Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-24, 11:17 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I am getting a new to me car itch because it will be 5 years with the Civic in December and I looked at the Integra Type S but only online. I don’t know that I want to stir gears with a 6MT in SoCal traffic even though I usually only drive to the German club, which is 14 miles away and to my folks’ house which is 30 miles away. The car seems like it has a high fun factor, but it deletes a lot of features that my Civic has such as heated rear seats and power adjustment on both front seats.

I am 53 years old and though I still love fun cars that are clearly aimed at a younger age bracket. I still want some luxury. I am eyeballing IS500s. They are still a bit pricey, but damn, what a car. I know a couple guys here have them. What are your impressions if you don’t mind answering?
Old 07-08-24, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I am getting a new to me car itch because it will be 5 years with the Civic in December and I looked at the Integra Type S but only online. I don’t know that I want to stir gears with a 6MT in SoCal traffic even though I usually only drive to the German club, which is 14 miles away and to my folks’ house which is 30 miles away. The car seems like it has a high fun factor, but it deletes a lot of features that my Civic has such as heated rear seats and power adjustment on both front seats.

I am 53 years old and though I still love fun cars that are clearly aimed at a younger age bracket. I still want some luxury. I am eyeballing IS500s. They are still a bit pricey, but damn, what a car. I know a couple guys here have them. What are your impressions if you don’t mind answering?
I thought you were done with Honda because of the air-conditioning?
Old 07-08-24, 11:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Random story about my drive back from the airport on Saturday. We were a bit late getting to the airport when we left so I was a bit low on gas and didn't have time to fill up. Estimated range was ~50 when I parked and home is about 48 miles away from the airport, but with slight elevation gain most of the way. We get to the car and have to crank the AC because it's 90 at 10PM and humid AF. I start driving home and have a few gas stations I'm confident I can get to in order to get gas, so no problem right? Well if y'all remember, NJ is a state where you can't pump your own gas. Normally, I love it, but that means that most gas stations close at a certain time.

I get to my first gas station about 15 miles away from home. My estimated range is ~10 miles. Station is closed. The next one up is about 3 miles up the road. Closed. The next one up is about 3 miles after that. Closed. At this point, I'm sitting at 3 miles of estimated range with 9ish miles left to go. My last option is a Wawa that's a little off the path, but still closer than home so I start making my way there. Turn up the temp in the car, stick right at speed limit (55), and just be real gentle on the gas. Thankfully, roads were empty at 10:45ish so I wasn't slowing anyone down. The last 5 miles I ran with the estimated range at 0 and chatting with the kids because they were still on PST. I pull into the Wawa (open 24 hours!) and as I turn the car off, I tell my wife I've been past E the last 5 minutes so let's see how close we were to running out of gas.

I get the receipt back and 16.9 gallons. Total 2018 Ody tank size? MF'ing 19.5 gallons. I still had like 60 miles of range on this dumb thing. Thanks for reading my TED talk
The fuel tank in my Tundra is 38 gallons, and the fuel light comes on with 8 gallons left. I can literally drive over 100 miles more before I need to worry about it, though I tend to fill it up earlier because it's a beast to fill when it's low.
Old 07-08-24, 11:48 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Depends entirely if you have long term concerns, I have yet to encounter a cylinder management system that doesn't cause issues long term.
I want this truck to last for the next 20 years.

There are a few naysayers of that ODB plug but it does do the job and cancel the AFM. The dealer can’t tell you’ve used it either.
Old 07-08-24, 11:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Dropped my car off for PPF and window tint, decided against the windshield. The blueish tint the windshield has already would be amplified by the tint...

Check out what was parked next to me in for a full wrap...

Old 07-08-24, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Great news for Mike and Jill and bad news for the rest of us
https://www.techspot.com/news/103684...s-enhance.html
bogus headline says "European Union mandates speed limiters on all new cars to enhance road safety"

they do not limit speed, just alert driver when going over speed limit.

Originally Posted by JDR76
The last two times I was in the UK my rentals (Nissan Qashqai and an MG HS) had a dash warning for going over the speed limit. I actually appreciated it as in England there are speed cameras all over the highways, so it did help to keep me aware of that. At least it was not intrusive - not a limiter or anything like that, just a flashing indication.
exactly. when i was in austria and in uk last 2 years the feature was in both cars... no issue really. as you say, with speed cameras everywhere, the alerts probably saved me a few euros/pounds. but that's europe, a heavy surveillance region. i hope those alerts and zillions of speed cameras never come to u.s.
Old 07-08-24, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I get the receipt back and 16.9 gallons. Total 2018 Ody tank size? MF'ing 19.5 gallons. I still had like 60 miles of range on this dumb thing. Thanks for reading my TED talk
They do this because if you load up the vehicle with a big trailer out back, and gear inside, an unloaded 60 miles of range goes real fast if you max out towing a trailer.
Old 07-08-24, 12:18 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

The fuel tank in my Tundra is 38 gallons, and the fuel light comes on with 8 gallons left. I can literally drive over 100 miles more before I need to worry about it, though I tend to fill it up earlier because it's a beast to fill when it's low.
In the rental QX80 I had to reactivate the pump during a fill up because I hit the $75 limit. It did not give me the warm and fuzzies
Old 07-08-24, 12:21 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

I've spent some considerable time recently thinking about picking up a GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2 V8 and 10 speed. It drives really well, and the transmission was super smooth. The engine felt and sounded great. There are really three things holding me back:

- Small fuel tank. At 24 gallons and while towing, I won't make it very far without needing to stop, and I HATE to fuel up with the trailer attached. My Tundra has a 38 gallon tank, and I definitely use it while towing.
- Price. Unfortunately, it was the Denali Ultimate trim that I fell in love with, but at $87k, I'm just not sure that I really want to spend that much on a truck.
- Unknown reliability. Lots of scary stuff online about the fuel management system on the 6.2. It's 2024, and I don't feel like I should have to disable an engine feature in order to make it reliable.
Coworker drives a Sierra Denali told another coworker with a Sierra “you would be a fool to not have an extended warranty because 💩 is going to break. I use my warranty a lot.”

