Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 02:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I showed up to this accident shortly after it happened: Motorcyclist presumed dead after hitting car on I-90 bridge and falling into Lake Washington | The Seattle Times. The motorcyclist was driving insanely (he had passed me earlier) and clipped a car, sending him over the bridge into a lake. The lake is deep enough to the point where they couldn't find the driver over the motorcycle. Crazy way to die.
I came up on an accident once in the Philippines where a sport biker had been going insanely fast at night and ran into a trike carrying children. I stood there and watched him bleed out and die as he was attended to. I must say I had basically zero sympathy for him during this, knowing that he could have killed the children and they survived only by pure luck.

Since that night, I've always been very annoyed when I'm driving and a bike goes flying through my periphery way too fast.

Old 01-04-24, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
we're both in agreement that there are times when driving over the speed limit is acceptable and appropriate, we're just splitting hairs over how much over the limit is acceptable... do you have an absolute speed amount that should never be crossed no matter what?
The difference between driving 80-90 MPH with the general flow of traffic on a roadway with a 70-80 MPH speed limit and driving 130 MPH over twice the posted speed limit and at least 50% more than the 85th percentile speed of the roadway is not "splitting hairs". The absolute speed amount that should never be crossed on a US road is well below 130 MPH.

toasters in bathtubs and hand grenades at show and tell aside i don't think that's fair lol... we're talking about something we both agree is safe up to a point, after which it's no longer safe, and we just differ slightly where that point is
Again, we don't differ slightly....we aren't in the same universe.

Understanding the dangers myself, I don't think my analogies are at all unfair...
Old 01-04-24, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In other news, they're salting the roads in anticipation of the "maybe snow" coming this weekend. The season of constantly filthy cars is upon us
Old 01-04-24, 02:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In other news, they're salting the roads in anticipation of the "maybe snow" coming this weekend. The season of constantly filthy cars is upon us
Snow tire time
Old 01-04-24, 02:51 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Current temp in South Florida is currently 62f.

Not calling for any snow this weekend so no salt on the roads for me. 😂
Old 01-04-24, 02:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

That really does suck for colder areas. We were just in Rochester, so many cars had rust on them.... like a lot.

Down here you don't see it.
Old 01-04-24, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course I got my car washed yesterday too lol, haven't gotten the Pacifica washed since we got back from Albany, but whats the point?!
Old 01-04-24, 03:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Of course I got my car washed yesterday too lol, haven't gotten the Pacifica washed since we got back from Albany, but whats the point?!
I know you were being rhetorical, but I would answer that by saying it's good to get the undercarriage clean by running through a good car wash. Or wait, if it's leased who cares. LOL nevermind.

I wouldn't like the payments but I suppose it would be nice to have the newest and best every 3 years....
Old 01-04-24, 03:13 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Just spent about 2 weeks in New Zealand and Australia. Saw several models here that I've never seen before. Most interesting was the Toyota Alphard (van). Saw it picking up some folks at dinner and the door was open so I could see inside. Looked like a first class airplane cabin - 2nd row seats recline so much and have a footrest that it looked like you could lay down! Also, the Toyota HiLux pickup is extremely popular in both countries. Also saw a BYD dealer in Melbourne with a handful of cars parked out front which was pretty cool.
Old 01-04-24, 04:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

Filled up the 3rd gen Prius 🐢today. 1.3 gallons from empty. DTE 614 miles. I’ll probably never get rid of it!!
That is some stellar miles of range. 20 gas station visits per year to drive the average miles of 12,000. I think Toyota will get even better with range. What year is your Prius?

And absolutely things can change in 4 seconds. Bear in mind that at 100 MPH in 1 second you travel 150 feet. In 4 seconds accelerating from 60-130 you have travelled ~600 feet, or the length of two football fields, lots can happen. If you need to stop at 130 MPH it takes another football field in distance for that to happen. So if you accelerate from 60-130 in that 4.1 seconds and then stop, you will have travelled over 3 football fields of distance before coming to a stop. Nothing can happen?!? Thats insane to think that lol

130 MPH is nearly 200 feet per second.
braking distances increases when you speed. If your speed doubles, your
braking distance quadruples.

