Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-24, 03:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I now understand why you hate stop/start so much. In my BMWs I really don’t notice it much at at and that’s even before the change to the mild hybrid over the last couple of years. Never really bothered me and I could always just hit a button to turn it off vs the newer models where you can’t.

Fast forward to this weekend. I have a Nissan Rogue for the week and it drives pretty good relatively speaking but the stop/start is horrible where it’s so annoying that I need to turn it off every time I drive now.

Based on the differences, I think implementation is a big deal in how annoying it is or isn’t.
I agree, it must be in the implementation. I have two BMW's a 2019 and a 2024 and neither of them are mild hybrid. I really don't pay much attention to the auto stop/start. When they restart it's barely perceptible, but I've gotten used to it. At a stop light or sign if the car in front starts moving ahead just a little the engines start.
Old 06-30-24, 03:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I now understand why you hate stop/start so much. In my BMWs I really

Fast forward to this weekend. I have a Nissan Rogue for the week and it drives pretty good relatively speaking but the stop/start is horrible where it’s so annoying that I need to turn it off every time I drive now.

Based on the differences, I think implementation is a big deal in how annoying it is or isn’t.
It’s terrible and your last sentence is dead on.

It had better be smooth on an expensive truck/vehicle with a huge refined V8 like a Yukon.

Can’t imagine this with a crap engine on top of it.

I think the cancel button in W222 is literally the top half of the start button.

Old 06-30-24, 03:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

W222 start stop is pretty smooth actually.

But it’s horrendous still.
Old 06-30-24, 04:16 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

It's not bad at all in my 540i, but right now it's not being used at all because it's too hot outside so the climate control always keeps the engine on.
Old 06-30-24, 04:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

i'm sure you're right. it was fine in my santa fe though.

Old 06-30-24, 04:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
It's not bad at all in my 540i, but right now it's not being used at all because it's too hot outside so the climate control always keeps the engine on.
Apparently in some cars the HVAC turns off..... I hope that's not true.
Old 06-30-24, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I always turn it off in the GMC but I will say it does a decent enough job of being seamless and it’s not eager to turn off. It’s just, conditions need to be optimum for it to be unnoticeable and that’s just not how driving is. My BIL is about to dump his Lincoln at a loss because he hates it so much in Atlanta traffic.

S-Class start stop is very aggressive. I ran into my buddy with his… it was unplanned. The second he stopped (for about .00001 seconds) just to tell me where he was going the car shut off immediately.

Is there still a button to disable it?
Yep there’s a button, it just has to be hit at every restart. That’s what the coding does it remembers how you had it set. Same for the drive mode, I like
the engine in sport but everything else in comfort.

In cars with no 48v system the car can’t run the AC at the same power without the engine running. Not an issue with a 48v system
Old 06-30-24, 06:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am happy I don’t have start stop. Glad Toyota resisted it for so long
Old 06-30-24, 07:18 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

We have auto stop start on a few of our vehicles, and pretty much all of them work well enough that it’s of no concern with smooth disengagement and re-engagement plus no HVAC disruption. Keeping some of them in sport or the equivalent mode tends to limit or inhibit the feature. Regardless, it’s not something we worry about. Modern implementations work well.
Old 06-30-24, 07:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

I have yet to ever drive any start stop system that I didn't immediately start searching for the off button.
Old 06-30-24, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I did my first mod lol

I swapped out the crappy plastic rear license plate backing for the nice metal one like I did the S560. These make such a huge difference when mounting a nice plate frame with longer screws so that its solid and doesn't rattle, mercedes cars used to come with nice metal plate backings like this. Also put the plate on the front, we'll live with that for a while and see if I want to try and delete the front plate somehow.

I also got to drive the car on the highway some today. We were talking about not riding in the right lane? Well on Distronic the car won't ride in the right lane! It moves to the right when it senses nobody is in that lane. Pretty incredible! It also will make an appropriate passing maneuver on its own without you telling it to. That can be turned off. Also has two settings for Distronic. "Comfort" and "Dynamic" and it gets much closer in Dynamic...

Audio is INCREDIBLE. You can play Apple Music right from the infotainment and that has Atmos support, WOW is all I can say. What sounded good through CarPlay sounds AMAZING directly through the app. Honestly, I don't see much need for CarPlay...

More pictures of the ridiculous ambient lighting lol

Old 06-30-24, 09:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

Glad you are enjoying it, that mirrors my exact thoughts on CarPlay etc. it's a mass market gimmick that doesn't do anything well and kills audio quality IMO.
Old 07-01-24, 01:44 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I've got no experience with CarPlay as an Android user, but my limited experience with Android Auto was great. Probably won't bother spending the $7-800 to retrofit my car to use it though.

Spent some time this weekend working on the car a bit. BMW put a lot of foam insulation inside the center front air vents that basically blocks most of the air from coming out of them. It's a known issue with a service bulletin. I'm not in warranty of course, so I just pulled the dash apart yesterday and removed as much of that foam as I could by hand. Seems to blow a good bit better now, though the driver side vent remains stronger than the passenger side.

Also took the time to replace the cabin air filters. Per the recorded service history, the last time they were changed was 30k miles ago in 2021. They looked fairly dirty, but the other notable issue is that they were installed backwards. Got the new ones and facing the right direction and it seems much better now. Tomorrow will be the test of how the AC performs. Definitely hasn't done as well as the truck, Germany seems allergic to real cooling. It was a lot trickier to get these filters changed out than the one filter in my truck. Being a sedan automatically makes it harder to mess around in the passenger footwell, but I had to do some real yoga to get into a position where I could actually twist and move things. All while it was 100+ in my garage.
Old 07-01-24, 04:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Being a sedan automatically makes it harder to mess around in the passenger footwell, but I had to do some real yoga to get into a position where I could actually twist and move things. All while it was 100+ in my garage.
picturing that that's called bikram (or hot) yoga.

yeah in vegas need all the a/c you can get. do you have remote start on your bmw to cool it a bit before you get in?

granted not as hot here as lv, but my lc must have some amazing heat rejecting glass because it just doesn't get hot inside and i have a black interior and no aftermarket tint.
Old 07-01-24, 04:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...U8oaoN65UPwn4Q

Getting anywhere quickly in the X2 xDrive28i is something of a process, though, mainly because of the 2.0-liter turbo-four’s fuel-saving auto stop/start system. It’s the default with Comfort drive mode, and its calibration isn’t the most confidence-inspiring when you really need to boogie. The engine seemingly doesn’t refire until your foot is practically fully off the brake pedal, which results in an initial pause off the line if you move to quickly mat the throttle.

BMW gods are spinning. You could not hand me that thing, I'd sell it before even sitting in it.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Glad you are enjoying it, that mirrors my exact thoughts on CarPlay etc. it's a mass market gimmick that doesn't do anything well and kills audio quality IMO.
It's okay but it's nothing I'd have to have like a lot of people, reviewers say. You can't read the texts, I hate having stuff read to me.... can't stand it. I just pull over.

I like the vibrant screen and music setup etc in the GMC. But I can get in my 2014 LX570 and just say "Hey Siri" and get everything CarPlay does, just nothing visual.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1