4WD
catalytic converter replacement
radio
differential

Some of the repairs he’s made so far under 70k miles while under warranty.

Random story about my drive back from the airport on Saturday. We were a bit late getting to the airport when we left so I was a bit low on gas and didn't have time to fill up. Estimated range was ~50 when I parked and home is about 48 miles away from the airport, but with slight elevation gain most of the way. We get to the car and have to crank the AC because it's 90 at 10PM and humid AF. I start driving home and have a few gas stations I'm confident I can get to in order to get gas, so no problem right? Well if y'all remember, NJ is a state where you can't pump your own gas. Normally, I love it, but that means that most gas stations close at a certain time.

I get to my first gas station about 15 miles away from home. My estimated range is ~10 miles. Station is closed. The next one up is about 3 miles up the road. Closed. The next one up is about 3 miles after that. Closed. At this point, I'm sitting at 3 miles of estimated range with 9ish miles left to go. My last option is a Wawa that's a little off the path, but still closer than home so I start making my way there. Turn up the temp in the car, stick right at speed limit (55), and just be real gentle on the gas. Thankfully, roads were empty at 10:45ish so I wasn't slowing anyone down. The last 5 miles I ran with the estimated range at 0 and chatting with the kids because they were still on PST. I pull into the Wawa (open 24 hours!) and as I turn the car off, I tell my wife I've been past E the last 5 minutes so let's see how close we were to running out of gas.

I love it!! It’s ok to live dangerous sometimes. 🤣

Originally Posted by link13

Want to have fun rowing gears and have the option to mod if you get bored, Type S. Don't plan modding and want a smooth sounding V8, IS.

I do this on every vehicle on every tank. Reset trip A at fill ups and reset trip B when the gas light flashes/DTE reads zero. Only the track car I have to keep it above half tank from fuel sloshing around and the gauge not always reading accurately when on track.
Old 07-08-24, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm not a pink kind of guy but the color is strangely interesting. Those are three diverse vehicles in the pic.
Yeah it looked good. It’s like a pinkish silver.

Haha, could have been worse! I’m amazed by how early gas stations close nowadays.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Haha, truth.
Old 07-08-24, 12:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

bogus headline says "European Union mandates speed limiters on all new cars to enhance road safety"

they do not limit speed, just alert driver when going over speed limit.

exactly. when i was in austria and in uk last 2 years the feature was in both cars... no issue really. as you say, with speed cameras everywhere, the alerts probably saved me a few euros/pounds. but that's europe, a heavy surveillance region. i hope those alerts and zillions of speed cameras never come to u.s.
​​​​​​ My concern is that the next logical step is to mandate the the car actually slows down when you exceed the speed limit, and at that point it would just be a software update away. Even here in the US we have some real wet blanket type personalities that would love to force this on us instead of just going outside and yelling at the neighbor kids.
Old 07-08-24, 12:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
​​​​​​ My concern is that the next logical step is to mandate the the car actually slows down when you exceed the speed limit, and at that point it would just be a software update away. Even here in the US we have some real wet blanket type personalities that would love to force this on us instead of just going outside and yelling at the neighbor kids.
oh it's coming, for sure. if the tech even limited speed to 20% over i'd be fine with it. just the other day a local rich kid (17) drove 120mph down a 2 lane city street in parents mercedes suv while blind drunk (1.8), smashed into a miata coming the other way driven by a young couple coming back from vacation. the couple both died. they found 'pieces' of the guy all over and the woman was burned to nothing. of course kid survived but he's up for vehicular manslaughter. rich parents of course are fighting it all the way so precious' future isn't spoiled. of course the kid's named ends in "iii" (the third).
Old 07-08-24, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Check out what was parked next to me in for a full wrap...

does look like CT has more 'presence' as it seems to be defined.

CT is straight up fugly.
Old 07-08-24, 12:33 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

the E55 has a somewhat aggressive low fuel warning light that first comes on not too long after the gauge drops below ¼ tank, which i guess is understandable considering how quickly that remaining fuel could be used up haha... the 55 actually is programmed to have the light come on earlier than the 320 and 500, but even still i don't think i've ever put more than 18 gallons into that car at once

with the LS i've also never put more than 19.5 or so gallons in (out of 22.5) and at that point it had stopped even showing a distance to empty reading... the needle was on empty and once you drop below 25 miles of estimated range it just displays 'low fuel'
Old 07-08-24, 12:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

does look like CT has more 'presence' as it seems to be defined.

CT is straight up fugly.
it seems like seeing a cybertruck actually on the road was a big deal for about 6 or 7 minutes and now it's just like oh there's another member of the "more money than brains club" (as leno puts it lol)... i feel like i'm seeing several per week now and the novelty has worn off

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1