Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
A man should be able to fix his carriage and his home and be self sufficient.

If they can't or don't want to do that, they will pay dearly to sub contract these things out to others.

Prices for services has risen astronomically.

That car can probably have all that $9k of work done for $2k or less in parts, I'm guessing.
If was the original owner. I would do the work and keep the LS400 going.
Old 01-28-24, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If much rather ignore a chain that will do over 300 easy lol

LOTS of people.

l
I don’t think many people would think a 26 year old Lexus would lack any work. Seems like that post was just anti-Lexus for the sake of being anti Lexus. Most people would not have the funds to do that type of repair anyway

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-24 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

in other news, you can see what i call my lc.

SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So would I, and the Car Wizard said the same thing.

I don’t think many people would think a 26 year old Lexus would lack any work. Seems like that post was just anti-Lexus for the sake of being anti Lexus. Most people would have the funds to do that type of repair anyway
Not meant to be anti Lexus at all. I had that very car remember? We have absolutely had this argument in here though with this concept that all you do is change the oil and they never require any work, and that the passage of time doesn’t mean anything. That’s just absolutely not true.

26 years it’s going to need work…
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

He wasn’t, and seems to have bought an extremely neglected one.

It does say something that he does want to fix it and keep the car.

Fix all that you’ve got another 200k on that car.
Old 01-28-24, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123

Did you watch the video? He addresses that. The car is not neglected, it’s just old. Everything that needs to be done are rubber wear items that just break down with time. That’s the point I have made to you before…nothing lasts forever

You put a Lexus that old on a lift, even if you think it has no needs it will have a lot of needs.
Old 01-28-24, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So would I, and the Car Wizard said the same thing.

Not meant to be anti Lexus at all. I had that very car remember? We have absolutely had this argument in here though with this concept that all you do is change the oil and they never require any work, and that the passage of time doesn’t mean anything. That’s just absolutely not true.

26 years it’s going to need work…
For a 10 year old Lexus with normal miles. All you have to do is change the oil. When one says “change the oil” they don’t mean that literally. Oil, fluids etc on a regular car need to be done. . most people with common sense know that a 26 year old Lexus would require work.

the work that the Lexus LS400 is not maintenance, they are repairs. The parts are simply wearing out.

I agree

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-24 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 12:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For a 10 year old Lexus with normal miles. All you have to do is change the oil. When one says “change the oil” they don’t mean that literally. Oil, fluids etc on a regular car need to be done. . most people with common sense know that a 26 year old Lexus would require work.

the work that the Lexus LS400 is not maintenance, they are repairs. The parts are simply wearing out.
Even at 10 years old with normal miles a Lexus is going to require more than just changing the oil, you have to be prepared for repairs...especially on an LS or GS etc. I've owned them, I know...all of the Lexus vehicles I have owned past a warranty lease term have required repairs at or before that time.

On an older car, worn out components become maintenance. For instance if you put AJT's LS430 up on a lift, I bet you could come up with $5,000 worth of work that can be done to it. Great example are the flex discs in the driveshaft, something you're not going to find unless you look for it. Worn control arm bushings are another example, may not be creating a clunk yet but they're worn and could be replaced I'm sure. You'll find oil leaks that may not result in a puddle on the ground, for instance valve cover gaskets, transmission pan gaskets, that steering rack leak. My ES300 has several leaks but leaves no fluid on the ground, you would never know unless you put it up on a lift and looked for them. I don't recall him saying he had the timing belt done anytime recently. I'm sure its due for a timing belt.

People absolutely buy old Lexus vehicles like that and expect that they are going to need nothing but oil changes. Like the Wizard said, the owner commented the repairs were more costly than the car itself. Striker has seen the same thing with his customers.
Old 01-28-24, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Haha thats awesome. The MB App doesn't work right on my watch which is a bummer...
Old 01-28-24, 12:56 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

i wonder if in 5, 10 years you guys will still be talking about maintaining ice.

in other news, i went to gas up my lc - first time i've gotten gas since october.
Uh yeah, please come back to reality.
in 5-10 yrs I know I will.

I put gas in my PHEV yesterday for the first time since Sept 10th.

I’ve filled up 4 cars this week. 🫣
Old 01-28-24, 01:07 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

This is timely. 1998 LS400 in with the CarWizard. Needs $7,000 worth of work (remember, a Lexus just runs forever and never needs any work right?)

