Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-24, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
.52 isn’t the right spec for this car though. .51 is harder to find. Just have to order it online.
depends on the car. A S500 can use .52

I think your S580 is supposed to be .52 or .61

What does it say in the manual?

.52 isn’t the right spec for this car though. .51 is harder to find. Just have to order it online.

They don’t require a specific spec, just a specific weight. Toyota absolutely has a formulation that they created, TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) is formulated by Mobil to Toyotas specs. There’s not a specific spec per engine they require though like the Germans.
They absolutely have a spec. 100%. It usually applies to all Japanese manufactures under a joint program

The spec for my 4Runner is ILSAC GF-5

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-16-24 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-16-24, 08:09 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

The best performance the car can deliver as a stock unit. That’s what “optimum” means.

If somebody can show me something is BETTER than what the engineers used when they designed and built the car then I will get that. So I use better than OEM tires and brakes and oils and things like that.

In Japanese cars there’s no such thing. Manufacturer says OCI Of 10k, but for a car I am going to keep I would do 5k. Lots of solid evidence that makes a difference in ultimate long term longevity since MB engines have a history of bore scoring which leads to loss of compression.
Have you and how often have you experienced the best performance in your vehicles? I ask that because the average person like yourself are just trying to get from point A to point B.

I agree it should have what the manufacturer suggests for whatever reason they suggest it. Even my independent mechanic has to order the .51 spec oil for me they always use .5.

It’s like Lexus using bulk shop oil vs using TGMO, you have to specify it.

That’s why I take issue to this idea that the engineers for the LX specified 91 for “marketing purposes”. Engineers don’t do that lol.

So, will my car be okay with the .50 spec oil? Sure. Will an LX be okay on 87 octane? Sure. Would I consider those cars well maintained with those things used? No. To me a car is well maintained when it is maintained to or beyond what is recommended by its designers.
Originally Posted by LH1

10k oil intervals are insane to me. I would never do that. Unfortunately lots of people will follow that interval.
I change my oil every 10k miles on every vehicle I have except my track car, I change it every other track event. I’ve never had a problem. Heck I once went 15k miles between oil change on my old 08 Tundra. Still handled everything I threw at it. I do everything people post on the internet you’re not supposed to do to my vehicles (10k oil changes, run gas to empty) and it’s never given me any problems. My truck has about 2 gallons of gas left in it. The fuel pump is not going to die!!

It’s the additive package, the oils are also slightly different weights.

MB actually doesn’t specify a weight, only that spec.

On modern cars that hold a lot of oil and if you’re only going to keep it a certain length of time it’s fine.

I did 10k OCIs on the S560 because I figured I wouldn’t keep it. That big valve cover gasket repair I had was caused by “clogged oil separators” and my mechanic said 5k OCIs would have kept that from happening. I will do 5k OCIs on the S580. Both my LS460s I did 5K OCIs even though they specified 10k, I also used higher end than spec oi, I ran Schaefer’s 0W20 and Amsoil filtersl. On the Mercedes I use MB oil or Liqui Moly and the OEM MANN filter.
On Mercedes and some other manufacturers I would probably follow maintenance to a tee, and I’m sure this may ruffle some feathers, because I don’t trust the reliability of Mercedes and few other brands like I trust Toyota/Lexus NA and hybrid vehicles. Plus maintenance seems to be more expensive on brands like Mercedes and others.

If it’s a boosted Toyota/Lexus, I may due shorter intervals but NA engine, nah. Let it ride!! It’s proven to work for me and none of our vehicles have extended warranties and have gone to the dealer for repair work.

My 230k mile Tundra had original serpentine belt and transmission and rear differential fluid never changed and I worked it whenever I hooked a trailer to it. With that being said I thought about changing the tranny and diff fluid on my current Tundra. If/when I add the blower I may do the fluids then.
Old 07-16-24, 08:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Moving on from octane and back to normal lol

Old 07-16-24, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
depends on the car. A S500 can use .52

I think your S580 is supposed to be .52 or .61

What does it say in the manual?
It’s actually .52 I was misremembering. .61 if you want the best fuel economy, that suggestion didn’t exist for the S560.

