Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-24, 07:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
from my stint at the toyota dealer i explicitly remember it seeming like toyota basically did everything they could to discourage leasing a land cruiser lol... there were NEVER any special programs or incentives, it was basically range rover money, or LX 570 money so naturally people went for the "better" version

unless you plan on keeping it at least a decade or more the land cruiser is a pretty tough sell, and if the person wasn't already a huge land cruiser fan to begin with it's a near impossible sell... it was also somewhat difficult to explain why it costs SO much more than a sequoia which is noticeably bigger and more spacious
For Toyota body on frames. Need to keep them long term to be worth it IMO. I could never justify leasing one of them.

Originally Posted by Striker223
The 4 runner confounds me, I have had 3 in recently so I've had a chance to drive 07/13/18 model year examples and the thing that I just don't understand is how cheap the interiors are for the money, how HUGE the car drives even though actual dimensions are quite small and MUCH smaller than a Range Rover, and how freaking underpowered and fuel hungry the things are. You get all of 16-17mpg to just be horridly slow and unresponsive, heavy, no turn in/stability or tracking all the while being in a cheap interior.......for $50-70k and even the old 07 I did major work on at 160k was STILL an almost $17k car used that then screwed over the owner with massive failures.

I would view it much differently if it was 20k cheaper new and about half that used and didn't drive worse than ANY full size truck and had 100 more HP. Aka I would just buy a full size if I needed truck but this is just outright non-competitive if you have driven anything other than a 4runner in the last decade and a half that is in this size class. You can make the off road argument sure but I counter with Land Rover, VW, Jeep, and the domestic trucks.
I have a 4th and 5th Gen. the 4th Gen interior is much better with materials than the 5th Gen. the issue with the 5th is that the big wheels and large front cabin make visibility difficult. Both are not great for fuel economy, both of mine get 15mpg combined. But they are large engines with ancient 5 speeds which have their pros and cons. Plus full time 4WD which doesn’t really affect fuel economy all that much.
Old 01-26-24, 07:19 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The 4 runner confounds me, I have had 3 in recently so I've had a chance to drive 07/13/18 model year examples and the thing that I just don't understand is how cheap the interiors are for the money, how HUGE the car drives even though actual dimensions are quite small and MUCH smaller than a Range Rover, and how freaking underpowered and fuel hungry the things are. You get all of 16-17mpg to just be horridly slow and unresponsive, heavy, no turn in/stability or tracking all the while being in a cheap interior.......for $50-70k and even the old 07 I did major work on at 160k was STILL an almost $17k car used that then screwed over the owner with massive failures.

I would view it much differently if it was 20k cheaper new and about half that used and didn't drive worse than ANY full size truck and had 100 more HP. Aka I would just buy a full size if I needed truck but this is just outright non-competitive if you have driven anything other than a 4runner in the last decade and a half that is in this size class. You can make the off road argument sure but I counter with Land Rover, VW, Jeep, and the domestic trucks.
yea it clearly feels like the chassis turns underneath you and then the rest of the car follows shortly after lol... also always thought it was a shame the 1UR from the GX 460 never made its way into the 4Runner as an available engine choice, the 1GR feels woefully slow and yea still gets pretty bad mpgs with no apparent upsides apart from simplicity and longevity
Old 01-26-24, 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yea it clearly feels like the chassis turns underneath you and then the rest of the car follows shortly after lol... also always thought it was a shame the 1UR from the GX 460 never made its way into the 4Runner as an available engine choice, the 1GR feels woefully slow and yea still gets pretty bad mpgs with no apparent upsides apart from simplicity and longevity
I feel that with my new 5th Gen. not at all with the old one. It’s the tire size. It literally feels like the steering was never designed for that size tire/wheel
Old 01-26-24, 07:27 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to mention the 4Runner has very little headroom inside with the sunroof. 6’5” and I do not fit in them at all. I had to drive one across town once and I was shocked at how slow it was. I had to floor it just to get on the expressway!
Old 01-26-24, 08:06 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

All of these complaints are exactly why I've always been baffled at the 4Runner's stellar sales. The reliability factor is obviously huge but I know people who buy them and don't even keep them for longer than 5 years. I suppose the resale value factor is enticing for people as well.
Old 01-26-24, 08:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
All of these complaints are exactly why I've always been baffled at the 4Runner's stellar sales. The reliability factor is obviously huge but I know people who buy them and don't even keep them for longer than 5 years. I suppose the resale value factor is enticing for people as well.
Ever own one?
Old 01-26-24, 08:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ever own one?
I had a 4th gen for one year that I bought used. It now lives at my friend's ranch.
Old 01-26-24, 08:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I need no reasons to justify an LX (I just wanted a 200), but we just got more snow than in 30 years... the thing did not struggle one single time no matter what I threw at it. And y'all know me, I test things. I passed or inched by so many stuck 4x4 trucks.

You have to own one to get it, I don't want to drive anything else. I understand y'all saying they're too big but it doesn't bother me one bit. LX isn't that big.
Old 01-26-24, 08:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

That's why we have choices. There's plenty of vehicles out there that don't "make sense" but are the perfect fit for their owner. It's really what got me into cars in the first place, there's so much variety!
Old 01-26-24, 08:36 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

in this day and age especially i think there's an appeal of an "old" car that's still brand new... the 4Runner also just has this retro cult-like vibe to it, almost like a bronco but actually well built lol
Old 01-26-24, 08:43 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

That's why we have choices. There's plenty of vehicles out there that don't "make sense" but are the perfect fit for their owner. It's really what got me into cars in the first place, there's so much variety!
Agree. Variety didn't get me into cars but you're absolutely right.

We have a roadster, luxury sedan, and luxury SUV.

So many people would say it's a waste for one person to drive a huge 8 passenger SUV, but they can really KMA. I'll drive whatever I want.
Old 01-26-24, 08:48 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,227 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ever own one?
Yep. A 1st Gen and a 2nd gen. Both had so many issues I ditched them for the RXs

Speaking of the 1GR being durable etc I'm gonna go with not really.....I've done chains on 3 now at around 150k miles.
Old 01-26-24, 09:22 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do understand the appeal of the 4Runner. Attractive styling, and high reliability, rugged looks. And in my area they seem to be a stealth wealth status symbol for wealthy people who happily pay the inflated prices. I see lots of them with fancy roof racks, and Patagonia stickers on the back windows. People also frequently buy them for their kids first cars. Land Cruiser the same sort of appeal but in a much more refined package.

I would much rather have a GX 460. Way more comfortable and better power from the V8.
Old 01-26-24, 09:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

4 Runners are massively popular here, huggggge.
Old 01-26-24, 09:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

They're super popular here too. Respect to Toyota, they know their customers and know how to create a strong following.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1