Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Complete opposite for me. Much rather drive my SUVs in the city. Especially in downtown city traffic.
They’re not that size though, a much smaller one I would like the higher seating position in the city.
Old 01-28-24, 05:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,205 Likes on 894 Posts

of course it’s not true. Nobody could possibly make it 26 years driving with just oil changes. You could probably and likely make it 10 years with nothing but tires, oil, fluids, plugs

Body on frame SUVs make the perfect compliment to a nice sedan. IMO. Never a replacement[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, best to have some type of large BOF for work type tasks
Old 01-28-24, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

i have no need for a hugely space inefficient gas guzzling bof suv, but they are handy if you don't mind those aspects or need to tow something.

it's funny, i went from a jeep grand cherokee suv, to a 'huge' sedan (genesis g90) to a midsize suv again (hyundai santa fe), to basically a cuv ev (hyundai ioniq 5). for the jollies i got the lc500 which is useless for 'work' but i don't care.

so for daily work driving, i've downsized a lot... and i enjoy the smaller vehicle... easier to park, more fun to drive and with the ev zoot, a hoot to pass almost anything and 'disappear' at traffic lights.

and the lc500 takes a split second to get its mojo from a stop, but it's faster than the ioniq 5 as one would expect.
Old 01-28-24, 06:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have no need for a hugely space inefficient gas guzzling bof suv, but they are handy if you don't mind those aspects.

it's funny, i went from a jeep grand cherokee suv, to a 'huge' sedan (genesis g90) to a midsize suv again (hyundai santa fe), to basically a cuv ev (hyundai ioniq 5). for the jollies i got the lc500 which is useless for 'work' but i don't care.

so for daily work driving, i've downsized a lot... and i enjoy the smaller vehicle... easier to park, more fun to drive and with the ev zoot, a hoot to pass almost anything and 'disappear' at traffic lights.
good for you
Old 01-28-24, 06:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223

t

i have had a body on frame SUV for over 30 years. Full time 4WD for 25+ years. Becomes a part of your life. (Versatility). Just not really on board with the hybrid stuff in the Toyota SUVs

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-24 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 06:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

i have had a body on frame SUV for over 30 years. Full time 4WD for 25+ years. Becomes a part of your life. (Versatility). Just not really on board with the hybrid stuff in the Toyota SUVs
I started with a full size truck, very useful and essential if you can only own one thing but once I tried cars it was over.....They are just too superior for actually driving, now a truck is just another tool to me.
Old 01-28-24, 07:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Body on frame SUVs make the perfect compliment to a nice sedan. IMO. Never a replacement

Agree, it's nice to have both. Like I said, LX is the crowned road trip vehicle in our fleet....

It doesn't basically drive itself and track 100MPH like, well, a flagship luxury sedan like the LS430, but it doesn't wander either and the ride is excellent with the AHC. It's just as quiet if not more. The cooler, ML stereo, driving position, capability, room, great visibility, 4 zone climate, safety, etc. seal the deal.

Last edited by AJT123; 01-28-24 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 07:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Agree, it's nice to have both. Like I said, LX is the crowned road trip vehicle in our fleet....

It doesn't basically drive itself and track 100MPH like, well, a flagship luxury sedan like the LS430 and basically drive itself, but it doesn't wander either and the ride is excellent with the AHC. It's just as quiet if not more. The cooler, ML stereo, driving position, capability, room, great visibility, 4 zone climate, safety, etc. seal the deal.
The LX just wouldn’t be the same if it lacked full time 4WD or a V8. And too bad your stuck with a dumb 3rd row. A two tier shelf in the cargo would be ideal. I have that in my old truck but my new truck I’m stuck with a 3rd row 👎
Old 01-28-24, 10:02 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

A stunning amount of people, same deal with Toyota and Honda.
I have a Honda and a Toyota now and have had 3 Lexus vehicles in the past. All of them had flaws. All except for the 2016 IS350 had downtime due to reliability issues. I suppose it’s all relative. As a young, I had a 1972 Fiat 124 Special, which was the sedan, not the spider or coupe, and a 1979 Fiat 131 Brava. Going from that to Toyota was like, “so this is what it feels like to know you’re going to get to your destination.”
Old 01-28-24, 11:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I owned a 20 year old Lexus and it definitely needed a LOT more than oil changes. It was down more than it was up.

