Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 02:47 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I flashed my truck back to stock this week prior to taking it in for its 100k mile service at the dealer(I rarely have service done by the dealer, but decided to do it this time).
If it’s no longer under warranty, why bother?
Old 02-01-24, 03:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's more in case they flash anything on the computer and it messes it up because they weren't expecting a tune.
Old 02-01-24, 03:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Same reason some people don't go to dealers at all, their ability to mess things up is amazing. Knowing them they may try and claim their is a computer fault or something
Old 02-01-24, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Went to Land Rover today to drive a Range Rover. No Range Rovers to drive, wait is 10-12 months for a SWB model, 12-15 months for a LWB model with no third row and 18+ months for a LWB model with the third row. He said honestly "you basically have to just order and have no time horizon, there is no way to know when it will come in".

So, obviously couldn't drive that. I did drive a Sport, and Sports are easy to get. They have 6 on the lot and the wait for a custom order is about 6 months. I really liked the Sport, even with the base 6 cyl it just feels an order of magnitude more special than the V8 GLS I drove. Interior quality was just absolutely top notch, I didn't care for the piano black under the infotainment screen, but all the materials were great with no hard plastic anywhere other than the low B pillars, doors are full leather/soft material even on the base car. Base leather dramatically better than any leather on the GLE/GLS except the exclusive nappa. Love the dark chrome accents everywhere, great seats and great seating position.

Ride and drive are great, truly the only SUVs I have driven where you give up very little from a sedan. Ride was 90% as nice as my S Class even on the shorter Sport model, a hair more wind noise at 75-80 but not much, very well isolated from the road. The I6 gives a nice growl when pushed and is very smooth, smoother than MB's I6, more similar to the BMW B58.

Sizewise its a very nice size, even adjusted for me there was enough space in the second row, although obviously nowhere near whats in the S Class. If I were to do an SUV, a Range Rover would be what I would want. BUT, I think for me what I want is the full Range Rover and a Sport, even a really high spec one which I could get, I'm always going to be wanting the big one just like when I had other Lexuses I always wanted the LS, and then I wanted the S Class...

I could just order a Range Rover spec'ed how I want and still buy out the S560 and just see what happens...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am excited to check out the new GX.

Look what MT had to say about the interior

" no mistaking the quality of almost everything in the first and second rows. Best of all, this applies to the entire 2024 GX range down to the base Premium. "

The new GX has an outstanding interior
Thats good to hear, although it may be high quality it looks very dour IMO. I sat in a Defender today though and it makes total sense, even at $106k there was nothing luxurious about it inside at all.
Old 02-01-24, 03:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Im excited to see this system come to the other VAG cars down the line, pairs perfectly with full active sway bars/suspension/diffs/steering IMO.
Old 02-01-24, 03:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Went to Land Rover today to drive a Range Rover. No Range Rovers to drive, wait is 10-12 months for a SWB model, 12-15 months for a LWB model with no third row and 18+ months for a LWB model with the third row. He said honestly "you basically have to just order and have no time horizon, there is no way to know when it will come in".

So, obviously couldn't drive that. I did drive a Sport, and Sports are easy to get. They have 6 on the lot and the wait for a custom order is about 6 months. I really liked the Sport, even with the base 6 cyl it just feels an order of magnitude more special than the V8 GLS I drove. Interior quality was just absolutely top notch, I didn't care for the piano black under the infotainment screen, but all the materials were great with no hard plastic anywhere other than the low B pillars, doors are full leather/soft material even on the base car. Base leather dramatically better than any leather on the GLE/GLS except the exclusive nappa. Love the dark chrome accents everywhere, great seats and great seating position.

Ride and drive are great, truly the only SUVs I have driven where you give up very little from a sedan. Ride was 90% as nice as my S Class even on the shorter Sport model, a hair more wind noise at 75-80 but not much, very well isolated from the road. The I6 gives a nice growl when pushed and is very smooth, smoother than MB's I6, more similar to the BMW B58.

Sizewise its a very nice size, even adjusted for me there was enough space in the second row, although obviously nowhere near whats in the S Class. If I were to do an SUV, a Range Rover would be what I would want. BUT, I think for me what I want is the full Range Rover and a Sport, even a really high spec one which I could get, I'm always going to be wanting the big one just like when I had other Lexuses I always wanted the LS, and then I wanted the S Class...

I could just order a Range Rover spec'ed how I want and still buy out the S560 and just see what happens...

Thats good to hear, although it may be high quality it looks very dour IMO. I sat in a Defender today though and it makes total sense, even at $106k there was nothing luxurious about it inside at all.
The Range Rovers are very nice but I wish the fine details got more attention, certainly better than Mercedes SUVs IMO but not as good as their cars.
Old 02-01-24, 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The Range Rovers are very nice but I wish the fine details got more attention, certainly better than Mercedes SUVs IMO but not as good as their cars.
You need to check out the new ones. The new ones are way better than the old ones which I agree were a little rough around the edges in the interior. I couldn't find one interior material I didn't like in the base model Sport I drove with a sticker under $100k, whereas in my friend's high spec previous gen RRS there are plenty of those areas and there even were in the previous gen Range Rover.
Old 02-01-24, 04:57 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Color me surprised you liked the base RR Sport that much. I found it to have less personality than the last gen and felt the I6 was a bit lethargic around town.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-01-24 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Color me surprised you liked the base RR Sport that much. I found it to have less personality than the less gen and felt the I6 was a bit lethargic around town.
I'm just going on interior quality, comfort and ride. I would want the more powerful engine in the dynamic trim. I would have a hard time getting the Sport though when I really would want the big one.
Old 02-01-24, 05:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I really like the interior design and style. Inside and outside, an outstanding effort. Very much in line with all the heritage of past Japan made SUVs.

This new GX will be a mega hit
Old 02-01-24, 06:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Watching videos on the new GX right now, I think it looks great, and the reviews are really good.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-01-24 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 06:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm just going on interior quality, comfort and ride. I would want the more powerful engine in the dynamic trim. I would have a hard time getting the Sport though when I really would want the big one.
The full size RR is the one to get. I don’t actually think you’ll need to wait an entire year btw- my timeline just got moved up majorly.
Old 02-01-24, 06:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Watching videos on the new GX right now, I think it looks great, and the way reviews are really good.
You underestimate how awesome Toyota body on frame SUVs are, the ones from Japan…..I LOVE my two SUVs. The GX550, they got everything right. (I do admit I haven’t seen it). But looking at the design…the got everything right. I finally like Toyota digital screen gauges. How its recessed looks good (compared to Tundra)

the only thing that could put this over the top is if a solid axle was offered as an option and manual sliding rear quarter windows

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-01-24 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The full size RR is the one to get. I don’t actually think you’ll need to wait an entire year btw- my timeline just got moved up majorly.
How much did they move it up?

I gotta try and find one to drive.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You underestimate how awesome Toyota body on frame SUVs are, the ones from Japan…..I LOVE my two SUVs. The GX550, they got everything right. (I do admit I haven’t seen it). But looking at the design…the got everything right. I finally like Toyota digital screen gauges. How its recessed looks good (compared to Tundra)

the only thing that could put this over the top is if a solid axle was offered as an option and manual sliding rear quarter windows
I don’t underestimate them at all, I know how great they are. It really does look like they got everything right.
Old 02-01-24, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Watching videos on the new GX right now, I think it looks great, and the reviews are really good.
hopefully it does great, and is good for lexus but i can't agree it "looks great", i think it's hideous. (in, and out)

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1