Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-24, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Missed that post, yes the active suspension is a must have from what I have heard!
Old 07-08-24, 08:38 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I think the IS500 would be a riot.
I think so too. If I wait a year or two, the IS500 price will drop a bit, but the value of my Civic will too. I am paying a grip to store my still not running AE86 and when I get that car home hopefully in a few months, it frees up money to spend on an IS500. Say I cash out of the Civic for $15k and that’s a bit conservative as a seller. There’s a lot available for a monthly but and that’s a decent down payment.

I will get side eye because I work for the EV business unit of The Pecten but even some of the EV enthusiasts cannot deny that V8s are sublime.
Old 07-08-24, 08:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I can’t find the master MB E Class thread. Saw the new E350 at Mercedes Benz I love the exterior look amd front end. Feels very retro like 80s for some reason. Interior is really nice. I was wrong about the screen, in perosn it was great. This was the hyper screen model and I think it works because the driver has a separate screen. I thought the materials were great. The lower door sill area doesn’t really feel German. MBUX is sensational, very high end and its own experience. Mercedes absolutely get the software right. I really liked the pop out door handles, they felt nice unlike the EQS for some reason. Overall a really nice size too, a real midsize.
Old 07-08-24, 09:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I can’t find the master MB E Class thread. Saw the new E350 at Mercedes Benz I love the exterior look amd front end. Feels very retro like 80s for some reason. Interior is really nice. I was wrong about the screen, in perosn it was great. This was the hyper screen model and I think it works because the driver has a separate screen. I thought the materials were great. The lower door sill area doesn’t really feel German. MBUX is sensational, very high end and its own experience. Mercedes absolutely get the software right. I really liked the pop out door handles, they felt nice unlike the EQS for some reason. Overall a really nice size too, a real midsize.
The new E is very nice. They have a wagon at my dealer which is also really nice. They nailed that car.

The door handles are annoying. Its just a design where when you're trying to operate the doors quickly, they get glitchy and slow you down. Example. You close the door and need to open it right back up because you forgot something...very unhappy door handles. Often they pop out and you are pulling on it and the doors don't unlock for a second. They feel super high quality, but from a function perspective regular old door handles are just better.
Old 07-08-24, 09:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The new E is very nice. They have a wagon at my dealer which is also really nice. They nailed that car.

The door handles are annoying. Its just a design where when you're trying to operate the doors quickly, they get glitchy and slow you down. Example. You close the door and need to open it right back up because you forgot something...very unhappy door handles. Often they pop out and you are pulling on it and the doors don't unlock for a second. They feel super high quality, but from a function perspective regular old door handles are just better.

I can just visualize the poor guy who is about to reopen the door to his Yaris as he watches the horror for the guy with the Mercedes and those fancy “latches”. Yeah seems like a hassle. Never thought of it that way.
Old 07-08-24, 09:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes they pop out when you approach it, sometimes they don't and you have to press on them to get them to pop out...they have a big wow factor, but living with them its form over function.
Old 07-08-24, 09:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I see where they are going with MBUX experience. Will likely get one hooked. Have to upgrade after 3-4 years.
Old 07-08-24, 09:37 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yep.

I think EVs as a whole are pretty much done. Rich people will always buy expensive Teslas but there never was an EV craze despite what the TV said, and now finally the MSM is leaving us alone and not mentioning them. I don't think sales will ever get much higher than the last year or so for BEVs.
Not even lol. Teslas are absolutely everywhere. The seal is broken and EV's are growing. Maybe in Tennessee you were able to not see it happening but it's absolutely happening.
Old 07-08-24, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

EV sales did take a sharp dip early this year. This site goes into it in more detail.

https://www.goldmansachs.com/intelli...s-slowing.html
Old 07-08-24, 09:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I can just visualize the poor guy who is about to reopen the door to his Yaris as he watches the horror for the guy with the Mercedes and those fancy “latches”. Yeah seems like a hassle. Never thought of it that way.
You have to actively adjust how you do things around them, IMO that's opposite of luxury since it's supposed to make it easier not annoying. I wish there was an option to leave them out unless the car is locked via manual fob press or something like that so they can be retracted only when you want them to be like folding mirrors.
Old 07-08-24, 11:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yes, they are. So much has been invested in EVs and more and more countries and cities are going to severely restrict the purchase and use of ICE vehicles. Steadily more and more people will choose EVs when they go to buy, the percentage of EVs on the roads will steadily rise.
Invested? You mean wasted money because nobody is buying them. They massively overestimated the demand. You told me about 20 times that MB wasn't building any more ICE engines... look how that turned out. They're walking all of that back and investing in ICE. How many makes of cars have eaten their words about EVs?? Just about all of them.

