Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 10:48 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I saw an S580 yesterday when I was getting new rubber installed on my dd. Current S class. It’s a beautiful car. It has presence.
Old 01-25-24, 12:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Anyone seen the movie K-9? Funny, classic Jim Belushi movie about man and dog.

This is roughly a 1983 500SE W126 with about 190hp, as you can see it's not exactly a Porsche 911 but you can clearly tell it's an indestructible German machine designed for tough, high speed driving (and that the W126 is just a brick). Look at the way the driver is flinging the wheel in the visible shots. W126 had the goods for sure. It seems pretty darn neutral and balanced, easy to get accustomed to and place and handle the car (this is what Germans are/were really good at). I would not be surprised if they did not modify anything for that jump, I doubt they did actually.

Imagine trying to pull that off in a 1983 Cadillac Sedan de Ville.

Last edited by AJT123; 01-25-24 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-25-24, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Tsk tsk.... I'll die in a good way if you end up in one of those.
Very unlikely. I do like the big truck but driving it around in urban settings would be really tiresome.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh just try the S8 with the predictive ride system.....it's great. No A8 will be like the S class for smoothness unless you get a base version without any of the performance extras
I will try it but I want the best ride I can have.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Does the one your driving have Dunlop Grandtreks? Seems to be a common complaint with those tires.
I will check when I get back to it tonight
Old 01-25-24, 02:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Very unlikely. I do like the big truck but driving it around in urban settings would be really tiresome.
t
YMMV but LX is perfect size. It's big enough, but not gigantic.
Old 01-25-24, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

This QX80 is about the same size and it would be tiring to drive in the city. Great for travel but not my thing for every day use.
Old 01-25-24, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This QX80 is about the same size and it would be tiring to drive in the city. Great for travel but not my thing for every day use.
how would you know that? You would have to live with it for a very long time to know
Old 01-25-24, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

LX is an amazing size
Old 01-25-24, 02:57 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

If we're looking at jump scenes from films, the Defenders used in the most recent Bond movie were production vehicles and were as delivered by the factory apart from the fitment of an interior roll cage. Suspension and chassis are all stock. The initial leap was 90 feet, and the cars were 10 feet iff the ground at the peak. Needless to say, I have yet to do this with mine.

Old 01-25-24, 03:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
If we're looking at jump scenes from films, the Defenders used in the most recent Bond movie were production vehicles and were as delivered by the factory apart from the fitment of an interior roll cage. Suspension and chassis are all stock. The initial leap was 90 feet, and the cars were 10 feet iff the ground at the peak. Needless to say, I have yet to do this with mine.

https://youtu.be/QU32Wpk8v3w
Very impressive!

Old 01-25-24, 03:06 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

One of those things you can only do once haha. BTW that W126 clip was excellent.
Old 01-26-24, 05:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
how would you know that? You would have to live with it for a very long time to know
I don't agree with this. I think you can tell in 15-20 minutes of test driving and I also think if you've driven one, you've driven them all. These large SUV's are big, heavy and around town it feels like they're a chore to drive. Accelerating, braking in stop and go traffic around town. They're just not great. They're all effectively the same in that general sense of being cumbersome. We have one out of necessity but it's parked 75% of the time. Some people are bothered less by what I'm referring to, but I agree and understand what Steve is saying.

I looked at the new LX 6 weeks ago and for the price tag there is absolutely no way I'd buy that over so many other choices in the same price range. I get the love for the LC/LX being mostly a bullet proof tank, but I don't get the love for it beyond that. And if you're buying new and keeping 3 years, who needs a bullet proof tank?
Old 01-26-24, 06:25 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I get the love for the LC/LX being mostly a bullet proof tank, but I don't get the love for it beyond that. And if you're buying new and keeping 3 years, who needs a bullet proof tank?
from my stint at the toyota dealer i explicitly remember it seeming like toyota basically did everything they could to discourage leasing a land cruiser lol... there were NEVER any special programs or incentives, it was basically range rover money, or LX 570 money so naturally people went for the "better" version

unless you plan on keeping it at least a decade or more the land cruiser is a pretty tough sell, and if the person wasn't already a huge land cruiser fan to begin with it's a near impossible sell... it was also somewhat difficult to explain why it costs SO much more than a sequoia which is noticeably bigger and more spacious
Old 01-26-24, 06:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I don't agree with this. I think you can tell in 15-20 minutes of test driving and I also think if you've driven one, you've driven them all. These large SUV's are big, heavy and around town it feels like they're a chore to drive. Accelerating, braking in stop and go traffic around town. They're just not great. They're all effectively the same in that general sense of being cumbersome. We have one out of necessity but it's parked 75% of the time. Some people are bothered less by what I'm referring to, but I agree and understand what Steve is saying.

I looked at the new LX 6 weeks ago and for the price tag there is absolutely no way I'd buy that over so many other choices in the same price range. I get the love for the LC/LX being mostly a bullet proof tank, but I don't get the love for it beyond that. And if you're buying new and keeping 3 years, who needs a bullet proof tank?
I agree with you on this. Driving a full size SUV every day is annoying, you can constantly feel the bulk. When you jump into something 1000lbs+ lighter and a few inches lower to the ground it feels so much better, especially if you're an assertive driver.
Old 01-26-24, 06:45 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I agree with you on this. Driving a full size SUV every day is annoying, you can constantly feel the bulk. When you jump into something 1000lbs+ lighter and a few inches lower to the ground it feels so much better, especially if you're an assertive driver.
omg haha so true... occasionally i'll drive my friend's 2018 4Runner and i'll instinctively start prepping to make a move between a gap of cars up ahead, when i have to remind myself oh yea this is a truck and not so good at doing this kind of thing

btw even he will occasionally talk of getting a cheap little car since it IS a chore having to use a BOF SUV for every little errand, and that's not even considering the fuel consumption
Old 01-26-24, 07:00 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
omg haha so true... occasionally i'll drive my friend's 2018 4Runner and i'll instinctively start prepping to make a move between a gap of cars up ahead, when i have to remind myself oh yea this is a truck and not so good at doing this kind of thing

btw even he will occasionally talk of getting a cheap little car since it IS a chore having to use a BOF SUV for every little errand, and that's not even considering the fuel consumption
The 4 runner confounds me, I have had 3 in recently so I've had a chance to drive 07/13/18 model year examples and the thing that I just don't understand is how cheap the interiors are for the money, how HUGE the car drives even though actual dimensions are quite small and MUCH smaller than a Range Rover, and how freaking underpowered and fuel hungry the things are. You get all of 16-17mpg to just be horridly slow and unresponsive, heavy, no turn in/stability or tracking all the while being in a cheap interior.......for $50-70k and even the old 07 I did major work on at 160k was STILL an almost $17k car used that then screwed over the owner with massive failures.

I would view it much differently if it was 20k cheaper new and about half that used and didn't drive worse than ANY full size truck and had 100 more HP. Aka I would just buy a full size if I needed truck but this is just outright non-competitive if you have driven anything other than a 4runner in the last decade and a half that is in this size class. You can make the off road argument sure but I counter with Land Rover, VW, Jeep, and the domestic trucks.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1