Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-24, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Smokin!...
Old 06-30-24, 09:34 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Can’t wait to see it, best color combo IMO. Congrats to you too, did you order it or did you have to find it at a dealer somewhere?
Thanks! I ordered it early February (not bespoke) since Lexus produces few coupes relative to convertibles.
Old 06-30-24, 10:45 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Got out and took some better pictures, will take more once its tinted!

The hood is a double pull like a BMW instead of having an underhood release like the W222:

This is the little ding they need to fix

this is the area of hard plastic I have complained about, in my W222 this was carpeted. I'm going to have it wrapped in Alcantara to match the B pillar and headliner

Looks great in that color. Did your old seats have the diamond stitching too? Looks so nice and luxurious although now that I see that black plastic I can’t unsee it just like my X7 in the lower footwell area after you pointed out the carpet in yours. Now I’m going to go look at the same spot in ky X7 and notice the same black plastic in mine.

Also, don’t get the ding fixed, I heard it was Lewis Hamilton himself bumping the door with his belt buckle. Could be a great story to tell.
Old 06-30-24, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Looks great in that color. Did your old seats have the diamond stitching too? Looks so nice and luxurious although now that I see that black plastic I can’t unsee it just like my X7 in the lower footwell area after you pointed out the carpet in yours. Now I’m going to go look at the same spot in ky X7 and notice the same black plastic in mine.

Also, don’t get the ding fixed, I heard it was Lewis Hamilton himself bumping the door with his belt buckle. Could be a great story to tell.
Hahaha! Could be he did that!

Yeah it’s the same in your X7. I was quoted $800 from a local shop to do my whole headliner in the S560 in alcantara, so I would imagine it would be cheap to wrap those parts. I would
leave the door thresholds plastic but wrap that and the part that goes up beside the dash. I could probably do it myself actually. I will see what the parts cost to replace before I screw them up myself!
Old 06-30-24, 11:23 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Hahaha! Could be he did that!

Yeah it’s the same in your X7. I was quoted $800 from a local shop to do my whole headliner in the S560 in alcantara, so I would imagine it would be cheap to wrap those parts. I would
leave the door thresholds plastic but wrap that and the part that goes up beside the dash. I could probably do it myself actually. I will see what the parts cost to replace before I screw them up myself!
Definitely something that's worth doing, that's the one part of my interior I don't understand why they never covered it in leather outside of the armored versions.
Old 06-30-24, 11:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

What are you talking to us for, go driving lol.

I can't even IMAGINE the new car smell in that beast with all the leather (didn't you get an upgrade?).
Old 06-30-24, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I’ve been driving! It does smell great inside, leather everywhere!
Old 06-30-24, 01:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

How does the powertrain feel compared to the old one?
Old 06-30-24, 01:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Did the old one have ambient lighting?
Old 06-30-24, 01:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Yep. But it gets cooler and cooler with each generation.
Old 06-30-24, 01:35 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this is the area of hard plastic I have complained about, in my W222 this was carpeted. I'm going to have it wrapped in Alcantara to match the B pillar and headliner

Very beautiful! But I can’t believe that is hard plastic in a vehicle that expensive. In my lowly GS that area is padded all the way down.
Old 06-30-24, 01:38 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

oh yes! Even the W221 had ambient lighting all the way back in 2006.

I actually like the yellow.
Old 06-30-24, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
How does the powertrain feel compared to the old one?
Very similar, almost identical. The start stop is much smoother but I’m still going to have it coded off. It actually is totally fine when stopping at a light and sitting there it’s when you stop for a second and then inch up it’s annoying because it causes the car to not roll when you take your foot off the brake.

It did but not as elaborate as that. I thought it was pretty elaborate but this big strip all the way around actually changes all along it as you drive. It also is interactive, it flashes red on that side if you try and merge into a lane with a car in it, etc.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Very beautiful! But I can’t believe that is hard plastic in a vehicle that expensive. In my lowly GS that area is padded all the way down.
Definitely weird! On a car where literally that’s the only plastic and everything else is leather. Even the lower doors and map pockets are leather.
Old 06-30-24, 03:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Very similar, almost identical. The start stop is much smoother but I’m still going to have it coded off. It actually is totally fine when stopping at a light and sitting there it’s when you stop for a second and then inch up it’s annoying because it causes the car to not roll when you take your foot off .
I always turn it off in the GMC but I will say it does a decent enough job of being seamless and it’s not eager to turn off. It’s just, conditions need to be optimum for it to be unnoticeable and that’s just not how driving is. My BIL is about to dump his Lincoln at a loss because he hates it so much in Atlanta traffic.

S-Class start stop is very aggressive. I ran into my buddy with his… it was unplanned. The second he stopped (for about .00001 seconds) just to tell me where he was going the car shut off immediately.

Is there still a button to disable it?
Old 06-30-24, 03:26 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I always turn it off in the GMC but I will say it does a decent enough job of being seamless and it’s not eager to turn off. It’s just, conditions need to be optimum for it to be unnoticeable and that’s just not how driving is. My BIL is about to dump his Lincoln at a loss because he hates it so much in Atlanta traffic.

S-Class start stop is very aggressive. I ran into my buddy with his… it was unplanned. The second he stopped (for about .00001 seconds) just to tell me where he was going the car shut off immediately.

Is there still a button to disable it?
I now understand why you hate stop/start so much. In my BMWs I really don’t notice it much at at and that’s even before the change to the mild hybrid over the last couple of years. Never really bothered me and I could always just hit a button to turn it off vs the newer models where you can’t.

Fast forward to this weekend. I have a Nissan Rogue for the week and it drives pretty good relatively speaking but the stop/start is horrible where it’s so annoying that I need to turn it off every time I drive now.

Based on the differences, I think implementation is a big deal in how annoying it is or isn’t.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1