Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-24, 12:30 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
And for everyone, isn't Exxon still good gas? That's what I usually put in the Benz.
Oh absolutely. I consider Exxon very good. My top 3 are:

#1 - Shell 93 V Power
#2 - Exxon 93 Synergy Supreme +
#3 - Sunoco 93 Ultra

I'll go to Royal Farms or Wawa (convenience stores) if I have to. I don't go to shady gas stations. I don't care how cheap their prices are.

Last edited by LH1; 07-17-24 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 12:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because the engines aren’t tuned the same. Putting premium in a tundra doesn’t necessarily give it the torque curve of the LX.

Exxon is very good fuel.
C'mon ​​​​​​@BayeauxLex you should know that . If an engine isn't tuned for Premium, you're literally wasting money

Thankfully electricity doesn't care 👍 I can crank it out from a hand generator and it "burns" the same as electricity that came out a nuclear power plant, the difference being my arm won't hurt

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-17-24 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

The other reality is that putting 87 in the LX doesn’t mean it will perform like an LC, likely
its worse. The tune is different.

So, it’s not necessarily just “2HP” because the LC requires regular and the LX Premium and the stated difference is that. You would have to reflash the LX with the LC’s engine tune for that to be the case

The tune is a very simple change for the manufacturer to make.
Old 07-17-24, 12:47 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Okay, so what I'm getting is there's a different torque curve and/or more oomph on premium. Not sure how much 2lb/ft are going to do, I've never had a complaint about low end torque since I bought it but yes I do want to see for myself.

I'll just use premium for the next month and report back.
Now you're on the trolley. It isn't about the 2 at the top, which I think we can all agree is meaningless. It's about the 40 extra lbft at 2500. There's an even wider gap below that, and then it narrows as revs increase, becoming equal right around 3500 rpm.
Old 07-17-24, 02:38 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

It depends. It’s about $1 a gallon so if you fill up 20 gallons it’s $20.

Costco is top tier. Shell is still the best detergent package though. I don’t have a Costco with a gas station here and I don’t want to stand in line anyways.

Gotcha. Makes sense

Okay, so what I'm getting is there's a different torque curve and/or more oomph on premium. Not sure how much 2lb/ft are going to do, I've never had a complaint about low end torque since I bought it but yes I do want to see for myself.

I'll just use premium for the next month and report back.

@BayeauxLex I find it amusing that you have a Tundra that you use verrrrrry hard and it's fine on 87 with 230k+, then you baby the LX with the same engine.

And for everyone, isn't Exxon still good gas? That's what I usually put in the Benz.
Yeah ikr.

I take the LX to the dealer for oil changes. The rest of the services(brakes, filters, etc.) I do myself. I service the Tundra and the rest of the vehicles myself. Why? Idk.

Because the engines aren’t tuned the same. Putting premium in a tundra doesn’t necessarily give it the torque curve of the LX.

Exxon is very good fuel.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
C'mon ​​​​​​@BayeauxLex you should know that . If an engine isn't tuned for Premium, you're literally wasting money

Thankfully electricity doesn't care 👍 I can crank it out from a hand generator and it "burns" the same as electricity that came out a nuclear power plant, the difference being my arm won't hurt
Welp I was prepared to refill the tundra with premium then I got on here so 87 it is. At the gas station now.

I’ll try 93 next time I tow and in meantime I’ll check the Tundra forums to see if there’s any update on it.
Old 07-17-24, 02:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Now you're on the trolley. It isn't about the 2 at the top, which I think we can all agree is meaningless. It's about the 40 extra lbft at 2500. There's an even wider gap below that, and then it narrows as revs increase, becoming equal right around 3500 rpm.
I've driven it with premium before, there is no way in hell there was 40 ft/lbs more torque at 2500RPM, or anywhere.

It didn't feel any different at all... because it's the same engine. Same computer, ECU. compression, etc. If Lexus really wanted to retune that, spend the money and resources to give LX owners a meaningful difference wouldn't they give it more than 2hp??? There is no way I'm missing 40ft/lbs of torque at 2500RPM because I'm not running premium. No offense but that's absurd.

But I'll put some premium in tomorrow and run a few tanks.

Did you not watch the video of it going up the big hill and not even cresting 2k? That was in 2nd gear start, too. Gearing, yes, whatever had something to do with it.... point was it's a strong engine with lots of torque and that video confirms it.
Old 07-17-24, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It costs almost nothing for them to design a different tune for the LX, it’s just software. I can buy a module for $800 and have an entirely different tune for my car. Same ECU, different programming.

As for the torque figure being absurd, it’s right there in the dyno results lol. It’s fact. The LX tune gives you lower available torque, but you have to run premium fuel.

Have you ever driven an LC to compare? Remember it’s not like premium vs regular makes an LC and LX. The engine tune is different.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-17-24 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 02:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It costs almost nothing for them to design a different tune for the LX, it’s just software. I can buy a module for $800 and have an entirely different tune for my car. Same ECU, different programming.

As for the torque figure being absurd, it’s right there in the dyno results lol. It’s fact. The LX tune gives you lower available torque, but you have to run premium fuel.

Have you ever driven an LC to compare? Remember it’s not like premium vs regular makes an LC and LX. The engine tune is different.
I am not missing 40 fl/lbs of torque at 2500 RPM bc I'm not using premium in an engine designed to run, if necessary, on rotgut fuel around the world. They don't get great gasoline where you see these things roam in a lot of cases.

I'll run premium and see if I can tell any difference for at least 3 tanks.
Old 07-17-24, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I am not missing 40 fl/lbs of torque at 2500 RPM bc I'm not using premium in an engine designed to run, if necessary, on rotgut fuel around the world. They don't get great gasoline where you see these things roam in a lot of cases.

