Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 05:52 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Stellantis I6 only has 4 bolt mains. I'm trying to confirm it.

This is a 3.0L motor that has 510hp, that's crazy.

For example, the 4.3 UZ which is the most under stressed engine in the world in the LS430 has SIX bolt mains.
Inline 6's work differently in terms of force on the crankshaft because they're perfectly balanced as well as the angle of the rods and pistons to the crank.

The venerable 2JZ can handle tons of power and used 2 bolt mains. I believe the B58 from BMW is also a 2 bolt main, and nobody can say BMW doesn't know inline 6 engines.

Old 01-30-24, 05:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly! So strange…and then they had all the press thinking it was a whole new model and then they were all like “oh…okay” when they actually saw it
Originally Posted by TangoRed
But why have it listed as a completely different model? It should’ve been a trim level or made smaller, not be the exact same size. They didn’t even move the rear seat backwards to allow for more passenger sosce.
I actually like the idea. Makes it look like 3rows is not an $$$ option or package. I think it’s cool that the 2 row is marketed differently..and just the fact they have 2 row in that size is admirable .
Old 01-30-24, 06:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Inline 6's work differently in terms of force on the crankshaft because they're perfectly balanced as well as the angle of the rods and pistons to the crank.
Ahh, nice to know. I did wonder if that had something to do with it.

The venerable 2JZ can handle tons of power and used 2 bolt mains. I believe the B58 from BMW is also a 2 bolt main, and nobody can say BMW doesn't know inline 6 engines.
Right....
Old 01-30-24, 06:09 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep! Also, this Hurricane motor has been out on the streets for a year now in the Wagoneer. Seems like the early issues have been limited to misfires caused by engine software faults.
Old 01-30-24, 06:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Stellantis I6 only has 4 bolt mains. I'm trying to confirm it.

This is a 3.0L motor that has 510hp, that's crazy.

For example, the 4.3 UZ which is the most under stressed engine in the world in the LS430 has SIX bolt mains.
It's probably a bedplate engine so it doesn't matter nearly as much, it's very unlikely they are using individual caps in this day and age....

Also bolt count doesn't matter, I have a 840hp engine that is a two bolt main CAP style and as long as you machine it well (line hone, proper register fit, correct TQ during hone etc) and have correct materials to take it it's fine.

Another thing to keep in mind is rod ratio and trust angles, a V8 has a good amount of lateral forces vs an inline that is almost all vertical so less reinforcement is needed on top of the fact each piston gets a dedicated crank throw vs shared in a V8

Im certain this new Mopar engine will output more than any Lexus ever and do so relatively reliably as well. They always get the serious engines right ala 6.1/6.2/6.4 and the older 5.9/5.2 engines. The 4.0 AMC I-6 is also absurdly good, I've been driving mine in a blown headgasket for two years now due to overheating to the point of boiling the overflow bottle 26 times. It doesn't care so I've been to lazy to fix it

Last edited by Striker223; 01-30-24 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 07:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

this is probably the best review I’ve ever seen of the land cruiser. I think Harry gets it exactly right.

and it’s astonishing to see the new 3.5 L turbo engine installed with a hydraulic steering system. Toyota still uses the hydraulic steering system and sub markets,

@SW17LS “ remember, all you need to do is change the oil”

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-30-24 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 08:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Mazda continues to demonstrate that they have the absolute worst product planning in the entire industry.
i don't think that's the issue. i think it's that they have very little budget.
Old 01-30-24, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Haha I have seen that Car Nut LC video I haven’t watched it yet
Old 01-30-24, 09:21 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think that's the issue. i think it's that they have very little budget.
That's not a good excuse when they've already developed the CX-60 yet refuse to sell any form of it in the U.S. Most predictions of the CX-70 were a widebody CX-60. But nope, we got a CX-90 with its third row permanently folded down; as if 8 trims for the CX-90 wasn't already enough.

But hey, rotary-engine MX-30 - that's what Mazda thinks people want.
Old 01-31-24, 03:46 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

That's not a good excuse when they've already developed the CX-60 yet refuse to sell any form of it in the U.S. Most predictions of the CX-70 were a widebody CX-60. But nope, we got a CX-90 with its third row permanently folded down; as if 8 trims for the CX-90 wasn't already enough.

Agree. Not sure why Mazda has decided to differentiate between US and other markets for what is basically the same vehicle. Maybe something in the works with Toyota for future vehicles since Toyota does have an interest in Mazda?
Old 01-31-24, 07:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

again i assume it's all budget-related. getting the cx-70 through u.s. regulatory hurdles was probably nothing given that, as you say, it's a 2 row cx-90. getting entirely new models though... expensive.
mazda just sells so few cars. i really think tney need to be absorbed into another car maker.
Old 01-31-24, 09:38 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m very disappointed in this CX-70, why couldn’t they just give us the CX-60??
Old 01-31-24, 11:43 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
My drifting days are behind me now but it looks like you may know a little about it. Lol

Sliding around corners was always fun, as long as car doesn't loose control of course.

Then it's a bad day. Lol
It was a very unforgiving car with Eibach springs. It wasn’t very low, but it was very stiff in the rear. If you went into a corner hot, the AE was coming around. I did slide it around in a parking lot during a hailstorm and broke the speedometer cable in the process. I got out just in time to see the first two police units arrive. I was young. The car is much more manageable with the B&G springs.
Old 01-31-24, 12:25 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Agree. Not sure why Mazda has decided to differentiate between US and other markets for what is basically the same vehicle. Maybe something in the works with Toyota for future vehicles since Toyota does have an interest in Mazda?
It's like they're still stuck in the 90's where JDM offerings were completely different from global offerings for every Japanese brand.

I'm not sure what Toyota and Mazda would collaborate with each other for, besides their currently existing shared factory. Mazda seems to be going out of their way to completely avoid Toyota in all their new projects, developing their own RWD platform, inline-6 engines, PHEV systems, and even transmissions in-house. Toyota has no need for a new RWD ICE architecture when they already have their own (TNGA-L) and generally the entire brand is now trying its best to avoid RWD altogether. At this point, Subaru and Toyota have closer ties than Mazda.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
again i assume it's all budget-related. getting the cx-70 through u.s. regulatory hurdles was probably nothing given that, as you say, it's a 2 row cx-90. getting entirely new models though... expensive.
mazda just sells so few cars. i really think tney need to be absorbed into another car maker.
What about the CX-60 would not make it pass U.S. regulations? It's already been crashed tested by Euro NCAP which has much overlap with IIHS and NHTSA crash testing. Regulatory costs also didn't stop Mazda from bringing over the MX-30, a niche vehicle sold in one state that was on sale for a grand total of 2 model years.

Much like the premature demise of Amati, there appears a serious disconnect between Mazda Japan and Mazda USA communication that resulted in this mess.
Old 01-31-24, 01:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Mazda is getting trolled in the press for this, MotorTrend I think it was went as far as to suggest we were being trolled

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1