You act like we are in Europe or slaves to the government. We do have a voice in this country, we can vote to get CAFE to be less ridiculous. Not all administrations/people are against fossil fuels. I'm about a clean planet too, but cars shutting off in drive thrus and lights is just ridiculous and everyone hates it.

I guarantee new registrations for EV will never top 15-20%, at least not in this lifetime.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Not even lol. Teslas are absolutely everywhere. The seal is broken and EV's are growing. Maybe in Tennessee you were able to not see it happening but it's absolutely happening.
Teslas are everywhere too but I live in the rich part of my town and I'm guessing most on here do too. I have said time and time again for everyone to go to the blue collar parts of their towns and count how many EVs they see....because there won't be many. EVs just aren't practical. They're not going anywhere but they're never taking over gas vehicles as a whole.

We'll see at the end of the year what the % was.
Old 07-09-24, 03:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Yep.

I think EVs as a whole are pretty much done. Rich people will always buy expensive Teslas but there never was an EV craze despite what the TV said, and now finally the MSM is leaving us alone and not mentioning them. I don't think sales will ever get much higher than the last year or so for BEVs.
Even though 2024 US EV sales are up 25% vs. the same period in 2023? Sure it's not 46% like last year was over 2022, and growth will continue to slow as those levels are not sustainable as the base continues to grow. But growth is growth, and more importantly 25% is still a lot larger than the 2.9% growth the overall market saw in the same period.

Last edited by geko29; 07-09-24 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-09-24, 04:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Invested? You mean wasted money because nobody is buying them. They massively overestimated the demand. You told me about 20 times that MB wasn't building any more ICE engines... look how that turned out. They're walking all of that back and investing in ICE. How many makes of cars have eaten their words about EVs?? Just about all of them.
”nobody is buying them” is just not true. Sales of EVs grow year over year every year. You speak is if we have seen a decline in sales YoY and we have not. Sales are still growing. Until that changes the statement “EVs are finished” just makes no sense.

Because demand hasn’t grown as quickly as they thought doesn’t mean it isn’t growing and won’t continue to grow.

act like we are in Europe or slaves to the government. We do have a voice in this country, we can vote to get CAFE to be less ridiculous. Not all administrations/people are against fossil fuels. I'm about a clean planet too, but cars shutting off in drive thrus and lights is just ridiculous and everyone hates it.
Look at the type of cars they sell in Europe vs here. That is absolutely because of regulations. More and more cities are limiting the type of vehicles they will allow to be driven there, that’s not going to change. All of that goes into what carmakers sell.

Why do you think the C63 AMG and M5 are these hybrid things? This is why. In a lot of places in the world they simply cannot sell a V8 C63 or a non hybridized M5. China is the largest growth market and they are rapidly moving towards an ICE ban.

We live in a global economy, carmakers design cars for the world not just for us with very few exceptions. It makes no sense to have an EV lineup for the rest of the world and gas for us lol

guarantee new registrations for EV will never top 15-20%, at least not in this lifetime.
This is 100% driven by your own dislike of EVs, I see absolutely no basis for that statement.

Another example is shifting attitudes. My kids are 9, they are HORRIFIED that I bought an ICE car. They personally want an EV and that’s all they want. All their friends are the same. They are the consumers of the future.

Teslas are everywhere too but I live in the rich part of my town and I'm guessing most on here do too. I have said time and time again for everyone to go to the blue collar parts of their towns and count how many EVs they see....because there won't be many. EVs just aren't practical. They're not going anywhere but they're never taking over gas vehicles as a whole.

We'll see at the end of the year what the % was.
By that logic luxury cars are going extinct too because you don’t see them in poorer areas of town. BTW, I see old Teslas in poorer areas here all the time.

In 20 years I guarantee well over 20% of the cars on the road will be EVs. It’s over that here now just from what I see.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-09-24 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-09-24, 07:07 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

E Class Wagon on the lot? Do tell. Is it an an AMG and hence, heavily into 6 six figures?
Old 07-09-24, 07:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

I love me a wagon. If I were to go back to ICE, it'd be for an RS6 Avant

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1