Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-24, 04:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,229 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘Do you have 94 anywhere near you?
We have a local station with 98, 100, and 105 on tap if desired. Most just use E85 though as every single Sheetz and Meijer has that in stock and it's just so much cheaper than 105 it's a no brainer unless you want to store a car with a full tank.
Old 07-15-24, 04:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
It's because it doesn't need it. LX had 383hp, LC 381. Minuscule difference. Your LC does need premium as you know, it has a sports car engine pretty much. This is a meat and potatoes truck engine we're talking about.

Why do you all not get this? It's not a tt Mercedes V12, it's a truck engine with a low 10:2 compression and it's naturally aspirated. Like I said, if this 5.7 were only used/designe for in the 570 and asked for premium it would be different. This is the same V8 that went into god only knows how many Toyota trucks. Regular gas is fine.

Hugggggge debate in the link, it's almost dead even.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pol...emium.1060392/
10+ SCR is EXTREMELY high for a non DI engine. 9.0 is more normal for a 87/89 octane engine not 10.0+ and it's generally accepted in the engine building world you need killer control and or perfect quench hight to run 10.5 on 91 octane.

That is if you care about not having issues....
Old 07-15-24, 04:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

There is no better torque curve. You get 2 hp for the Lexus brochure if you use premium. It’s NOT the same thing as, for example, the 2 different Northstar output numbers on the old SLS and STS.

It makes 90% of torque at 2200RPM on 87, and trust me…. Torque is the order of the day with the 5.7. It was designed specifically for American use.
10% motive force decrease is massive. That's so much missing at normal driving RPMs lol! That's why I keep harping on it because 10% down on actual force that moves the car is well beyond 2hp at HP peak.

How much TQ does it make at partial throttle high load and not floored on 87 vs 93? Again have you still not logged spark advance to see?
Old 07-15-24, 04:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
10% motive force decrease is massive. That's so much missing at normal driving RPMs lol! That's why I keep harping on it because 10% down on actual force that moves the car is well beyond 2hp at HP peak.

How much TQ does it make at partial throttle high load and not floored on 87 vs 93? Again have you still not logged spark advance to see?
I don’t have that kind of equipment lol. I have run premium in it before and there’s no seat of the pants difference.

Go to that thread, the debate is huge. Bottom line is there’s not
been documented evidence of any LX engine trouble due to 87 gas. Didn’t the 100LX which shared the identical 4.7 ask for premium, while it asked for regular in the LC? Why would they do that? Same reason. Not even a piddly 2hp difference that gen.
Old 07-15-24, 04:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I don’t have that kind of equipment lol. I have run premium in it before and there’s no seat of the pants difference.

Go to that thread, the debate is huge. Bottom line is there’s not
been documented evidence of any LX engine trouble due to 87 gas. Didn’t the 100LX which shared the identical 4.7 ask for premium, while it asked for regular in the LC? Why would they do that? Same reason. Not even a piddly 2hp difference that gen.
Oh come on! You have to have an OBD scanner with data log! They are under $100 now for stuff that can do that

Everyone who says in that thread it makes no difference is wrong, none of the people who say it's fine provided logs or testing if any sort and I will bet any amount of money their leakdown numbers will be worse.

The UR V8 btw has a MASSIVE difference in power on 87 vs 93, over half a second 0-60 worth in both my 430s. That's an engine it's undeniable in, but warranty is warranty and in the interest of not having to say to normie consumers "yeah it needs 91" they have the engineers whip up a knock protection map and have the engine ride micro detonation.

Look at the whole ford ecoboost line, every single one is "fine" on 87 because there would be blood rage on consumers end if god forbid they pay for 91. Meanwhile those same engine have detonation related accelerated wear for some reason......
Old 07-15-24, 04:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
We're 3 pages in on a debate about octane ratings.
what's your point? before that we were 40 pages in on a debate on number of cylinders and hybrids are great / hybrids suck.
Old 07-15-24, 05:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and trust me…. Torque is the order of the day with the 5.7.
i think you need to a dyno test on a tankful of 87 and then a tankful of 91. then maybe we'll trust you.
Old 07-15-24, 05:20 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so gm saying an engine requires premium is legit and lexus saying an engine require premium is just marketing. got it.
Whatever GM recommends, do it!!

Why do you guys not hear me? It's the exact same engine.... In every.single.way. Every single spec. There's a years long poll and debate on IH8MUD.com and it's about 50/50. Nobody has ever reported any damage from non premium fuel.

Yes. The Denali has a completely different engine with a higher compression. Midgrade is fine but I still use premium.

5.3 is fine on regular. And yes, if I drove a pickup it would be that lol. But I'd have to have the 6.2, which the Denali has standard.

The joke is on you. If an LX570 owner wants an extra 2hp, spend $20 more a tank, that's their business.

It would have cost a fortune to make a significant retune or power bump for LX... Lexus didn't do that.

Your scenario is extreme.... that would be like putting diesel in a gas car.
Man I towed the car with the LX on premium and tundra running regular and the LX towed it just as well. Only due to the LX shorter wheelbase I couldn’t tow it as well but the power was always there in the LX maybe do to the extra gears but it doesn’t have same rear end gears. Was 93 the difference? Idk.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The only issue was he drove the car he paid for 200k miles and never got the optimum performance out of it. I’m not interested in that.
What do you consider optimum performance?

