Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 08:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Could very well be, I just don't know who would make a blade that long
‘You can get an aftermarket blade for $25. 22” appears to be
Old 02-10-24, 09:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

yikes. Turbo dead. Water pump busted. Lots of plastic parts under the hood

Nwver knew the water pump,was run by a separate belt in back.
Old 02-10-24, 09:27 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Nothing like an unexpected $4k repair at 93k miles. Lol at the headliner. Wth was that?

Plastic water pump. What a horrible idea.
Old 02-10-24, 10:14 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m67F6CqfbfM

yikes. Turbo dead. Water pump busted. Lots of plastic parts under the hood

Nwver knew the water pump,was run by a separate belt in back.
It's an EA888, those are, have been, and always will be piles of trash vaguely shaped to look like an engine. The list of failures at very low miles on any generation of that garbage is truly impressive to the point I swear it was an exercise in just how cheaply you can make and engine to just barely last warranty.

I have every special tool for them. I always warn people to not buy them but they get seduced in by how they drive when they are working and the cheap power gains. It always ends the same way though lol!
Old 02-10-24, 12:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's an EA888, those are, have been, and always will be piles of trash vaguely shaped to look like an engine. The list of failures at very low miles on any generation of that garbage is truly impressive to the point I swear it was an exercise in just how cheaply you can make and engine to just barely last warranty.

I have every special tool for them. I always warn people to not buy them but they get seduced in by how they drive when they are working and the cheap power gains. It always ends the same way though lol!
I feel like the 4 cyl German cars get purchased by people solely looking for the badge.
Old 02-10-24, 01:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I gotta say, this is a stunning car IMO, I will have to go drive one again

Old 02-10-24, 01:58 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Yea give it a shot before you make a decision on the lease. I've done a total 180 on the LS 500. I dismissed it back in 2018 but I think it looks great now.

This white interior with that awesome looking trim looks amazing.

Old 02-10-24, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ve always liked the looks, it’s the space inside and the drive that were an issue for me.
Old 02-10-24, 02:36 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That white interior is a bit much for me. I prefer tan or gray. My problem with the LS 500 is the greenhouse profile. It looks too much like a Buick Lacrosse or a Sonata. Those vapor chrome wheels gotta go too. Is be swapping them out for the f sport wheels….
Old 02-10-24, 03:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Except that wiper blade is REALLY expensive lol
$18. I could use a new one so I ordered this:

This isn’t that actual R129 wiper but the MB one like I’m presumably getting has an emblem on it.

You can see the emblem while driving, slick. I first noticed it in one of Bill’s videos (curious cars). If I don’t have a star on the hood to look at this is the next best thing.
Old 02-10-24, 09:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://youtu.be/M2uCoMtpWLs?si=WRcHV1_TUMhNWsjx
That video was taken at Performance Lexus. On the way to Niagara Falls. It’s a split Toyota/Lexus dealer in the same facility. You can go back and forth between the Lexus and Toyota cars and there is no door or partition. Just a small walkway. The cool thing about this dealer is that they always have every Lexus on the lot. So many cars

Originally Posted by LH1
Nothing like an unexpected $4k repair at 93k miles. Lol at the headliner. Wth was that?
Planned obsolescence.

Originally Posted by LH1
Plastic water pump. What a horrible idea.
I wonder if Toyota has any plastic water pumps

Originally Posted by Striker223
!
I looked up this motor. Dates back to 2008 it appears. Yikes, old like Toyota sometimes

Originally Posted by LH1
Yea give it a shot before you make a decision on the lease. I've done a total 180 on the LS 500. I dismissed it back in 2018 but I think it looks great now.

This white interior with that awesome looking trim looks amazing.

I like that interior

I’ve always liked the looks, it’s the space inside and the drive that were an issue for me.
the LS in its 6th MY year. It is very old. I don’t even think the infotainment OS is the new system like in the GX. The dash is kinda cheap and the centre gauges along with the dials is behind the times. I do admire the use of a Torsen centre differential in their awd and even more surprisingly in the hybrid. I like the smaller size, but it’s not really big enough for America. It really needs a V8 just like the LX needs a V8. The remote touch was a big turn off. Now they removed the CD player

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-10-24 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-10-24, 10:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

https://youtu.be/M2uCoMtpWLs?si=WRcHV1_TUMhNWsjx
i gotta say that was a really good quality informative video for a dealer.

as you know, i've come to like the LS (quite a while ago), although i've not driven one yet. i've spent quite a bit of time pouring over them. i know it's not huge inside, but it's not small either, and it is exceptionally comfortable imo.

the LS in its 6th MY year. It is very old.
6 years is not 'very old' and lexus has quietly made decent upgrades each year. looks like '24 is no exception.

