Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-24, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In 20 years I guarantee well over 20% of the cars on the road will be EVs. It’s over that here now just from what I see.
If we don't get cracking with a serious increase in the number of recharging-stations for people who don't have them at home, AND a serious increase in power-generating capacity to back up those recharging stations, that 20% is going to be sitting at home, with dead batteries, rather than on the road.

It is times like what we have right now (extreme hot or cold temperatures) that will really test the system, as power-demand for heating/cooling homes and businesses will also drain the capacity. We may not be able to do that and recharge millions of EVs at the same time.
Old 07-09-24, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If we don't get cracking with a serious increase in the number of recharging-stations for people who don't have them at home, AND a serious increase in power-generating capacity to back up those recharging stations, that 20% is going to be sitting at home, with dead batteries, rather than on the road.

It is times like what we have right now (extreme hot or cold temperatures) that will really test the system, as power-demand for heating/cooling homes and businesses will also drain the capacity. We may not be able to do that and recharge millions of EVs at the same time.
These things are both absolutely coming. There is a ton of money being invested in this infrastructure as we speak.

Think about the demands on the electrical grid we have today vs what we had 20 years ago, or 40 years ago. It will continue to adapt and be improved to meet the needs of the population as it always has.
Old 07-09-24, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Think about the demands on the electrical grid we have today vs what we had 20 years ago, or 40 years ago. It will continue to adapt and be improved to meet the needs of the population as it always has.
i agree. although, industrial and office electrical use has probably skyrocketed, but residential has probably gone down a lot per unit at least with led lightbulbs, MUCH more efficient a/c and appliances, etc.

but overall power consumption continues to skyrocket due to population growth, electric cars, data centers, industrial use. and power companies and consumers are adapting and expanding availability as you say.

Old 07-09-24, 10:06 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

There's definitely still localized grid demand issues. I get harrassing texts every summer from NV Energy telling me to shut my AC off so they can send power to ease California's overstressed grid.
Old 07-09-24, 10:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
E Class Wagon on the lot? Do tell. Is it an an AMG and hence, heavily into 6 six figures?
Still the old design.
Old 07-09-24, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

E Class Wagon on the lot? Do tell. Is it an an AMG and hence, heavily into 6 six figures?
Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Still the old design.
This was the new design, just an E450 wagon. Price was around 90k

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-09-24 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-09-24, 12:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This was the new design, just an E450 wagon. Price was around 80k
my bad. Yeah correct. Available now. Don’t like those plastic wheel well cladding
Old 07-09-24, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Corrected the price, I hit 8 and meant 9
Old 07-09-24, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

My kids are 9, they are HORRIFIED that I bought an ICE car. They personally want an EV and that’s all they want. All their friends are the same. They are the consumers of the future.
i assume that comes from 'education' at school... 'climate change', evils of fossil fuels, etc.

are your 9 year olds also 'horrified' at anything plastic, or concrete, or you know, fertilizer used in food production, becuase that all comes from fossil fuels too.

i do agree that the evidence is clear that ev sales continue to grow, just maybe not at the rate all car makers expected, but market will do what it does, supply and demand.
Old 07-09-24, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

These things are both absolutely coming. There is a ton of money being invested in this infrastructure as we speak.

You saw what happened in Texas a couple years ago....and what a massive disaster that power-failure was.

My kids are 9, they are HORRIFIED that I bought an ICE car. They personally want an EV and that’s all they want. All their friends are the same. They are the consumers of the future.
Well, you have a vehicle right now that is at least part-EV...the Pacifica Hybrid. Point that out to them....that should stop at least some of their whining.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-24 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-09-24, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i assume that comes from 'education' at school... 'climate change', evils of fossil fuels, etc.

are your 9 year olds also 'horrified' at anything plastic, or concrete, or you know, fertilizer used in food production, becuase that all comes from fossil fuels too.

i do agree that the evidence is clear that ev sales continue to grow, just maybe not at the rate all car makers expected, but market will do what it does, supply and demand.
They don’t really understand the environmental reality and no they’re not environmentally conscious really because we’re not. Electric cars though to them are cool, and gas cars aren’t.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You saw what happened in Texas a couple years ago....and what a massive disaster that power-failure was.
Seems to be not happening now though right? Because things have been upgraded.
Old 07-09-24, 07:38 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Most kids these days are uninterested in cars entirely.
Old 07-09-24, 07:39 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not ready for an EV and I don’t care for the local and state mandates. There is some peer pressure to get an EV because I work for the EV division of a big oil company but we call ourselves an energy company. If I get an IS500, there will be side eye. If I show up at HQ, they will never know, but at the innovation center, everyone will see it lol.
Old 07-09-24, 07:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I am not ready for an EV and I don’t care for the local and state mandates. There is some peer pressure to get an EV because I work for the EV division of a big oil company but we call ourselves an energy company. If I get an IS500, there will be side eye. If I show up at HQ, they will never know, but at the innovation center, everyone will see it lol.
Lease a commuter EV and get an IS500 for fun lol

Those kind of job pressures though are nothing new. My Dad drove American cars for a long time because he did business with labor unions and he was afraid a foreign car would alienate them.

Even after he got the LS400 he still took my Explorer when he played golf with them etc.
Old 07-09-24, 07:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Most kids these days are uninterested in cars entirely.
Let them experience top fuel. It's life changing lol!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1