Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-24, 08:11 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

A partner at my firm just traded his Lexus in for an Elantra. Screw image and peer pressure.
Old 07-09-24, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
A partner at my firm just traded his Lexus in for an Elantra. Screw image and peer pressure.

Totally agree....never mind what others think. After five years, I traded my Lexus for an Outback...I wanted something that would go in snow.
Old 07-09-24, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I don’t care what other people think either, I buy what I like. Somebody who is happy with an Elantra wasted money on a Lexus if cars aren’t their thing.

With that said, the car you drive makes an impression about you. In a field like link13 is in, driving an ICE car could impact his career if it makes him look like he’s not mentally aligned with his company’s ethos. My Dad, he could potentially have lost the business of those unions by driving a foreign car and that telegraphing to them that he didn’t care about supporting American labor. When you’re in sales what you drive and how that makes you appear to your customers makes an impact.
Old 07-09-24, 08:31 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Let them experience top fuel. It's life changing lol!
That's the way.
Let them hear the engines and crowds roar.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
...Those kind of job pressures though are nothing new. My Dad drove American cars for a long time because he did business with labor unions and he was afraid a foreign car would alienate them....
He was right, it would. Lol
Pulling up to a labor union in an import, not a good look. 🤓

Originally Posted by link13
I am not ready for an EV and I don’t care for the local and state mandates. There is some peer pressure to get an EV because I work for the EV division of a big oil company but we call ourselves an energy company. If I get an IS500, there will be side eye. If I show up at HQ, they will never know, but at the innovation center, everyone will see it lol.
And, what every doesn't know is the execs of these big companies have v12 luxury cars, yachts, and planes, all ICE of course. Lol

EV's are for the little guy as far as their concerned. Lol

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Totally agree....never mind what others think. After five years, I traded my Lexus for an Outback...I wanted something that would go in snow.
I do whatever works for me.
I'm not in a place where I have to drive a certain kind of car for business image.

As long as it has metallic paint, leather seats, some wood trim, and chrome, I'm sold. Haha
Old 07-09-24, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m kind of in a weird place car vs career, because I sell and operate a team, but I also manage an office for a large brokerage so I’m an employee in part. Because I still sell and that’s unusual I make a lot more money than my management peers. So, my car makes me uncomfortable around them, but it’s not uncomfortable amongst other salespeople in my field because my income isn’t unusual there.
Old 07-09-24, 08:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

I’m kind of in a weird place car vs career, because I sell and operate a team, but I also manage an office for a large brokerage so I’m an employee in part. Because I still sell and that’s unusual I make a lot more money than my management peers. So, my car makes me uncomfortable around them, but it’s not uncomfortable amongst other salespeople in my field because my income isn’t unusual there.
Makes sense to me. I got a very weird reaction one time from a parts store when I went in on my day off in my usual clothes and car.
Old 07-09-24, 08:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven’t even told any of them about the new car lol. The old one I kind of played off as “yeah that was my agent car”…the new one it will be obvious that yeah I can still afford one of these!
Old 07-09-24, 08:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

And, what every doesn't know is the execs of these big companies have v12 luxury cars, yachts, and planes, all ICE of course. Lol

l

And Lexus has such a yacht for you

Old 07-09-24, 09:22 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
One of my partners at my firm is a car guy and has a Raptor R and just got his wife a GLE63 AMG. He is the only one I talk cars about because accountants generally aren’t into cars and see them as a waste of money. I also don’t tell people I work with what I drive, I will just say a Tesla or BMW but not specify what models.
Old 07-10-24, 03:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
One of my partners at my firm is a car guy and has a Raptor R and just got his wife a GLE63 AMG. He is the only one I talk cars about because accountants generally aren’t into cars and see them as a waste of money. I also don’t tell people I work with what I drive, I will just say a Tesla or BMW but not specify what models.
"I also have this old Nissan..."
Old 07-10-24, 05:03 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
"I also have this old Nissan..."
Funny thing is somehow I told someone at work that I had a GTR and they seriously had never heard of it and had no idea it was a Nissan. No sense in trying to explain what it was so the conversation stopped.
Old 07-10-24, 05:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Pulling up to a labor union in an import, not a good look. 🤓
that was true 40 years ago. now, with a global car business, i don't think it's the same. and even if it's 'not a good look', i don't care.

EV's are for the little guy as far as their concerned. Lol
not an either or... tons of rich people have teslas, lucids, mb eqs, ford lightnings, etc. i know i see loads of 'em when i drive through the country club developments and from my clients.

i don't feel bad for you.
Old 07-10-24, 05:40 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I don’t care what other people think either, I buy what I like. Somebody who is happy with an Elantra wasted money on a Lexus if cars aren’t their thing.

With that said, the car you drive makes an impression about you. In a field like link13 is in, driving an ICE car could impact his career if it makes him look like he’s not mentally aligned with his company’s ethos. My Dad, he could potentially have lost the business of those unions by driving a foreign car and that telegraphing to them that he didn’t care about supporting American labor. When you’re in sales what you drive and how that makes you appear to your customers makes an impact.
I am concerned that an IS500 could be perceived as a middle finger to the mission of our division. I could rent a Tesla from Hertz near Disneyland and take that when I go to the innovation center. They will let me pull it in the big bay and charge it during our meetings. One thing I don’t know is if they want it back with the charge level I take it out with. I am not set up for home charging.
Old 07-10-24, 05:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I am concerned that an IS500 could be perceived as a middle finger to the mission of our division. I could rent a Tesla from Hertz near Disneyland and take that when I go to the innovation center. They will let me pull it in the big bay and charge it during our meetings. One thing I don’t know is if they want it back with the charge level I take it out with. I am not set up for home charging.
your job shouldn't be at risk because of what you drive. renting a car to fake what you drive is lame. you do you.
Old 07-10-24, 05:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that was true 40 years ago. now, with a global car business, i don't think it's the same. and even if it's 'not a good look', i don't care.
Well, this was 40 years ago lol, 30-40 years ago.

You might care if those people you’re potentially pissing off are customers who’s business makes up 30% of your income lol

i don't feel bad for you.
LOL, cry me a river right?

It absolutely could. I would consider doing that.

Worst thing they will do it make you pay $25 if it’s not charged. No big deal.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1