Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 01:41 PM
jonoverton
Rookie

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good job i have no interest in driving a car 20 years old.
someone's special I see. Good for you.
Old 01-28-24, 02:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Very snazzy Bit!
Too fancy for me.
I still start my car the "old school" way with metal key in ignition.
Not ready for Push Start either, no thanks. Lol
nothing to do with starting it... guess you didn't read what i wrote, but that's ok.

Originally Posted by jonoverton
someone's special I see. Good for you.
no, just different strokes... some people enjoy driving 100 year old cars!
Old 01-28-24, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I never said a Lexus "lasts forever" and you didn't prove any point. And I'm tempted to take my LS to the shop right now and see if they can find anything wrong, let alone 5 grand worth, lmao just to prove you wrong.

The car has zero leaks, I replaced control arm bushings yearrrrrs ago. I had them do valve cover gaskets preventative just because it's easy when I replaced spark plugs. Timing belt is fine, not something to address for years. The car needs nothing.

Nothing but oil changes, that is.
If we could take it to my shop I would take that bet. 20 year old rubber is not the same as new rubber. Unless you have removed all of the shrouding and shielding and looked up into it with a flashlight you can’t see all the places it is probably leaking.

Timing belt needs to be done per Lexus at 90k miles or 10 years, so it should be on its second timing belt just by the years.

Of course you could find 5k worth of work that could be done. He could go replace the tires. Doesnt mean it needs to be done. My 2004 LS doesnt leak from anywhere and it has 128k miles. Ive had it on a lift to check, it doesnt need anything replaced because it's worn out or even close.

One thing you wont have to do on it, replace 25k worth of batteries.
Like Stroock said, if all you care about is it being able to drive fine then that’s fine, but there are many things that are worn, out of spec, not performing as they were intended to etc. It’s 20 years old, it is not like new no matter how well it’s been maintained, and at some point you will start having to replace those things because they will begin to impact drivability.

And EVs don’t need $25k worth of batteries either lol.

This is not a knock against Lexus in the slightest, it’s just that nothing lasts forever and ANY car that is 20+ years old has the potential to need significant and expensive repairs. You get to a point where the car’s intrinsic value is worth more than its financial value, with that $7k of work that LS will continue to be a great car that will deliver a much better driving experience than what $12,000 could have bought the owner (assuming he paid $5k for the car). Plus, a lot of that I would just not do.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-28-24 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Very snazzy Bit!

Too fancy for me.

I still start my car the "old school" way with metal key in ignition.

Not ready for Push Start either, no thanks. Lol
I truly hate the push button start on my 21 4Runner.

Originally Posted by SW17LS

This is not a knock against Lexus in the slightest, it’s just that nothing lasts forever and ANY car that is 20+ years old has the potential to need significant and expensive repairs. You get to a point where the car’s intrinsic value is worth more than its financial value, with that $7k of work that LS will continue to be a great car that will deliver a much better driving experience than what $12,000 could have bought the owner (assuming he paid $5k for the car). Plus, a lot of that I would just not do.
When you bring up a 26 year old high mileage Lexus and you then mention that Toyota Lexus owners claim that all these owners claims that oil changes are all that are needed, it comes off as a knock and 100% anti-Lexus. That is the way it looks

And EVs don’t need $25k worth of batteries either lol.

One thing you wont have to do on it, replace 25k worth of batteries.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-24 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People have posted in this very thread that their 20 year old Lexuses need nothing but oil changes lol.

Saying nothing lasts forever is not anti-Lexus, it’s just reality. Lexus makes very reliable cars but they don’t cheat time.

Ask people who own old high mileage Teslas, they don’t have issues with batteries. Will they eventually go bad? Absolutely. Because nothing lasts forever
Old 01-28-24, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

People have posted in this very thread that their 20 year old Lexuses need nothing but oil changes lol.
I am sure this exists for some, it’s possible based on low miles and how used on on the road etc, this is likely true for many with cars that are less than 10 years old . But, the saying is not to be taken literally. When someone says “all it takes is oil” and then say their Lexus is “26 years” old, then that is BS. When someone says all “all I do is oil changes” that means I have had this car, and it hasn’t given me much hassle. They are not referring to their 26 year old car where they never did anything other than oil changes.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-24 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 03:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in other news, you can see what i call my lc.

Thats fantastic
Old 01-28-24, 03:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

Even at 10 years old with normal miles a Lexus is going to require more than just changing the oil, you have to be prepared for repairs...especially on an LS or GS etc. I've owned them, I know...all of the Lexus vehicles I have owned past a warranty lease term have required repairs at or before that time.