Maybe it's worse back east, but out here a half-ton truck or SUV isn't really a big hassle to drive around the city. My F-150 has been great for DD duty in Las Vegas. Now it gets to rest a little bit and it's fun to shoot around in the bimmer, but I still drive the truck to work at least once a week and enjoy it.

Old 01-28-24, 11:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I owned a 20 year old Lexus and it definitely needed a LOT more than oil changes. It was down more than it was up.

Maybe it's worse back east, but out here a half-ton truck or SUV isn't really a big hassle to drive around the city. My F-150 has been great for DD duty in Las Vegas. Now it gets to rest a little bit and it's fun to shoot around in the bimmer, but I still drive the truck to work at least once a week and enjoy it.
Roads are big enough everywhere around here, more than big enough. I've never been anywhere where I thought my vehicle was too big in general. But I like big cars also.

Driving a truck is cake here.

Old 01-29-24, 03:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I started with a full size truck, very useful and essential if you can only own one thing but once I tried cars it was over.....They are just too superior for actually driving, now a truck is just another tool to me.
Same, my first two vehicles were midsize pickups (Ranger, Dakota). At the time I was all "I'll never have anything but a truck". Then I got an E46 3-series and have never had a truck of any kind again. That was 24 years ago.
Old 01-29-24, 06:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have no need for a hugely space inefficient gas guzzling bof suv, but they are handy if you don't mind those aspects or need to tow something.

and the lc500 takes a split second to get its mojo from a stop, but it's faster than the ioniq 5 as one would expect.
Originally Posted by AJT123

It doesn't basically drive itself and track 100MPH like, well, a flagship luxury sedan like the LS430, but it doesn't wander either and the ride is excellent with the AHC. It's just as quiet if not more. The cooler, ML stereo, driving position, capability, room, great visibility, 4 zone climate, safety, etc. seal the deal.
Great vehicle for a long highway trip, especially with a lane centering feature like they have now. The separation of the body from the frame gives you more isolation from road noise, which is the one area the LS isn't that well insulated from so that makes sense. Definitely more wind rush though at speeds above 70, thats just a function of the much higher drag.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Totally different from Vegas, I've driven around Vegas a lot. The issue is moving around traffic which requires quick lane changes and squeezing through tight gaps in traffic thats the issue to me. The big SUV is just lumbering and doesn't make quick directional inputs confidence inspiring. You also have a lot of very tight parking garages. Vegas by comparison is big and wide...

I also just find them tiring to drive when you're doing a lot of steering and maneuvering in parking lots etc. Tons of body lean in corners which is tiring etc
Old 01-29-24, 01:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Great vehicle for a long highway trip, especially with a lane centering feature like they have now. The separation of the body from the frame gives you more isolation from road noise, which is the one area the LS isn't that well insulated from so that makes sense. Definitely more wind rush though at speeds above 70, thats just a function of the much higher drag.

Totally different from Vegas, I've driven around Vegas a lot. The issue is moving around traffic which requires quick lane changes and squeezing through tight gaps in traffic thats the issue to me. The big SUV is just lumbering and doesn't make quick directional inputs confidence inspiring. You also have a lot of very tight parking garages. Vegas by comparison is big and wide...

I also just find them tiring to drive when you're doing a lot of steering and maneuvering in parking lots etc. Tons of body lean in corners which is tiring etc

Fully understandable. Makes me glad we have so much variety on the market.

On another note, I took the F-150 in for its 100k mile service today. My lyft driver that brought me home was driving a 2013 C250. First time riding in a W204 and it had not held up very well. Reminded me a lot of the Daimler era of Chrysler products which makes sense given when the W204 was designed.
Old 01-29-24, 04:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I've been really busy but finally have two days I'm fully free, so logically since it's 34* out I need to wash my car and the new daily diesel sled. Just trying to get that one clean in the literal sense not perfect....

Finally cleaned the "daily" off, only did 5 touchless washes for nearly a month since it's been so damn cold. Normally it doesn't even see rain lol!

Econobox getting clean enough so I don't cringe touching it.

"Degreasing"

Hilariously small car

I can basically fit two of these end to end in my garage lol!

Last edited by Striker223; 01-29-24 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1