I don’t even think the infotainment OS is the new system like in the GX.
not sure, but it did go to the bigger touch screen. besides if someone uses carplay for example, it's pretty irrelevant.

The dash is kinda cheap
i 100% disagree. i think it's very high quality, unique, and beautiful.

and the centre gauges along with the dials is behind the times.
what are you referring to by 'centre gauges' - you mean the buttons for climate control?

It really needs a V8 just like the LX needs a V8.
you're behind the times. the competition sells way more ttv6 than ttv8 and 'just' a v8 is a thing of the past, which is why i got the lc because i knew it was going away in everything.

The remote touch was a big turn off. Now they removed the CD player
there is no remote touch now or are you referring to the past? and cd players are irrelevant.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-11-24 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-10-24, 11:44 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

I wonder if Toyota has any plastic water pumps.
I hope not!

Plastic water pumps, not a good idea for any car. IMO
Old 02-11-24, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That video was taken at Performance Lexus. On the way to Niagara Falls. It’s a split Toyota/Lexus dealer in the same facility. You can go back and forth between the Lexus and Toyota cars and there is no door or partition. Just a small walkway. The cool thing about this dealer is that they always have every Lexus on the lot. So many cars
Cool!

I wonder if Toyota has any plastic water pumps
They do.

the LS in its 6th MY year. It is very old. I don’t even think the infotainment OS is the new system like in the GX. The dash is kinda cheap and the centre gauges along with the dials is behind the times. I do admire the use of a Torsen centre differential in their awd and even more surprisingly in the hybrid. I like the smaller size, but it’s not really big enough for America. It really needs a V8 just like the LX needs a V8. The remote touch was a big turn off. Now they removed the CD player
It being old doesn't bother me. They actually have made a lot of improvements this year or last year, the gauges are 100% screen now, and the build of the interiors of the LS500s I have seen felt really good. Issue is the car is not smaller, just the interior. Its the same length as my S Class just dramatically tighter inside. Its the rear-mid engined layout. No more remote touch and I don't own any CDs.

Agreed on the V8.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i gotta say that was a really good quality informative video for a dealer.
It was I agree!

not sure, but it did go to the bigger touch screen. besides if someone uses carplay for example, it's pretty irrelevant.
It does have the latest infotainment and the latest drive functions, lane centering and traffic jam assist, auto-parking etc. Like you said they have surprisingly kept it fresh. I was really impressed with the new wireless charger slot.

you're behind the times. the competition sells way more ttv6 than ttv8 and 'just' a v8 is a thing of the past, which is why i got the lc because i knew it was going away in everything.
This is actually not true at all. In the flagship sedan world the V8 still is the sales leader, they sell 3 times as many S580s as S500s for instance, same is true of the 7 Series, the 760 is the volume leader then the i7 then the 740. The LS not having a TTV8 is a big issue in this segment, and its a huge detractor for me. Even if I really loved the LS, I would have a hard time buying it because of the V6. I would only consider a 6 cyl S Class or 7 Series if it were a PHEV. The lack of a V8 in the A8 for instance rules it out for me.

In every other segment you are right, they sell very few GLS580s for example, or V8 X7s, but for whatever reason in the flagship sedan segment the V8 still is the leader.
Old 02-11-24, 07:52 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I just saw a new blacked out LX600 F-Sport with dark wheels and it looked awesome. My X7 lease is up in May so I may check it out. Don’t love the packaging and space in it but the exterior looked great with the black spindle grille.

I also watched some GX550 videos and there isn’t anything I don’t like about it, especially the overtrail edition. I’ll have to show my wife to get her thoughts since she used to really like the boxy LR4 rugged look. I did try and get her to consider the Raptor R and it was a big F no.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1