Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-24, 07:32 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Well I don’t have to worry too much about losing 40 lb/ft of torque, as I have roughly 800 lb/ft to play with. Plus, of course, it always gets nothing but premium electrons so I know I’m not losing any.
Old 07-18-24, 07:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Well I don’t have to worry too much about losing 40 lb/ft of torque, as I have roughly 800 lb/ft to play with. Plus, of course, it always gets nothing but premium electrons so I know I’m not losing any.
Cool, you do you.
Old 07-18-24, 07:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I've driven around today and haven't felt an extra 40ft/lbs of torque on premium fuel..... I'll tell you that much.l!
I am starting to think there isn’t much of a difference. You woud have been raving by now
Old 07-18-24, 08:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, be sure to use lower-spec cheaper fluids a few grades below the ones that Lexus recommends. As both your seat of the pants dyno and those super-helpful driving videos you posted that clearly showed us the torque curve, both of which were better and much more accurate than any actual data, they clearly have no idea what their own vehicles need and I for one am fully on board with showing Lexus and their so-called "engineers" the error of their ways.
Ok that was funny.
Old 07-18-24, 10:30 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

For those old enough to remember.

Old 07-18-24, 10:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,230 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Again that's why I said to check YOUR engine. Every 5.7 I've had come through my shop that I have logged on a pro scanner because I'm curious (I also log all the 4.6 LSs for chain errors) has pulled a good amount.

Also keep in mind cheap scanners will show requested advance not actual, so he very well may be seeing the ECU targeting something that it's not achieving
Old 07-18-24, 10:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I'd just leave it. The transmission is still ok I'm sure. The older Tundras had transmission coolers. I can't think of one transmission failure off the top of my head I've read about.
The Toyota trans tuning helps with that in a big way as well, very slow shifting and they back off all power on shifts so they don't ask much of the parts.
Old 07-18-24, 11:59 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Using the third pedal as anti theft device was ahead of its time lol.
Old 07-19-24, 12:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Got my tickets to see Twisters tomorrow.

Definitely a day to drive a red truck (even if it's the wrong brand).
Old 07-19-24, 05:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I'd just leave it. The transmission is still ok I'm sure. The older Tundras had transmission coolers. I can't think of one transmission failure off the top of my head I've read about.
Id leave it when it’s that old, but I wouldn’t have left it up to that point.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
seeing different advice on here:

Fuel Requirements = follow the owners manual
Transmission interval = don’t follow the owners manual
Oil change interval = don’t follow the owner’s manual
The owners manual is a minimum. Understand that engineers set the maintenance interval to be simple and inexpensive and to meet a goal for vehicle life. If you don’t want to keep the car beyond that life (which is maybe 100k miles? 150k? No more than that) then the owners manual intervals are fine.

Remember my S560 had a huge valve cover repair that was caused by clogged oil separators which I am told were caused by my following the owners manual intervals. So if someone wants to buy an S Class and keep it I would do 5k OCIs as my mechanic suggested. I will do them on the S580 to keep my options open. It’s very little money. I may get some ramps and do the in between changes myself just for fun.

LS460, they burn oil as they get older, my Lexus mechanic said the cause was long oil change intervals and he recommended 5k OCIs to try and avoid that happening.

Over maintaining the car will never hurt it. Under maintaining it may.

Well, be sure to use lower-spec cheaper fluids a few grades below the ones that Lexus recommends. As both your seat of the pants dyno and those super-helpful driving videos you posted that clearly showed us the torque curve, both of which were better and much more accurate than any actual data, they clearly have no idea what their own vehicles need and I for one am fully on board with showing Lexus and their so-called "engineers" the error of their ways.
LOL, exactly. Made all the more ridiculous by 2k a year mileage which means 6-7 tanks of fuel for a whopping annual savings of $140 lol. I spent twice that on dinner last night.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I am starting to think there isn’t much of a difference. You woud have been raving by now
It will take more than a few miles on one tank. Won’t be a huge difference no but he will be getting the performance the vehicle was designed to give. If that’s not worth $140 a year to him then that’s his choice.

Assuming there is no wear to the knock sensors
Old 07-19-24, 05:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

We’re in Ocean City and my mom is with us. Sitting in my garage is the first car I ever bought and the current car I have. Kinda interesting.

Old 07-19-24, 05:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

What are you supposed to do with all ot those things?
Old 07-19-24, 06:12 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Id leave it when it’s that old, but I wouldn’t have left it up to that point.

The owners manual is a minimum. Understand that engineers set the maintenance interval to be simple and inexpensive and to meet a goal for vehicle life. If you don’t want to keep the car beyond that life (which is maybe 100k miles? 150k? No more than that) then the owners manual intervals are fine.

Remember my S560 had a huge valve cover repair that was caused by clogged oil separators which I am told were caused by my following the owners manual intervals. So if someone wants to buy an S Class and keep it I would do 5k OCIs as my mechanic suggested. I will do them on the S580 to keep my options open. It’s very little money. I may get some ramps and do the in between changes myself just for fun.

LS460, they burn oil as they get older, my Lexus mechanic said the cause was long oil change intervals and he recommended 5k OCIs to try and avoid that happening.

Over maintaining the car will never hurt it. Under maintaining it may.

LOL, exactly. Made all the more ridiculous by 2k a year mileage which means 6-7 tanks of fuel for a whopping annual savings of $140 lol. I spent twice that on dinner last night.

It will take more than a few miles on one tank. Won’t be a huge difference no but he will be getting the performance the vehicle was designed to give. If that’s not worth $140 a year to him then that’s his choice.

Assuming there is no wear to the knock sensors
The oil separator issue is suspect to me, I would think it was a PCV related issue as those can result in serious vac pull on the seals. If it was really the separator then perhaps floor it more often so you have more violent flow through them?

Heck if you can access hoses leading to them spray cleaner in during oil changes or right before one maybe.
Old 07-19-24, 06:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What are you supposed to do with all ot those things?
Poke at them with your feet at random I think?
Old 07-19-24, 06:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Poke at them with your feet at random I think?
All that's missing is the floor mounted headlight dimmer switch. Back in the day your feet were kept busy.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1