Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I just saw a new blacked out LX600 F-Sport with dark wheels and it looked awesome. My X7 lease is up in May so I may check it out. Don’t love the packaging and space in it but the exterior looked great with the black spindle grille.

I also watched some GX550 videos and there isn’t anything I don’t like about it, especially the overtrail edition. I’ll have to show my wife to get her thoughts since she used to really like the boxy LR4 rugged look. I did try and get her to consider the Raptor R and it was a big F no.
Coming from an X7 going to an LX would be hard.
Old 02-11-24, 09:48 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

you're behind the times. the competition sells way more ttv6 than ttv8 and 'just' a v8 is a thing of the past, which is why i got the lc because i knew it was going away in everything.

I recently bought another V8 because of issues with the new V6 TT.
Old 02-11-24, 09:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

I recently bought another V8 because of issues with the new V6 TT.
What is the point of posting these images?
Old 02-11-24, 10:00 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
To remind people that Toyota had EVERY chance to make the new 3.5TT engine a hot-V yet they still decided to ignore 10 years worth of examples of how you should do a turbo car and low mounted them anyway. Low mount setups are a massive annoyance to service as shown in the pictures
Old 02-11-24, 10:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

It shows what has to be done to address the turbo issues on the current gen Tundra. Toyota is having a hell of a time with it and they placed their turbos in such a way that you have to remove the cab to change them.
Old 02-11-24, 10:06 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
To remind people that Toyota had EVERY chance to make the new 3.5TT engine a hot-V yet they still decided to ignore 10 years worth of examples of how you should do a turbo car and low mounted them anyway. Low mount setups are a massive annoyance to service as shown in the pictures
I know on the F-150 you can swap the turbos by going through the fender well rather than removing the cab. Could a shadetree mechanic do this on the Tundra as well?

I agree a turbocharged V engine should be a hot-v. Even more ideally, Ford and Toyota should have gone inline-6 for these engines. Unfortunately Ford shared the 3.5 and 2.7 with FWD platforms for a while, so it had to be a V6. They did have an I6 Ccoboost planned but COVID killed it off.
Old 02-11-24, 10:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,206 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I know on the F-150 you can swap the turbos by going through the fender well rather than removing the cab. Could a shadetree mechanic do this on the Tundra as well?

I agree a turbocharged V engine should be a hot-v. Even more ideally, Ford and Toyota should have gone inline-6 for these engines. Unfortunately Ford shared the 3.5 and 2.7 with FWD platforms for a while, so it had to be a V6. They did have an I6 Ccoboost planned but COVID killed it off.
Not sure but on the fords it's faster to just lift the cab, agree it should have been a straight 6. I'm surprised Toyota didn't just use a B58 since they have it in the Supra already.....

The I-6 is also just flat out better than any V6 geometrically speaking. That, the V8, and V12 are the most stable/strong designs
Old 02-11-24, 10:22 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 970 Likes on 774 Posts

Machine serviceability is part of the design

That's why I think it's a bad design aka FAIL ...

... if a sub frame has to be dropped or a cab pull(good golly) to service a part.

NOT cool.
Bad, bad, bad... Lol
Old 02-11-24, 10:25 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

you're behind the times. the competition sells way more ttv6 than ttv8 and 'just' a v8 is a thing of the past,

If these images are a thing of the present and future, I like a lot others prefer to have a good ole thing of the past V8…at least until they iron out the issues. The pic of the white Tundra was taken yesterday. The head Toyota tech specifically told me to stay away from the V6 TT for now.
Old 02-11-24, 10:28 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Striker223
Not sure but on the fords it's faster to just lift the cab, agree it should have been a straight 6. I'm surprised Toyota didn't just use a B58 since they have it in the Supra already.....

The I-6 is also just flat out better than any V6 geometrically speaking.
The B58 is a very impressive engine. Good job BMW!!
Old 02-11-24, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It shows what has to be done to address the turbo issues on the current gen Tundra. Toyota is having a hell of a time with it and they placed their turbos in such a way that you have to remove the cab to change them.

Same thing has to be done for F150.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Machine serviceability is part of the design

That's why I think it's a bad design aka FAIL ...

... if a sub frame has to be dropped or a cab pull(good golly) to service a part.

NOT cool.
Bad, bad, bad... Lol
I agree. It likely is faster to lift the body. Just not having a turbo means no possible failure, that I agree with.

If these images are a thing of the present and future, I like a lot others prefer to have a good ole thing of the past V8…at least until they iron out the issues. The pic of the white Tundra was taken yesterday. The head Toyota tech specifically told me to stay away from the V6 TT for now.
ok cool. The 3UR 5.7 had snapping crankshafts back in 2007 for the Tundra, these were the very early models and there was a recall. Some early issues is what I think the problem is for the 3.5tt, I am sure it will get resolved just the like the early 5.7 problems.

here is a 5.7 Tundra having engine repairs

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-24 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-11-24, 10:57 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

https://youtu.be/vDg1szftvBA?si=B37sJ49Y3VmMUiYz

Same thing has to be done for F150.
They can be removed through the fender wells. People swap these at home without a cab lift. The dealership mechanics have cab lifts down to an art, so they do it for their own convenience.

Old 02-11-24, 10:58 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

ok cool. The 3UR 5.7 had snapping crankshafts back in 2007 for the Tundra, these were the very early models and there was a recall. Some early issues is what I think the problem is for the 3.5tt, I am sure it will get resolved just the like the early 5.7 problems.

here is a 5.7 Tundra having engine repairs

I just sold my 229,299 mile ‘08 5.7 couple days ago.

2 batteries
1 u joint ($20 part)
Replaced starter with $128 TYC starter from amazon
3 sets of brakes
1 front turn signal bulb

That’s all I ever done to it. I changed oil myself. Never changed trans, diff fluid. Added coolant once 2yrs ago. Towed with it regularly. Trust me I wanted the new hybrid max power plant but I couldn’t bring myself to take that risk. Not yet at least.
Old 02-11-24, 11:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They can be removed through the fender wells. People swap these at home without a cab lift. The dealership mechanics have cab lifts down to an art, so they do it for their own convenience.
here is a turbo replacement on a F250

I just sold my 229,299 mile ‘08 5.7 couple days ago.

2 batteries
1 u joint ($20 part)
Replaced starter with $128 TYC starter from amazon
3 sets of brakes
1 front turn signal bulb

That’s all I ever done to it. I changed oil myself. Never changed trans, diff fluid. Added coolant once 2yrs ago. Towed with it regularly. Trust me I wanted the new hybrid max power plant but I couldn’t bring myself to take that risk. Not yet at least.
I don’t disagree. Toyota makes a great engine in the 5.7. I was just showing some pics of the Ford and last Gen Tundra for reference that some of their repairs need the body lifted.

I wouldn’t want the hybrid either. And no interest in the turbos

you never replaced the brake fluid? Or the steering fluid? 0r the spark plugs?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-24 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-11-24, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

It’s a dumb design. But, lifting the cab on a truck is not that much labor as long as you have the hoist etc. It looks bad, but they do it because it’s actually easier.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1