They absolutely have a spec. 100%. It usually applies to all Japanese manufactures under a joint program

The spec for my 4Runner is ILSAC GF-5
They don’t require a specific spec in the manual the way Mercedes does. At least none of mine did.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Have you and how often have you experienced the best performance in your vehicles? I ask that because the average person like yourself are just trying to get from point A to point B.
Seeing that I use the proper fuel and maintain the car to at least the schedule suggested by the manufacturer I would say I am getting the best performance all the time.

If I just wanted to get from Point A to Point B I wouldn’t spend what I spend on cars and I wouldn’t be a car enthusiast.

I change my oil every 10k miles on every vehicle I have except my track car, I change it every other track event. I’ve never had a problem. Heck I once went 15k miles between oil change on my old 08 Tundra. Still handled everything I threw at it. I do everything people post on the internet you’re not supposed to do to my vehicles (10k oil changes, run gas to empty) and it’s never given me any problems. My truck has about 2 gallons of gas left in it. The fuel pump is not going to die!!
Good for you. I like to maintain my cars well.

On Mercedes and some other manufacturers I would probably follow maintenance to a tee, and I’m sure this may ruffle some feathers, because I don’t trust the reliability of Mercedes and few other brands like I trust Toyota/Lexus NA and hybrid vehicles. Plus maintenance seems to be more expensive on brands like Mercedes and others.
No matter how reliable a car is, it still needs to be well maintained. Skimping on maintenance reduces the life of a Toyota too.
Old 07-16-24, 11:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It’s actually .52 I was misremembering. .61 if you want the best fuel economy, that suggestion didn’t exist for the S560.

They don’t require a specific spec in the manual the way Mercedes does. At least none of mine did.
Yes they do.

They don’t require a specific spec, just a specific weight. Toyota absolutely has a formulation that they created, TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) is formulated by Mobil to Toyotas specs. There’s not a specific spec per engine they require though like the Germans.
Toyotas absolutely do have specific spec. My 4Runner is spec ILSAC-GF-5 which is compatible with certain Mercedes engines MB 229.7 using a third party oil.

below is a third party oil that satisfies all of these specs.

TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) is formulated by Mobil to Toyotas spec
TGMO is the only way you can guarantee you are getting the perfect spec oil. If you use TGMO, you cannot screw up. All new TGMO oils are backwards compatible with the older spec Toyota oil.

Many Mercedes oil are backwards compatible as well. So a .52 can used as the replacement to .51

No matter how reliable a car is, it still needs to be well maintained. Skimping on maintenance reduces the life of a Toyota too.
What does skipping on Toyota maintenance have to do with Mercedes Reliability?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-16-24 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-16-24, 11:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Toyotas absolutely do have specific spec. My 4Runner is spec ILSAC-GF-5 which is compatible with certain Mercedes engines MB 229.7 using a third party oil.
ILSAC-GF-5 is not a Toyota spec. It is the API's minimum standard for motor oil to be used in gasoline powered engines since 2010, and was superseded by ILSAC-GF-6A in 2020. Literally the lowest common denominator, and a certification carried by nearly every oil on the market. It is not a differentiator.

Manufacturer oil specs, especially those from Mercedes and VW, can be very stringent with regards to makeup and performance characteristics. The bolded part is particularly disingenuous wording. Every single oil that carries the Mercedes 229.71 certification will also be ILSAC-GF-5. Because all truly excellent mid to low SAPS full synthetic motor oils also happen to be "motor oil suitable for use in a gasoline engine", and you chose an excellent, high-end oil. But only a teeny tiny percentage of ILSAC-GF-5 oils will meet the 229.71 standard.
Old 07-16-24, 11:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
ILSAC-GF-5 is not a Toyota spec..
I never said it was Toyota spec. I said Toyotas do have a spec.
Old 07-16-24, 12:34 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I never said it was Toyota spec. I said Toyotas do have a spec.
A distinction without a difference. It's there solely so they can deny warranty claims when some idiot fills their crankcase with Great Value Vegetable Oil.