On an older car, worn out components become maintenance. For instance if you put AJT's LS430 up on a lift, I bet you could come up with $5,000 worth of work that can be done to it. Great example are the flex discs in the driveshaft, something you're not going to find unless you look for it. Worn control arm bushings are another example, may not be creating a clunk yet but they're worn and could be replaced I'm sure. You'll find oil leaks that may not result in a puddle on the ground, for instance valve cover gaskets, transmission pan gaskets, that steering rack leak. My ES300 has several leaks but leaves no fluid on the ground, you would never know unless you put it up on a lift and looked for them. I don't recall him saying he had the timing belt done anytime recently. I'm sure its due for a timing belt.

People absolutely buy old Lexus vehicles like that and expect that they are going to need nothing but oil changes. Like the Wizard said, the owner commented the repairs were more costly than the car itself. Striker has seen the same thing with his customers.
Yep, totally correct.

I regard all rubber bits as wear items and that's why I replace them all on my cars when I buy them. The 430/460/4.0/W12 all had/will have their entire sets of driveline mounts and suspension replaced, same with the wheel bearings and driveshaft disks/support. If it has an issue come up with one it gets all 4 etc

Age kills rubber and honestly to really be able to feel a car in it's true form you need all that to be tight.

EDIT: I expect my stuff to at least meet all as new performance metrics so it bothers the hell out of me when they can't so I fix it. I also drive them extremely hard here and there so I need confidence they are working otherwise I can't drive them how I want to. That's why I have indexed lug nuts etc so I can tell with a glance if TQ is correct/haven't backed off. Same reason that before I drive I check all fluids etc so I know all is well.

Cars I don't care past conveying me somewhere like my work Jeep or the other daily drivers it's whatever if they move and all gears are there etc. The Jeep is not gonna get all new suspension bushings just to have that nice tight new car feel again because it doesn't matter to me.

I had to drop $5600 in parts for my W12 to reset everything, totally worth it to me since to get something I actually would want more/enjoy as much would cost at least $140k. No one else would have even know stuff technically needed to be replaced or carbon cleaning done since it was smooth and quiet but I require to be able to cold start it with a nickel standing on its side. Cold. Every time. It was only able to pull it off 3/5 attempts so new mounts and carbon cleaning was the "fix"

Now I can't stop driving the thing and when I started the 4.0TT for a second I actually thought something was wrong with the engine lol! A solid month of driving the 12 has made V8s feel "off" to me now

Last edited by Striker223; 01-28-24 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am sure this exists for some, it’s possible based on low miles and how used on on the road etc, this is likely true for many with cars that are less than 10 years old . But, the saying is not to be taken literally. When someone says “all it takes is oil” and then say their Lexus is “26 years” old, then that is BS. When someone says all “all I do is oil changes” that means I have had this car, and it hasn’t given me much hassle. They are not referring to their 26 year old car where they never did anything other than oil changes.
I don’t agree that we shouldn’t take what people say literally. When they say all they do is change the oil, if that’s not true then they aren’t being honest.

On the other topic of me and SUVs. I drove the S560 today after having driven that QX80 all week, yeah I’m not getting an SUV lol
Old 01-28-24, 04:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t agree that we shouldn’t take what people say literally. When they say all they do is change the oil, if that’s not true then they aren’t being honest.
of course it’s not true. Nobody could possibly make it 26 years driving with just oil changes. You could probably and likely make it 10 years with nothing but tires, oil, fluids, plugs

QUOTE=SW17LS;11658763]I
On the other topic of me and SUVs. I drove the S560 today after having driven that QX80 all week, yeah I’m not getting an SUV lol
[/QUOTE]

Body on frame SUVs make the perfect compliment to a nice sedan. IMO. Never a replacement
Old 01-28-24, 05:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Yeah I could’ve called that one. I love driving a nice SUV on road trips but daily driving around town, in the city, running errands, etc. give me a car all day any day.
Old 01-28-24, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
of course it’s not true. Nobody could possibly make it 26 years driving with just oil changes. You could probably and likely make it 10 years with nothing but tires, oil, fluids, plugs
Of course not, that’s my point.
Old 01-28-24, 05:15 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yeah I could’ve called that one. I love driving a nice SUV on road trips but daily driving around town, in the city, running errands, etc. give me a car all day any day.
Yep, and I think some type of EV as your car/sedan really takes it to another level. Going from driving our EV to our big SUV around town is just crazy. I truly enjoy driving the EV.
Old 01-28-24, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Complete opposite for me. Much rather drive my SUVs in the city. Especially in downtown city traffic.
Old 01-28-24, 05:32 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Yep, and I think some type of EV as your car/sedan really takes it to another level. Going from driving our EV to our big SUV around town is just crazy. I truly enjoy driving the EV.

Couldn’t agree more!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1