Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-24, 12:46 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 971 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
What are your personal thoughts?
Ok please forgive but my first impression was way too much red on the dash.

However, after walking away and coming back to see a few times, I like it!

It's bold but to be honest, the whole car is bold., in a good way.
Old 06-28-24, 12:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

I love red leather interiors so I would say do it!
Old 06-28-24, 01:08 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I want to get some opinions here. I put my deposit down and configured my Cayenne but I still have a week to decide on some of my options. We are doing black exterior and black interior (I know, boring but that’s what my wife likes because she said white is too girly in this car and it’s her car, go figure).

We were at the dealer yesterday hoping to sit in the 18 way vs the 14 way seats and just our luck, no 18 ways were there. However, they did have the red interior and my wife thought it looked pretty good so now we are considering it. I’ve had the rioja red interior in our IS350 before and liked it so it’s not the first red interior for us but where I am hesitant is that the red doesn’t wrap around the edge of the seats and it’s black instead. Also not sure I feel about the red on the lower part of the dash.

I would love to get black interior with red stitching but that stitching is a $4k option, no thanks.

What are your personal thoughts?
That looks fantastic. Tell your wife I will judge her if she DOESN'T pick it.
Old 06-28-24, 01:31 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like I'm in the minority! I do like the darker mahogany red interior found on new Lincolns. The big draw here is the whole interior is painted in this color.

Old 06-28-24, 01:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Looks like I'm in the minority! I do like the darker mahogany red interior found on new Lincolns. The big draw here is the whole interior is painted in this color.

For whatever reason that color and angle just gave me 70s brown interior vibes HARD. I can't unsee it now
Old 06-28-24, 02:07 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
For whatever reason that color and angle just gave me 70s brown interior vibes HARD. I can't unsee it now
Of course it does. And I kinda like that.
Old 06-28-24, 02:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94

There is actually an upgraded leather that is an option called Barrique Red that they offer. It covers more surfaces on the door and center console. It looks red in pics but the salesman said it looks more red/brown in person which is true based on the sample I saw but he advised against it and said it doesn’t look good in his opinion and no one really options it. It’s all personal preference though but I bet you would like that color more.
Old 06-28-24, 02:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He looks like a Peter to me lol
I name stuff like that ordinary names and it drives my kids NUTS. They'll want to name a stuffed animal "Pooty mcRainbowcloud" and I'll say "No, I think he looks more like a Sean to me" lol
haha, well i ain't naming it peter. nemo works for me because it 'swims' like a fish around the pool.

patgilm, not a fan of red interiors, sorry. too pimptastic.

Definitely bittersweet, I am excited about the new one but I will miss this one, its been a great car. I hope I enjoy the new one as much as I did this one.
i understand bittersweet. i always feel guilty trading in a vehicle that i'm not showing gratitude for all the miles and fun and value i'd had from it.
but then i drive the new car for a while and get over it pretty quick.
Old 06-28-24, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i understand bittersweet. i always feel guilty trading in a vehicle that i'm not showing gratitude for all the miles and fun and value i'd had from it.
Yeah, I was kind of hoping I would never pick it up from service lol
Old 06-28-24, 03:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, well i ain't naming it peter. nemo works for me because it 'swims' like a fish around the pool.

patgilm, not a fan of red interiors, sorry. too pimptastic.

No worries, I was asking for opinions positive or negative, I was just curious because we’re 50/50 on it.

I also feel a little guilty when I get rid of my cars for another. I never loved my X7 but it was a great problem free car for over three years that was great on road trips. It’s in perfect condition inside and out and I hope it goes to a good home. With my Tesla I have no love for it anymore because it’s had bodywork so I will be happy when it goes.
Old 06-28-24, 05:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Peak first world issue.

I've grown addicted to driving my W12 and it's to the point when I'm off work I wash off, swap/ditch outer shirt, and then do an annoying routine of getting shoe covers on since god forbid I use all weather mats! All just so I don't have to drive anything else haha!

I'm actually strongly considering buying a single all weather mat for the drivers side only so I don't have to deal with the shoe covers anymore.
Old 06-28-24, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Or you could just periodically clean the floormat
Old 06-28-24, 06:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Or you could just periodically clean the floormat
I can't risk oil staining or screwing up the fibers lol! These took over a month to get here and I really probably shouldn't use the exclusive mats at all when I'm at work.....

I also do vacuum her out every time I'm home with the handy dandy wall mounted vac!
Old 06-28-24, 06:59 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker223

Peak first world issue.

I've grown addicted to driving my W12 and it's to the point when I'm off work I wash off, swap/ditch outer shirt, and then do an annoying routine of getting shoe covers on since god forbid I use all weather mats! All just so I don't have to drive anything else haha!

I'm actually strongly considering buying a single all weather mat for the drivers side only so I don't have to deal with the shoe covers anymore.
Im in the minority but I always toss the carpeted floor mats in the closet and solely use all weather mats because of my OCD. My LS had the nice tan mats and it stained over time and ever since then I always used all weather mats even with black interiors. I just take out the mats and hose them off especially with my kids and their food, dirt, etc that they drag in the car.
Old 06-28-24, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I much prefer carpet under my feet, I only use rubber mats when we have bad weather.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1