Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-24, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At that price, it OUGHT to drive nice.
True lol. It’s all relative though. It’s a considerable savings from a flagship sedan
Old 01-18-24, 06:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
10 days or so ago, after our first real snowstorm I was out in the Q7 on Blizzaks. Roads were relatively empty, and a kinda gross combination of hardpack and slush. I decided to see what it would take to get it out of sorts, with the TC fully off. In a straight line it could still accelerate fast enough to give me a nice shove into the seat without the slightest hint of wiggle, and when going around corners it took more than half throttle to initiate a skid.

I always know intellectually how superior winter tires are in bad conditions, but my body forgets just how huge a difference it is when I haven't driven in those conditions for a year. Pairing them with Torsen AWD just makes a tank.
Yeah it's nuts, just imagine that lower to the ground with variable steering and a TVD on top of that lol!
Old 01-18-24, 06:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But my RWD/AWD LS460 didn’t have that issue, either Lexus’ skid control is better or it’s the wider tires
My gut reaction is tires....
Old 01-18-24, 06:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC300Es
NYS makes you register your car every two years but you can keep the plates you have. I have the same plates on my cars for 15 years. I don't like the new designs and they don't have the raised letters anymore.
Do other states let you keep the same plates over a long period of time?
Yes, I still have original plates for my truck
Old 01-18-24, 06:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Had an annoying issue at lunch today in the 540i. Was backing out of my parking spot and the sensors started beeping indicating that there was somebody coming, but there was absolutely nothing. It then slammed the brakes hard. It kept going off and braking every time i tried to keep backing out. I had to pull into the spot again and go through and disable the system so I could leave.
Those kind of false alarms do happen unfortunately, it was seeing something it thought was cross traffic. When I back the Pacifica into the garage it does that every time as I pass under the door, it just thinks there is something there...

Strange that you had to turn it off to push through it though
I've yet to experience this, every time I leave my garage I also have a car or two to my right side that I suppose would be a good reason to false alarm but it hasn't done so. Same deal when parking since I have to 3 point to make the turn...

I know it does work though since we tried at the end of the driveway with a few cars to see what it would do
Old 01-18-24, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Drove a GLS580 today. I drove numerous GLS450s when we were considering that to replace the Pacifica, but I have never driven a 580. I was out past Silver Spring today and MB of Silver Spring had a GLS580 and you rarely see them on a lot, so I figured I would take it for a spin.

I gotta say, the V8 really makes that a whole other vehicle. I'm really impressed by how light and easy to drive it is. Not as much so as the S Class of course but pretty darn close for the additional utility it has. Rides great and very quiet, this one didn't have the acoustic package which I would get and it didn't have the nappa interior package which I would get, that gives you nappa leather and real leather on the dash and doors etc. Unfortunately it only comes in black.

Absolutely loaded up it comes to $128,225, and that includes the burmester 3D surround system, comparatively an S580 optioned similarly would be ~ $150,000 so thats a big savings...and you get an SUV with a higher seating position, room for 3 rows...
nice, nice, i'm sure the gls580 is a steller drive, and as you say, loads of utility and luxury. ! love it.
Old 01-18-24, 07:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I just wonder if I would regret going to the SUV from the sedan…
Old 01-18-24, 07:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Depends on how you expect it to drive IMO. I have no expectations out of SUVs vs their same price car equivalents so it wouldn't bother me
Old 01-18-24, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

you and others talk about 'presence' which to me typically means 'size' and blinginess but the gls certainly makes its presence known!

you might prefer the s-class when parking though - the gls is a few inches wider (you'll have to move the blue tape haha), although slightly shorter, amazingly.
Old 01-18-24, 07:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My problem is I like the way both drive…I’d really like to have both lol
Old 01-18-24, 08:42 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Obviously it’s personal preference but I couldn’t drive my X7 every day. I like driving cars as my daily. They handle and accelerate better and just feel lighter. They are also much easier to park. People with the dynamic handling package that my X7 has say how it makes the it drive much smaller than it is but I disagree because I just like driving cars and it will never feel as small as a car.
Old 01-18-24, 09:00 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I never thought the X7 feels smaller than it is no matter what mode it’s in, and that includes the Alpina XB7 I used to have.

Personally I’d stay with the S-class, it’s a nicer vehicle than the GLS580. I’d take the Maybach GLS600 though.
Old 01-18-24, 09:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

My problem is I like the way both drive…I’d really like to have both lol
That's part of the reason I kept my truck when I bought the BMW. Some days I like to ride high above traffic. Other days I do not. And it has bought me a lot of time before I inevitably end up in a crossover.

On a related note, driving this car has been the first time I've really spent any time riding at sedan level since 2017. I've had the pleasure of noticing the wide prevalance of fake exhaust tips that manufacturers are putting on their cars to give a sportier appearance.

Here's a Camry that I saw at Costco tonight.

Old 01-18-24, 10:31 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

considering you don't seek out empty highways for the sole purpose of speeding i'd say the SUV makes a pretty strong case for itself lol

also i wanna make sure i'm getting this correct here, so the GLS is essentially a stretched GLE? i think it's built in the same alabama plant too (yikes...), which does genuinely give me some concern... idk who exactly is to blame here but my parents GLE had 2 quality "issues" from brand new: one of the wipers wasn't installed correctly and was leaving streaks everywhere until i fixed it, and the cover on the top of the steering column literally just came off on its own which also just required me to pop it back in place (it's been fine since)

can i assume it essentially drives nearly identical to the GLE? aka very nice under basically all situations, although the high center of gravity absolutely does become apparent at interstate speeds... the W222 is still a higher echelon of vehicle and i'd make all efforts to keep it
Old 01-19-24, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Obviously it’s personal preference but I couldn’t drive my X7 every day. I like driving cars as my daily. They handle and accelerate better and just feel lighter. They are also much easier to park. People with the dynamic handling package that my X7 has say how it makes the it drive much smaller than it is but I disagree because I just like driving cars and it will never feel as small as a car.
I also like driving cars as my daily, but I like a big SUV for road trips and when I go down to WV I like having that. Every time I get a new car I always really consider an SUV and I just wind up not doing it.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
considering you don't seek out empty highways for the sole purpose of speeding i'd say the SUV makes a pretty strong case for itself lol

also i wanna make sure i'm getting this correct here, so the GLS is essentially a stretched GLE? i think it's built in the same alabama plant too (yikes...), which does genuinely give me some concern... idk who exactly is to blame here but my parents GLE had 2 quality "issues" from brand new: one of the wipers wasn't installed correctly and was leaving streaks everywhere until i fixed it, and the cover on the top of the steering column literally just came off on its own which also just required me to pop it back in place (it's been fine since)

can i assume it essentially drives nearly identical to the GLE? aka very nice under basically all situations, although the high center of gravity absolutely does become apparent at interstate speeds... the W222 is still a higher echelon of vehicle and i'd make all efforts to keep it
Its essentially a stretched GLE, but the longer wheelbase and extra weight make it feel more stable and planted. Driving them back to back the GLS feels much closer to the S Class than the GLE. Its actually pretty amazing just how close it is. Not quite there. The V8 also really changes the way it feels...I have driven several GLS450s but this was the first GLS580 I drove.

I certainly can keep the W222, its just I have to buy a warranty and buy it out and all of that, and there are tax implications it would reduce my tax savings while not really reducing my outlay...

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1