I'll run premium and see if I can tell any difference for at least 3 tanks.

You may not be missing that, my point is the difference in the torque curves is because of the difference in the tune. That right there is proof the cars are tuned differently. It’s not simply because of the difference in the octane. You likely are getting some of the improvement in low end performance even with the 87 octane, you’re just absolutely not getting the best performance the truck can give you with that tune and the difference is way more than 2 hp.

The trade off for the better tune in the LX is they needed to recommend premium. Putting 93 in an LC or Tundra won’t give you the torque curve of the LX, you would also need the tune. That’s what we have been trying to tell you all along.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-17-24 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 03:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My God.

You may not be missing that, my point is the difference in the torque curves is because of the difference in the tune. That right there is proof the cars are tuned differently. It’s not simply because of the difference in the octane. You likely are getting some of the improvement in low end performance even with the 87 octane, you’re just absolutely not getting the best performance the truck can give you with that tune and the difference is way more than 2 hp.

The trade off for the better tune in the LX is they need to recommend premium. Putting 93 in an LC or Tundra won’t give you the torque curve of the LX, you would also need the tune.
Don't "my god" me. I was told I'm losing 40lb/ft of torque, when I've driven the truck with premium before and it felt the same.

Go to the link on IH8MUD and read stories for yourself. It's about split even. Again, not one report of a damaged engine from regular fuel.

There are plenty of talks about tunes.

The bolded makes zero sense. We can talk tunes etc etc but the 5.7 makes 383 horsepower on premium, up from 381 in the LC and Tundra. So how is that "way more horsepower"?
Old 07-17-24, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You’re not listening. You have multiple people here trying to explain this. That’s where the frustration is coming from. I can tell you’re not listening because the argument you keep responding to isn’t what we are saying.

The same engine can have multiple tunes in different applications. The tune in the LX has more available torque lower in the power band than the LC, that is proven by the numbers presented on the dyno graphs you were presented. People’s anecdotes mean nothing, look at the dyno graphs. Clearly these two engines have different tunes because they have different torque curves. That is why Lexus specifies the LX should run premium…it’s not marketing.

Simply using or not using 93 doesn’t create the difference in the torque curves between the two vehicles. That’s the tune.

Horsepower and torque figures advertised are peak figures. That doesn’t tell you when the power is available within the torque band. So, that’s why you may be missing a lot of power at certain points within the torque curve. You’re not missing that power peak you just may not have it available when the engineers designed it to be available because of the 87 octane fuel. The only person talking about damaging an engine is you, nobody else has suggested that would happen.

Im sorry for being frustrated with you but when multiple people are trying to explain something to somebody and they just refuse to hear what we are saying it’s very frustrating. You’re not open to what we’re saying because your mind is made up.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-17-24 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 04:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You’re not listening. You have multiple people here trying to explain this. That’s where the frustration is coming from. I can tell you’re not listening because the argument you keep responding to isn’t what we are saying.

The same engine can have multiple tunes in different applications. The tune in the LX has more available torque lower in the power band than the LC, that is proven by the numbers presented on the dyno graphs you were presented. People’s anecdotes mean nothing, look at the dyno graphs. Clearly these two engines have different tunes because they have different torque curves. That is why Lexus specifies the LX should run premium…it’s not marketing.

Simply using or not using 93 doesn’t create the difference in the torque curves between the two vehicles. That’s the tune.

Horsepower and torque figures advertised are peak figures. That doesn’t tell you when the power is available within the torque band. So, that’s why you may be missing a lot of power at certain points within the torque curve. You’re not missing that power peak you just may not have it available when the engineers designed it to be available because of the 87 octane fuel. The only person talking about damaging an engine is you, nobody else has suggested that would happen.

Im sorry for being frustrated with you but when multiple people are trying to explain something to somebody and they just refuse to hear what we are saying it’s very frustrating. You’re not open to what we’re saying because your mind is made up.
No, the bolded is what I was describing about the old Cadillacs. One was designed for low end torque and one for high HP. That was a situation where there was a real difference, unlike this which was simply to pip the Land Cruiser for the brochures even if it's just 2hp. The QX and Armada do the same thing, it was a 5hp difference at one point IIRC.

I'll see what I see with these tanks of premium but I'm not missing 40 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPM, that's absurd. I have run premium before and felt zero difference. I've had this truck over three years, I know it pretty well. I do feel a difference in my LS430 when I've put 87 in it before.

They stamped Lexus cladding on the LX engine cover at the factory and Toyota on the LC in Japan. I'm going down there tomorrow myself to get an answer from a master tech.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-17-24 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 04:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Look at the torque curves in the provided dyno results. The difference is right there for you to see. Not sure what can be served by continuing to bang my head against the wall so I’m out. I’ll be back when the topic has moved on…maybe…
Old 07-17-24, 04:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Look at the torque curves in the provided dyno results. The difference is right there for you to see. Not sure what can be served by continuing to bang my head against the wall so I’m out. I’ll be back when the topic has moved on…maybe…
Well, why can't I feel said difference then? A tank of premium feels identical.

Oh, because it's 2lb/ft.
Old 07-17-24, 06:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I run 87 in my Tundra. I have a fairly long towing trip coming up that I could try premium in to see if there's a difference, but I assume not as, to my knowledge, the Tundra isn't tuned to take advantage of a higher octane, though I know some people report differences.
Varies car to car, factory swish hight isn't 100% perfectly controlled as the parts are not hand fit and are instead a selection of options that get you within spec.

My 5.7 needs 89 to not pull timing

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1