Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-24, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
No diesel for me. I’m averaging 7.2mph because I’m not towing 65mph. I’ve gotten as low as 6.6mpg on a trip.

My friend duramax left him stranded 6hrs away from home after a track day and his truck remained in the shop for week and half 6hrs away from home.

Have an 06 Cummins 1 ton used on the farm that’s recently out of the tranny shop and less than 2 weeks back in the tranny shop. Tundra gets thrown into hay hauling duty cause the Cummins in the shop

Idk man. I’ll be switching over to premium in the Tundra when I add the blower

100% non ethanol fuel in our lawn equipment.

From a tuner, he did mention the 5.7 does pull timing when you run 87 vs premium. I’m not sure if I could tell difference via butt dyno between 87 and 93 but my friend uses 93 when he tows and 87 when not towing in his Tundra.
It does say in the manual to use 91 for optimal performance. Not sure what tundra says. My 4R says it

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-13-24 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-13-24, 08:51 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
It does say in the manual to use 91 for optimal performance. Not sure what tundra says. My 4R says it

Old 07-14-24, 05:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Why do you put 91 in your Mercedes SL but not your Lexus LX?
I don’t get it either, but to each their own.

We made it to the beach. Only took one car for the first time since my kids have been alive. Got a roof box for the Pacifica and put all our chairs and all up there, did great! Bummed I didn’t get to drive the S580 but at least it’s safe in the garage at home vs sitting outside the condo all week. I’ll snap a picture of the Pacifica with the roof box installed, it’s pretty funny lol
Old 07-14-24, 05:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here it is with the roof box. Looks like I’m ready for an Overland lol.

Now I just hope I remember that big concrete lump thing when I back out

I love the roof rack on these vans. The crossbars hide in the rails and just unhook and screw in.
Old 07-14-24, 05:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Idk man. I’ll be switching over to premium in the Tundra when I add the blower
Oh, add the S/C to the 5.7 and it absolutely needs premium.....lots of it lol.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t get it either, but to each their own.
l
This has been beaten to death but it still amuses me. It seems to me, or I feel like you've said in the past "if it says use premium, use premium" which I agree with except in some cases including this one. I don't mean this smart ***, but what part don't you get that this is the exact same motor, in every single way, that went into the Toyotas that wanted regular?? I don't like wasting unnecessary money on a truck that gets 12MPG. I bet the 5.7 would run ok on 85. It's a brick. I would feel like a sucker wasting $12-15 a tank, it is what it is. It does not need premium lol. Go ask the head Lexus tech.

The Mercedes is my baby, my most prized possession. I have heard of people screwing up delicate cars like Mercedes and BMW by using the wrong fuel. I don't even jump start it, I wouldn't get near anything in it. Had it towed to the shop both times I left my lights on for a recharge.
Old 07-14-24, 05:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t believe Lexus would have specified premium if there wasn’t a benefit to premium. I enjoy maintaining my cars to the best level they can be maintained, and that includes using the best fuel, the right fuel, the best oil, the right oil. That’s for vehicles I don’t even own lol. If it were a vehicle that I own and I wanted to keep for a long long time, I absolutely would not put fuel in it that wasn’t what the manufacturer specified. If that were my truck it would have top tier premium in it and nothing else.

I don’t think you will hurt it, but you’re not getting the best performance out of it. That for me is a non starter.

You say you don’t care about the cost of fuel, but you do actually. Nothing wrong with that, like I have said before fuel economy and thus cost of fuel is the #1 concern for car buyers today.

I just like taking the best care of my stuff. I’m the same way about my home, I dry clean all of my clothes so they stay like new longer etc.
Old 07-14-24, 06:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

AJT123 - my question is why would lexus recommend premium if it's not at least a good idea over regular?

even if it's the same engine as in an older tundra or land cruiser, maybe it's tuned differently or has different software.

my lc500 also runs a lexus v8 but lexus is pretty blunt about putting premium in it or risk damage.

Old 07-14-24, 06:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

The engine is the same, but the tuning is different. That's why the LX570 hp peak is 2hp higher than the LC, and more importantly why there is a LOT more area under the torque curve. So a properly-fueled LX is going to feel more responsive in "normal" driving situations than the LC, despite being ~200lbs heavier.

I have not seen hp/torque curves for an LX570 running on 87, however, so I can't say to what degree it will be less responsive than the LC on 87 as a result of the computer having to pull a bunch of timing.
Old 07-14-24, 09:37 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I don’t believe Lexus would have specified premium if there wasn’t a benefit to premium..
Lexus isn't going to ask for premium in all its high end cars and then say "use rotgut 87" for this $100,000 truck. You're a smart guy, think about the logic. I understand your reasoning, but is my scenario right there ridiculous or non-sensical? I personally don't think so. If this were the only vehicle that used the 5.7 and asked for it, absolutely it would be premium.

I enjoy maintaining my cars to the best level they can be maintained, and that includes using the best fuel, the right fuel, the best oil, the right oil. That’s for vehicles I don’t even own lol. If it were a vehicle that I own and I wanted to keep for a long long time, I absolutely would not put fuel in it that wasn’t what the manufacturer specified. If that were my truck it would have top tier premium in it and nothing else.
Sure, I understand and agree.... But it doesn't need it. I"m not wasting money like that for Lexus BS.

I don’t think you will hurt it, but you’re not getting the best performance out of it. That for me is a non starter.
You lose 2 horsepower if you run 87. That's it.. I'll let you and everyone know if my engine ever gives me trouble or blows up. It's never happened before and been documented, at least.