Talking about the timing belt job. IMO not having to deal with this every 90k miles is a big upgrade.
yes! i've been waiting for the wizard to get "my" car in the shop, same color too! i'm pretty sure my car has just about all the same leaks btw, no puddles or drops on the ground to speak of but when i'm under the car changing the oil i can see the edges of the pans are wet in a similar way to the car in the video

i figured this out about the LS 400 years ago and the wizard's findings back me up... but (other than premium fuel lol) this car actually isn't too expensive to keep going, if all you care about is that it's just physically able to drive... to keep this car running the best it can be is when things will absolutely get expensive quickly, but hearing the wizard say he also agrees that the LS 400 is something worth restoring made me very happy lol

a big difference is that since the 90s LS is just so thoroughly high quality and didn't try to incorporate anything particularly unconventional or experimental, it can keep running like CRAP for a long time without a major catastrophe, but it'll keep running... that degree of cockroach in a nuclear apocalypse is rare amongst cars, let alone such a nice fancy luxurious one
Old 01-28-24, 01:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Even at 10 years old with normal miles a Lexus is going to require more than just changing the oil, you have to be prepared for repairs...especially on an LS or GS etc. I've owned them, I know...all of the Lexus vehicles I have owned past a warranty lease term have required repairs at or before that time.

On an older car, worn out components become maintenance. For instance if you put AJT's LS430 up on a lift, I bet you could come up with $5,000 worth of work that can be done to it. Great example are the flex discs in the driveshaft, something you're not going to find unless you look for it. Worn control arm bushings are another example, may not be creating a clunk yet but they're worn and could be replaced I'm sure. You'll find oil leaks that may not result in a puddle on the ground, for instance valve cover gaskets, transmission pan gaskets, that steering rack leak. My ES300 has several leaks but leaves no fluid on the ground, you would never know unless you put it up on a lift and looked for them. I don't recall him saying he had the timing belt done anytime recently. I'm sure its due for a timing belt.

People absolutely buy old Lexus vehicles like that and expect that they are going to need nothing but oil changes. Like the Wizard said, the owner commented the repairs were more costly than the car itself. Striker has seen the same thing with his customers.
I never said a Lexus "lasts forever" and you didn't prove any point. And I'm tempted to take my LS to the shop right now and see if they can find anything wrong, let alone 5 grand worth, lmao just to prove you wrong.

The car has zero leaks, I replaced control arm bushings yearrrrrs ago. I had them do valve cover gaskets preventative just because it's easy when I replaced spark plugs. Timing belt is fine, not something to address for years. The car needs nothing.

Nothing but oil changes, that is.
Old 01-28-24, 01:32 PM
jonoverton
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Of course you could find 5k worth of work that could be done. He could go replace the tires. Doesnt mean it needs to be done. My 2004 LS doesnt leak from anywhere and it has 128k miles. Ive had it on a lift to check, it doesnt need anything replaced because it's worn out or even close.

One thing you wont have to do on it, replace 25k worth of batteries.
Old 01-28-24, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by jonoverton
My 2004 LS doesnt leak from anywhere and it has 128k miles. Ive had it on a lift to check, it doesnt need anything replaced because it's worn out or even close.

good job i have no interest in driving a car 20 years old.
Old 01-28-24, 01:37 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Very snazzy Bit!

Too fancy for me.

I still start my car the "old school" way with metal key in ignition.

Not ready for Push Start either, no thanks. Lol

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
in 5-10 yrs I know I will.

I put gas in my PHEV yesterday for the first time since Sept 10th.

I’ve filled up 4 cars this week. 🫣
Yeah, me too.
And I fix electrical stuff for my job.

One day maybe an EV but not ready yet, still learning about them.

Originally Posted by jonoverton
Of course you could find 5k worth of work that could be done. He could go replace the tires. Doesnt mean it needs to be done. My 2004 LS doesnt leak from anywhere and it has 128k miles. Ive had it on a lift to check, it doesnt need anything replaced because it's worn out or even close.

If someone buys an older car and wants to make it like new again, it will need to be gone thru and money spent.

It's not hard to rack up a big bill.

However, for a daily local driver I'd only do what it needs.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1