It's a bit like saying they have a spec for tires, because they recommend that you use only ones that are DOT-approved.
Old 07-16-24, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It's a bit like saying they have a spec for tires, because they recommend that you use only ones that are DOT-approved.
What are you talking about? How does this apply to a Mercedes or Toyota oil?
Old 07-16-24, 01:05 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

What are you talking about? How does this apply to a Mercedes or Toyota oil?
Because all requiring ILSAC-GF-5 really says is "Use motor oil that is approved for use in engines". Just like requiring DOT tires just means "use tires that are legal for public roads." Well yes of course you should do both of these things. In both cases, "meeting the spec" is a bar so low as to be utterly meaningless.
Old 07-16-24, 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Because all requiring ILSAC-GF-5 really says is "Use motor oil that is approved for use in engines". Just like requiring DOT tires just means "use tires that are legal for public roads." Well yes of course you should do both of these things. In both cases, "meeting the spec" is a bar so low as to be utterly meaningless.
‘I don’t agree with this. DOT in respect to tires definitely serves a purpose. In both cases really.

Every single oil that carries the Mercedes 229.71 certification will also be ILSAC-GF-5
this is not true

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-16-24 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-16-24, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

‘I don’t agree with this. DOT in respect to tires definitely serves a purpose. In both cases really.

this is not true
It is true. His point is that the Toyota “spec” just refers to a minimum spec that all motor oil confirms to. It’s the spec that makes it approved for use in gasoline engines. Mercedes spec is a specific spec Mercedes uses not only for their cars, but specific to each engine. Much more restrictive than Toyota who like I said earlier just says to use any oil that meets that minimum industry spec that is the correct weight.

All MB spec oils also meet that criteria, otherwise they wouldn’t be approved for use in gasoline engines.

Point is if I just roll in and choose any 0W20 on the shelf, I am compliant with Toyotas recommendation. That is not the case with Mercedes as it needs to be a certain weight and spec/additive package.

ILSAC GF-5 was first introduced in October 2010 as the minimum performance standard for use in gasoline-fueled engines in passenger cars.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-16-24 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-16-24, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Point is if I just roll in and choose any 0W20 on the shelf, I am compliant with Toyotas recommendation. That is not the case with Mercedes as it needs to be a certain weight and spec/additive package.
but that is not the case. And not the point at all. There are numerous brands of 0W20 oil that are not compliant with the Toyota spec. And if you bought my 0W20 oil for my 21 4Runner you wouldn’t be compliant with the OW20 spec for the new Toyota Corolla GR.

Not everything has to be a shot at Toyota.

Old 07-16-24, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

but that is not the case. And not the point at all. There are numerous brands of 0W20 oil that are not compliant with the Toyota spec. And if you bought my 0W20 oil for my 21 4Runner you wouldn’t be compliant with the OW20 spec for the new Toyota Corolla GR.

Not everything has to be a shot at Toyota.
Thats not correct. Every motor oil sold in America is compliant with that spec. It’s the minimum spec for ALL gasoline engine oil. In fact it’s an outdated spec and was replaced in 2020 with ILSAC GF-6, but they are backwards compatible. So I can buy any 0W20 or 0W16 (many are 16 now) and be compliant with that spec. I can’t speak for the GR Corolla I don’t know if they do have a specific spec for that car but the spec you mentioned is a minimum spec for all oil, just google it.

It’s not a shot at Toyota at all, it’s just a fact. I don’t consider being able to use any oil a bad thing, it’s just an example of how German cars are more particular to maintain. The ease of maintenance and the compatibility of fluids and parts and all is a big plus for Toyota/Lexus.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-16-24 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-16-24, 04:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thats not correct. Every motor oil sold in America is compliant with that spec. It’s the minimum spec for ALL gasoline engine oil. In fact it’s an outdated spec and was replaced in 2020 with ILSAC GF-6, but they are backwards compatible. So I can buy any 0W20 or 0W16 (many are 16 now) and be compliant with that spec. I can’t speak for the GR Corolla I don’t know if they do have a specific spec for that car but the spec you mentioned is a minimum spec for all oil, just google it.
You are incorrect. There are many oils not compliant with the ILSAC standard. Specially Euro spec oil

It’s not a shot at Toyota at all, it’s just a fact. I don’t consider being able to use any oil a bad thing, it’s just an example of how German cars are more particular to maintain. The ease of maintenance and the compatibility of fluids and parts and all is a big plus for Toyota/Lexus
It absolutely is a shot at Toyota for no reason.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1