Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-24, 08:29 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
How long are we talking? It's already been 7 years lol.

If anything, I'm curious to see how these standalone electric AMGs turn out on the amg.ea platform. 2025 will be interesting...
7 years is nothing in mercedes terms, there's been longer blitzkriegs than that! i just worry the trend is set for AMG to eventually lose its appeal... much like how people don't even want a mercedes anymore they want 'an AMG'
Old 01-24-24, 08:36 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I guess I’m oddball then. I just like the bigger engine with the understated elegance and softer suspension tune. I have no interest in owning a vehicle with red seat belts, red brake calipers, carbon fiber trim, And AMG badges smattered everywhere.
i'm the same, and having owned the E55 for all this time now i'm convinced that's the formula mercedes does best

when a car rides firmly and has stiff seats with flashy colors and a loud exhaust you're expecting it to go very fast, at which point it can only match expectations or even seem underwhelming... when it's been very smooth and comfy and quiet you're way less prepared for the sudden surge of power that keeps you pressed into the seat! it's all about the under promise, over deliver!

plus, i'd much rather my car have as few distinguishing characteristics as possible lmao... i want to do my maneuvers and then be able to anonymously slip back into the flow of traffic
Old 01-24-24, 08:48 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah yes I like your E55. That was my favorite car on Gran turismo 4 in Teal green!
Old 01-24-24, 08:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yes it's a great strategy for increasing immediate profits, i just don't think it's good for long term...
i'm the same, and having owned the E55 for all this time now i'm convinced that's the formula mercedes does best
7 years is nothing in mercedes terms, there's been longer blitzkriegs than that! i just worry the trend is set for AMG to eventually lose its appeal... much like how people don't even want a mercedes anymore they want 'an AMG'
<cough> you seem to be ignoring the tidal wave heading your way. there will be no ICE AMG anything for sale in 10 years, maybe less.

but i did laugh at your dr evil gif.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-24-24 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-24-24, 09:15 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Ah yes I like your E55. That was my favorite car on Gran turismo 4 in Teal green!
same! although for me it's brilliantsilber since that's what my car's color is lol

the only problem with the car in gran turismo 4 is it sounds like a leaf blower (as did most of the cars in that game), luckily by gran turismo 6 they fixed that:

it's thanks to those 2 games that i'm very familiar with the nurburgring, and i did that lap with a stock tuned car on medium sports tires so that "should" be fairly representative of the kind of laps it could really do... although i don't think the game really factors in brake fade haha
Old 01-24-24, 09:18 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
<cough> you seem to be ignoring the tidal wave heading your way. there will be no ICE AMG anything for sale in 10 years, maybe less.

but i did laugh at your dr evil gif.
a car can still be EV but have subtle styling and a comfy ride, but idk there still seems to be a big demand for the AMG V8s... this new disaster of a C63 may prompt mercedes to postpone the full EV switch
Old 01-24-24, 09:21 AM
MidCitiesMildMan
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got personal plates for my 98 Camaro yesterday. It is one of four SS 1LE made in 98, and the only one exported to Canada. So it has metric gauges and an engine block heater. I imported it to the US (which I would never do again).

Old 01-24-24, 09:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
All I know is, I can't find sales figures at all anywhere for the 4700lb C63 S 4 cylinder with 2000 horsepower that nobody wants.
No argument from me there, but these hybrids are [thankfully] not part of the long term strategy nor is it on their standalone platform. Also the C63 isn't for sale here yet.

As long as they're to still stretching the limits of performance on the upper end there shouldn't be an issue. These hybrids, at least the C63, aren't doing that but they have another chance in their electric future. It's telling AMG is getting its own platform with unique technology. In any event, Mercedes will be happy to create a subbrand above the normal AMG and charge even more. They already do it to a degree with the Black Series cars. On the Maybach side, they're doing it as well with their Mythos series.

a car can still be EV but have subtle styling and a comfy ride, but idk there still seems to be a big demand for the AMG V8s... this new disaster of a C63 may prompt mercedes to postpone the full EV switch
The performance of their hybrid has nothing to do with with an EV. The lack of interest in the C63 stems from its weight, I4 engine, and inability to perform. The battery power is really the least of its worries. I do think the V8 cars are going to live longer than originally expected.
Old 01-24-24, 11:50 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

the only problem with the car in gran turismo 4 is it sounds like a leaf blower (as did most of the cars in that game), luckily by gran turismo 6 they fixed that:
Ha! Yeah I remember that weird high pitched synthesized sounding whine. I’m gonna have to hook up the PS3 when I get home and take the E55 around the burgerkingring for fun tonight! Unfortunately my GS 350 isn’t in gran turismo, but its predecessor the Aristo with the 2jz is! No GS 400 though…..
Old 01-24-24, 12:21 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Ha! Yeah I remember that weird high pitched synthesized sounding whine. I’m gonna have to hook up the PS3 when I get home and take the E55 around the burgerkingring for fun tonight! Unfortunately my GS 350 isn’t in gran turismo, but its predecessor the Aristo with the 2jz is! No GS 400 though…..
it's not really much fun around a track tbh, might have something to do with it being a heavy family sedan that prioritizes comfort and ride quality

if you look in that lap i did i'm having to work the steering pretty hard and the car wants to slide all over the place... were it not a car i owned i'd never pick this to race in lol
Old 01-24-24, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MidCitiesMildMan
I got personal plates for my 98 Camaro yesterday. It is one of four SS 1LE made in 98, and the only one exported to Canada. So it has metric gauges and an engine block heater. I imported it to the US (which I would never do again).

Nice car. Great plates
Old 01-24-24, 02:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by MidCitiesMildMan
super clean! i assume very low miles. do you even drive it?
Old 01-24-24, 02:58 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

it's not really much fun around a track tbh, might have something to do with it being a heavy family sedan that prioritizes comfort and ride quality
it can’t be that bad! It’s gotta be better than the Daihtsu Storia or some of the other 50 hp kei cars that take up space In the game! Lol
Old 01-24-24, 03:30 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

it can’t be that bad! It’s gotta be better than the Daihtsu Storia or some of the other 50 hp kei cars that take up space In the game! Lol
Hahaha!!

Daihatsu Storia (109 hp version) vs a Daewoo Leganza (133 hp version) on Laguna Seca. Which is faster?
Old 01-24-24, 03:40 PM
MidCitiesMildMan
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
super clean! i assume very low miles. do you even drive it?
it has around 19k miles. I bought it last year. It took most of the year to get it imported and legal. I plan to drive it some but not a lot. I’ve put about 300 miles on it so far.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1