You say you don’t care about the cost of fuel, but you do actually. Nothing wrong with that, like I have said before fuel economy and thus cost of fuel is the #1 concern for car buyers today..
I mean I do but I don't. I am always buying gas it seems but it's absolutely worth it for the V8s. Logically I just see no point to waste $15-20 per tank on high grade fuel when the engine it's going into doesn't even need it. It is a tough as nails, lower compression huge V8 designed for American use. It doesn't need premium unless you want 2 horsepower and want to follow Lexus' bogus instructions. Now the Yukon knocks loudly on 87, that's different. It does require premium and gets it. And that surprised me.

I just like taking the best care of my stuff. I’m the same way about my home, I dry clean all of my clothes so they stay like new longer etc.
I guess we just agree to disagree. Dry cleaners I totally get it, though.
Old 07-14-24, 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would put premium in it if it were mine. You don’t know better than the Toyota engineers, and I don’t agree they made that recommendation “just because” or that it’s bogus. You’re not getting the best performance on 87, you may not care which is fine but I would care.

I don’t understand why you’re concerned about $15-20 a tank for this but you always say “people who buy these trucks don’t care about the cost of fuel”. Obviously that isn’t true because you care, you care enough to run the non specified octane to save $15.
Old 07-14-24, 01:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I would put premium in it if it were mine. You don’t know better than the Toyota engineers, and I don’t agree they made that recommendation “just because” or that it’s bogus. You’re not getting the best performance on 87, you may not care which is fine but I would care.

I don’t understand why you’re concerned about $15-20 a tank for this but you always say “people who buy these trucks don’t care about the cost of fuel”. Obviously that isn’t true because you care, you care enough to run the non specified octane to save $15.
No, it's because the truck doesn't need it and I hate wasting money, not spending it. It's stupid to me to put premium fuel in a vehicle that doesn't need it. I'm not going to be a sucker. If it needed it, I'd use it. I hattttte wasting money, that's what it is.

LX and LC were built alongside each other in Japan with the exact same V8 engines put in. You really think Lexus engineers would waste money for more than 2hp and change stuff on the assembly line, spend money on big tune difference? The 5.7 was plenty sufficient to move the LC and LX around. Not the fastest kid on the block, but quick enough. The engines are IDENTICAL. Ask any head Lexus tech if the 5.7 needs premium.

There are plenty of cars that actually do lose a decent amount of power on regular (but run fine) but the automakers specify it's fine to use it. Premium gives those said cars a hp boost, or regular takes it away--your choice. In this situation with the 5.7, it's a whopping 2 horsepower. LXs are fine on regular, it mitigates the awful mileage whereas all the other high end SUVs actually do require premium. The Yukon costs an insane amount to fill up lol. It's still worth it though.
Old 07-14-24, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Looking through an old mag yesterday at the beach. A bunch of car ads inside.

I never knew Chrysler and Jeep had a choice of warranty.

Old 07-14-24, 04:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh, add the S/C to the 5.7 and it absolutely needs premium.....lots of it lol.

This has been beaten to death but it still amuses me. It seems to me, or I feel like you've said in the past "if it says use premium, use premium" which I agree with except in some cases including this one. I don't mean this smart ***, but what part don't you get that this is the exact same motor, in every single way, that went into the Toyotas that wanted regular?? I don't like wasting unnecessary money on a truck that gets 12MPG. I bet the 5.7 would run ok on 85. It's a brick. I would feel like a sucker wasting $12-15 a tank, it is what it is. It does not need premium lol. Go ask the head Lexus tech.

The Mercedes is my baby, my most prized possession. I have heard of people screwing up delicate cars like Mercedes and BMW by using the wrong fuel. I don't even jump start it, I wouldn't get near anything in it. Had it towed to the shop both times I left my lights on for a recharge.
And yet you never once bothered to check and see what the LX is actually doing with spark advance.....
Old 07-14-24, 04:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
The engine is the same, but the tuning is different. That's why the LX570 hp peak is 2hp higher than the LC, and more importantly why there is a LOT more area under the torque curve. So a properly-fueled LX is going to feel more responsive in "normal" driving situations than the LC, despite being ~200lbs heavier.

I have not seen hp/torque curves for an LX570 running on 87, however, so I can't say to what degree it will be less responsive than the LC on 87 as a result of the computer having to pull a bunch of timing.
No no, timing pull is obviously a myth lol!
Old 07-14-24, 04:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
No, it's because the truck doesn't need it and I hate wasting money, not spending it. It's stupid to me to put premium fuel in a vehicle that doesn't need it. I'm not going to be a sucker. If it needed it, I'd use it. I hattttte wasting money, that's what it is.

LX and LC were built alongside each other in Japan with the exact same V8 engines put in. You really think Lexus engineers would waste money for more than 2hp and change stuff on the assembly line, spend money on big tune difference? The 5.7 was plenty sufficient to move the LC and LX around. Not the fastest kid on the block, but quick enough. The engines are IDENTICAL. Ask any head Lexus tech if the 5.7 needs premium.

There are plenty of cars that actually do lose a decent amount of power on regular (but run fine) but the automakers specify it's fine to use it. Premium gives those said cars a hp boost, or regular takes it away--your choice. In this situation with the 5.7, it's a whopping 2 horsepower. LXs are fine on regular, it mitigates the awful mileage whereas all the other high end SUVs actually do require premium. The Yukon costs an insane amount to fill up lol. It's still worth it though.
Its not your choice, running them on lower spec fuel makes the engine CONSTANTLY micro knock and the computer reel back timing and creep it back up until it gets out of range again......then your rings fail and you start eating oil. I sent you plenty of links explaining knock control strategies and you can literally easily check to see if you LX is pulling timing from fuel with ease.

Just put a scanner on it and see what the KCLV is.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1