Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 11:24 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder what is more ancien t...my 4.0L GR V6 or your 5.0 UR V8. Both date back to the GWB era
Well the UR has direct injection
Old 02-03-24, 11:27 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I don’t own a RR but I off road my LX and actually do “ridiculous things” with it lol. Knowing all that extra capability is there is a big part of the appeal, RR owners also get to enjoy that.

LX paint and leather/trim is very durable while still being very luxurious. Are RRs not?
They are very robust, very durable and are exceptionally capable while being absolutely premium. They make a good case for being the best individual all-round vehicle, assuming somewhat sensible price points.
Old 02-03-24, 11:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You'd be surprised how many Range Rover owners take theirs off road, including some reasonably challenging stuff. I took all of mine off-road, individually at our places in the lakes and mountains, and also at owner meets.
i wouldn't be surprised at all, lol, but obviously "off road" is a very broad definition too. 6" of water some small rocks, sand, grass on wide paths? sure. 3' of water, boulders, deep mud/sand spiky bushes and branches intruding into narrow paths? not so much. and not saying a fancy RR can't do the latter, i just don't see the appeal of doing so i guess, even though i'm sure some do it for 'fun' or to make a point.
Old 02-03-24, 11:32 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Here’s another weird thing about my wife, she is not an enthusiast but when we bought our second gen GX she never really loved it and after three years when we were ready to trade it she really wanted a Land Rover LR4 because she liked the off road boxy look and ruggedness right down to the plain analog looking clock. She won’t even walk in mud LOL.

I would bet she’s not the only one like that and while it is a total poser car for some like her, I’m sure there are many people that just want an off road looking truck because it’s cool. I’m the same way, I love the GX/Defender look and don’t mind the lack of luxury inside because that isn’t what the car is about. I personally think the interior is fine but at the same time agree that it wouldn’t hurt to have a trim level that is a little more luxurious.

Last edited by patgilm; 02-03-24 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-03-24, 11:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Here’s another weird thing about my wife,
probably not a sentence beginning she wants to hear you utter.

she is not an enthusiast but when we bought our second gen GX she never really loved it and after three years when we were ready to trade it she really wanted a Land River LR4 because she liked the off road boxy look and ruggedness right down to the plain analog looking clock. She won’t even walk in mud LOL.

I would bet she’s not the only one like that and while it is a total poser car for some like her. I’m sure there are many people that just want an off road looking truck because it’s cool.
besides cool, some get one to 'feel safe' from all kinds of imagined potential threats.
Old 02-03-24, 11:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wouldn't be surprised at all, lol, but obviously "off road" is a very broad definition too. 6" of water some small rocks, sand, grass on wide paths? sure. 3' of water, boulders, deep mud/sand spiky bushes and branches intruding into narrow paths? not so much. and not saying a fancy RR can't do the latter, i just don't see the appeal of doing so i guess, even though i'm sure some do it for 'fun' or to make a point.
Well that's the entire point, it can absolutely wade in three feet of water if that's something you need or have to do. One of the camera functions actually gives you estimated water depth. It's obviously up to each owner what they want to do with their own cars. That these things are so broadly capable means they get looked at it in a certain way, but if we don't criticize, say, a 911 Turbo driver for not going 0-60 in 2.4 seconds at every stoplight or hitting maximum speeds even though it can, then maybe we shouldn't assume RR owners need to exercise every capability in theirs? (NB this isn't aimed at you, it's a general observation about how we look at certain cars differently than others)
Old 02-03-24, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Well that's the entire point, it can absolutely wade in three feet of water if that's something you need or have to do. One of the camera functions actually gives you estimated water depth. It's obviously up to each owner what they want to do with their own cars. That these things are so broadly capable means they get looked at it in a certain way, but if we don't criticize, say, a 911 Turbo driver for not going 0-60 in 2.4 seconds at every stoplight or hitting maximum speeds even though it can, then maybe we shouldn't assume RR owners need to exercise every capability in theirs? (NB this isn't aimed at you, it's a general observation about how we look at certain cars differently than others)
Exactly………
Old 02-03-24, 12:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly, I wouldn’t pay $25k for the V8, the 6 in the RR feels great. $10k? Sure.
I priced a defender and a V8 for 100k is so laughably insane it's astounding they offer it. The rest of the car simply isn't 100k tier and yes I know it's only about 60k after inflation and all that but still.....

I wish they offered a diesel here since that would be my first choice in that vehicle in 3 door max off-road config so I have a do it all true SUV that I like a lot. At the current price they want however I would rather buy a used Bentaga since you get way more for your money
Old 02-03-24, 12:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I don’t own a RR but I off road my LX and actually do “ridiculous things” with it lol. Knowing all that extra capability is there is a big part of the appeal, RR owners also get to enjoy that.

LX paint and leather/trim is very durable while still being very luxurious. Are RRs not?
They are but the exterior is very very nice and not heavily armored in terms of bush/branch resistance so you need to PPF it if you want to push through
Old 02-03-24, 12:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

And it's really nice to know the car can do it, my old Jeep has fully used its ability and I generally try and properly match my cars to their "jobs" so I get to experience what they can do.

I would want a defender 90 since I would use it and not feel bad about doing so, a RR for me is overkill and I would constantly fuss over it and that is not an SUBs "job" in my mind. That's why I have a nice car(s) instead
Old 02-03-24, 01:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

If you can't joke with your spouse like that, the marriage won't ever last.

All we do is make fun of each other and make funny comparisons.

I'm compared to Roman Craig from The Great Outdoors with the big Mercedes and the tapping fingers on the wheel (I do that sometimes lol), for example. (My Lord that W126 is bossy...)

It's just funny stuff like that. Spouses need to make fun of each other lol.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-03-24 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-03-24, 02:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

LOL yeah now that I read it…

Originally Posted by Striker223
I priced a defender and a V8 for 100k is so laughably insane it's astounding they offer it. The rest of the car simply isn't 100k tier and yes I know it's only about 60k after inflation and all that but still.....

I wish they offered a diesel here since that would be my first choice in that vehicle in 3 door max off-road config so I have a do it all true SUV that I like a lot. At the current price they want however I would rather buy a used Bentaga since you get way more for your money
I was thinking for the price of a V8 RR for around the same price I could get a GLS63 AMG which would give me a decent amount of luxury and at the same time a good amount of sport/power. Maybe I look at those. Not as special as a RR but still a somewhat special car.
Old 02-03-24, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For me, I really have only one car. We have the van but my wife needs that for her daily use. She drives the kids around and the dog etc. So it’s about what is the best overall vehicle to meet a variety of needs, the Range Rober makes a great luxury vehicle and a great spacious go everywhere SUV
Old 02-03-24, 03:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For me, I really have only one car. We have the van but my wife needs that for her daily use. She drives the kids around and the dog etc. So it’s about what is the best overall vehicle to meet a variety of needs, the Range Rober makes a great luxury vehicle and a great spacious go everywhere SUV
Its the best one car solution IMO, anything else is worse off road, worse towing, worse speed, worse lux etc.....like as much as I like the Bentaga I know it will lose off road.
Old 02-03-24, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don’t get me wrong, that GLS580 is no slouch but it does give up interior finish to the S Class where the RR doesn’t.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1