Originally Posted by Allen K

Granted, if I had a 911 it would never see an automated car wash but that's besides the point
I don’t run my 3rd gen Prius thru auto washes let alone anything else like a 911

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Shell has the best detergents, I primarily use Shell but any top tier fuel in a pinch.
When are detergents put in the gas? Supposedly gas trucks deliver the same gas to Shell and places like Walmart.

Originally Posted by LH1
Race gas is very expensive.
It was $14/gallon at the track for 110

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That must be essentially racing-gas. I have never heard of 110 Octane for any street-use.
You be surprised.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
We're 3 pages in on a debate about octane ratings.

Anybody do anything cool with their cars this weekend?

My friend and I had fun over the weekend at the track last session of the day.
Old 07-15-24, 05:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Oh come on! You have to have an OBD scanner with data log!
I'm gonna get one. My friend has a wireless one, I have an evaporator leak code on the SL but the gas cap was loose. I might as well buy one, and will.

I'm not going off people who say they know this or that about ECUs or tunes or whatever bc that's just a measuring contest over there, I just am going off the poll and real world results and comments. There's not one post anywhere you'll find "dealer says my engine is damaged from 87 fuel" on any LX, anywhere. I'd tell you to look but I'm not that mean. You'd be searching for a very long time.

The UR V8 btw has a MASSIVE difference in power on 87 vs 93, over half a second 0-60 worth in both my 430s. That's an engine it's undeniable in, but warranty is warranty and in the interest of not having to say to normie consumers "yeah it needs 91" they have the engineers whip up a knock protection map and have the engine ride micro detonation.
You mean UZ? Yes, the LS430 needs premium fuel. It will run fine on regular but it is sluggish. It was designed and engineered for premium, as a luxury car engine.

Look at the whole ford ecoboost line, every single one is "fine" on 87 because there would be blood rage on consumers end if god forbid they pay for 91. Meanwhile those same engine have detonation related accelerated wear for some reason......
Do all Ford Ecoboosts call for regular??? The King Ranch I rented with the 3.5 400hp/500tq I didn't notice what it asked for.

Raptors don't ask for 91?
Old 07-15-24, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Whatever GM recommends, do it!!

Man I towed the car with the LX on premium and tundra running regular and the LX towed it just as well. Only due to the LX shorter wheelbase I couldn’t tow it as well but the power was always there in the LX maybe do to the extra gears but it doesn’t have same rear end gears. Was 93 the difference? Idk.

What do you consider optimum performance?

I don’t run my 3rd gen Prius thru auto washes let alone anything else like a 911

When are detergents put in the gas? Supposedly gas trucks deliver the same gas to Shell and places like Walmart.

It was $14/gallon at the track for 110

You be surprised.

My friend and I had fun over the weekend at the track last session of the day.
nice track pics. How fast you get your car up to?
Old 07-15-24, 06:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

On from the octane debate... I'm not going anywhere and neither is that truck. So I'll report any problems. I have beaten the absolute **** out of that thing for 3 years and 30k miles, and can shine it up to showroom condition lol.

I'd love to have a track nearby but the nearest I think is in Atlanta. I'd love to drive my SL on one, not hard.
Old 07-15-24, 07:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

On from the octane debate
Out of curiosity. I looked of the EPA difference in cost. It’s $950 extra per year if using 91 or premium. If you keep it for 20 years (like my 4Runners V8). That’s is $19,000 over the course of 20 years. Holy crap
Old 07-15-24, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Out of curiosity. I looked of the EPA difference in cost. It’s $950 extra per year if using 91 or premium.
not sure how you come up with $950.

if one drives 12000mi. a year at 20mpg, that's 600 gallons of gas. if premium costs as much as $1 more than regular unleaded, that's still only $600 more a year.

perhaps you can share your math.
Old 07-15-24, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure how you come up with $950.

if one drives 12000mi. a year at 20mpg, that's 600 gallons of gas. if premium costs as much as $1 more than regular unleaded, that's still only $600 more a year.

perhaps you can share your math.
Spoiler

Old 07-15-24, 08:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna get one. My friend has a wireless one, I have an evaporator leak code on the SL but the gas cap was loose. I might as well buy one, and will.

I'm not going off people who say they know this or that about ECUs or tunes or whatever bc that's just a measuring contest over there, I just am going off the poll and real world results and comments. There's not one post anywhere you'll find "dealer says my engine is damaged from 87 fuel" on any LX, anywhere. I'd tell you to look but I'm not that mean. You'd be searching for a very long time.

You mean UZ? Yes, the LS430 needs premium fuel. It will run fine on regular but it is sluggish. It was designed and engineered for premium, as a luxury car engine.

Do all Ford Ecoboosts call for regular??? The King Ranch I rented with the 3.5 400hp/500tq I didn't notice what it asked for.

Raptors don't ask for 91?
Yeah my bad, UZ not UR.....it's the same engine though lol! That's the point I am trying to make, a VVTi 2UZ is the same as a 3UZ and both don't like regular due to timing pull.

All ecoboosts say "on 91 octane fuel" for their power figures even if they say 87 is okay, that also leads to a lot of turbo lag since you can't layer on max boost at high low low RPM on lower octane or you will super knock the engine.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1