I am still trying to come to grips with the idea that fuel economy at 130mph is great than EPA ratings on the hwy.
Old 01-04-24, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
I know you were being rhetorical, but I would answer that by saying it's good to get the undercarriage clean by running through a good car wash. Or wait, if it's leased who cares. LOL nevermind.

I wouldn't like the payments but I suppose it would be nice to have the newest and best every 3 years....
It actually isn't salty, its just dirty from all the rain. No snow at all in Albany, which is really unusual..
Old 01-04-24, 04:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

@AJT123 Only 46K.

power steering leaks
gas tank pump leaks
abs issues

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-04-24 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-04-24, 04:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

What is road salt?
Old 01-04-24, 05:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://youtu.be/LZMfkGTaLjE?si=llil-4a8YUmOToBA

@AJT123 Only 46K.

power steering leaks
gas tank pump leaks
abs issues
Yep, I've seen that. The guy still likes R129s though haha.

It'll be a year this week since we've had the SL. Motor mounts and some creaking chassis brace they cleaned and remounted.

That's it. Solid, solid vehicle. Remember I have the last model year of the R129, they had most everything kinked out

The key is to drivvvvvve these cars. Knock on wood we use the top so much I'm really surprised it hasn't given us a problem, but it is on its second set of MB dealer hydraulics. Knock on wooooooood.

People park these for 6 months to years and then wonder why they don't start or the top doesn't work. It's mind-blowing. It's not an LS430.

My goal was 6k miles the first year, and I'm about at 5,985.

Last edited by AJT123; 01-04-24 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-04-24, 08:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

well i absolutely believe they can happen, hence why i have a strict criteria i follow and carefully pick my moments... the fact that i make my brakes last so long and get so many miles in between fill ups is evidence of that

this is a never ending back and forth since everyone has a different speed they consider "too fast", and eventually the only logical conclusion can be never take the car out of park since speed is dangerous... i take your words more seriously than most though since you actually have done a fair amount of fast driving in good cars, and know that 90 mph in a W222 is a far different matter than 90 mph in an original durango or something lol

btw here's me and the old man at pocono in the (then) 1 year old E63, so already i'm above average in experience and knowing how a car behaves at speed... i have nothing to show in terms of ability outside of gran turismo though so that'll have to remain conjecture haha

if there's a kid trying to cross a completely sectioned off interstate with full street lighting at 1am then they've got bigger problems than my bi-weekly 3rd gear pull lol... i can't react to a pothole at those speeds either, hence why i have "my spot" where i know the road is smooth with no other converging traffic... on the handful of cases i haven't stuck to that like if i'm trying to make a video there's literally been a spotter with a walkie talkie

but i'll make you a deal steve, get me a seat on the toyota gazoo racing team and i'll happily put a rain check on the bi-weekly 3rd gear pull until then it's I-495 westbound between exits 40 and 39 (conditions permitting)
Go to a truck forum, there’s a towing police department, on a car forum, there’s the speed police department. At the end of the day, people are going to continue to overload when they tow and drive as fast as they feel comfortable doing. Maybe even do both. They know the risks beforehand. The best thing you can do is get in the right lane and pray nothing happens.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is some stellar miles of range. 20 gas station visits per year to drive the average miles of 12,000. I think Toyota will get even better with range. What year is your Prius?

braking distances increases when you speed. If your speed doubles, your
braking distance quadruples.

I am still trying to come to grips with the idea that fuel economy at 130mph is great than EPA ratings on the hwy.
I

It’s a 2015 with 144k miles. The most miles I’ve gotten on a tank is 600 miles all in town. My goal on tank was to hit 600 miles. The last 20-30 miles, I had a couple gallons of gas in the car with me in case I ran out.

if you’re familiar with Prius, whenever the last bar on the fuel level starts flashing, I will reset trip B and I know I can drive 100 more miles (about 80 miles after DTE reads 0) before I need to start looking for fuel. I just went on road trip yesterday and I pumped 11.6 gallons in its 11.9 gallon tank. People preach about keeping the fuel pump cool with fuel, I put my fuel pump thru 🔥 and (knock on wood) only had to replace 1 due to a recall on a RX.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1