Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 07:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If you have a major repair that could very well have to be done during the normal life of the vehicle, and that repair is sufficiently a PITA, that absolutely can drive buyers away.
‘Just look at the cost of the Tundra turbos. (Not US $$). Cheap labour to replace these turbos out of warranty is not make a diff And ease of repair is not the same thing as reliability.

I simply dislike the idea of a turbo for the simple reason of the potential repair cost. The ease of that repair is irrelevant to me, it’s the parts.

I know plenty of people, myself included, who will not buy vehicles that use a timing belt because we don't want an expensive regular maintenance item that requires you to tear down the front of your engine. If people are looking at a car and realize that the cab has to come off to service/replace a part that could very well go out during their ownership, they'll be discouraged from buying.
In 2024 MY cars…Who has a new car with a belt? VW…who else?

a belt doesn’t bother me, an interference engine is always in the back of my mind for my 2UZ. But chains do break and malfunction too. But I would prefer a chain over a belt every time
Unfortunately I don't know of anybody using a hot V in the half-ton segment. Ford uses a hot-v setup for their 6.7 powerstroke in the HD pickups. GM's Duramax does not use this configuration IIRC. RAM's 6.7 cummins is an inline-6 so that's not relevant there.
​​​​​
Toyota has a hot V as well. In their new 300 Land Cruiser 3.3 V6 Diesel. In Lexus LX too

look for the 2025 RAM 1500 on their website. They do list the Hurricane 3.0 engine. It's their new inline-6 that is going to be in the '25 trucks. '24 MY trucks still have the 5.7 Hemi.
i c. I was looking at 2024 models. Had no idea the 2025s were out

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-24 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 08:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

the 25's aren't out on the market yet, but they are announced. Unless Ford or GM join them, they'll be the only players with an I6 gas engine in the US half-ton market at that time. Ford cancelled their I6 and will probably just focus on their V6 Ecoboosts while eventually downsizing those and moving to electrification. I don't think GM has indicated any plans for downsizing in the half-tons.

Old 02-11-24, 08:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

the 25's aren't out on the market yet, but they are announced. Unless Ford or GM join them, they'll be the only players with an I6 gas engine in the US half-ton market at that time. Ford cancelled their I6 and will probably just focus on their V6 Ecoboosts while eventually downsizing those and moving to electrification. I don't think GM has indicated any plans for downsizing in the half-tons.
GM is gonna wisely keep making V8s as we know, new small block in the works.

I have faith that they're not going to sandwich any hybrid crap into the next gen V8 on the way, I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.

My buddy is a Ram freak, has this insane brand new Ram, he got one with the Hemi bc he wanted the V8, but it's got that horrendous e-torque crap that doesn't work. He hates it so much he might trade it on a GM. I tried to tell him beforehand. The last good Ram was ICE only.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-11-24 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 08:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Anybody who has ever worked on a Toyota product can tell you they really do suck at packaging for serviceability. It even dates back to the 1UZ era. I absolutely hated working on my 1UZ(and I was under the hood a lot
They really do. That’s a big difference between Lexus and the Germans, the German cars are actually easier to work on. Parts cost more, but when you get into more complex new Toyotas where that reliability delta isn’t going to be so great it’s something to think of.

For instance if you asked me if I wanted to put 250,000 miles on the M176 engine in my S560 or the Toyota 3.4TT? I would actually choose the Mercedes for long term ownership cost.

Good example of this is air suspension. My W222 vs an LS460, air suspension is considerably cheaper to deal with on the Mercedes because they are engineered to be repaired and rebuilt where the units on the Lexus are just disposable.
Old 02-11-24, 09:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The LS500 has had that V6 engine the longest, and I'm personally not aware of the reliability or lack thereof because the car sucks so bad I don't care about it, even as an LS owner. Sad.

Reliability in that car might be a good indicator if this engine is junk or not.
Old 02-11-24, 09:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Heh, the air suspension on my LS400 had been removed and replaced with traditional struts when it came into my possession. A tale as old as time.

Toyota built a reputation for reliability in the 90's and 2000's and they're starting to coast and people are going to realize more and more that their stuff is not fun at all to work on and it'll need more working on. All of my friends with 3rd gen Tacomas have spent a lot more time in the shop than my F-150(which has only gone in for one non-maintenance repair).

Old 02-11-24, 09:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
The LS500 has had that V6 engine the longest, and I'm personally not aware of the reliability or lack thereof because the car sucks so bad I don't care about it, even as an LS owner. Sad.

Reliability in that car might be a good indicator if this engine is junk or not.
My bet is it won't be junk, but it's certainly going to be less reliable than the engines it has replaced. Not because it's smaller and using forced induction, but because it's a level of complexity that Toyota isn't as experienced with combined with what seems to be a loosened approach to quality control.

Old 02-11-24, 09:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota built a reputation for reliability in the 90's and 2000's and they're starting to coast and people are going to realize more and more that their stuff is not fun at all to work on and it'll need more working on. All of my friends with 3rd gen Tacomas have spent a lot more time in the shop than my F-150(which has only gone in for one non-maintenance repair).
not the experience I have had. And not the word of mouth I hear. American cars are just awful when it comes to reliability. That is the word of mouth I get. Hyundai is even worse. And my brother is getting to learn what out of warranty BMW ownership is like as his 3 series diesel is a nightmare with the small things breaking (not the engine). I have had American cars in my younger days, I will never make that mistake ever again

My bet is it won't be junk, but it's certainly going to be less reliable than the engines it has replaced. Not because it's smaller and using forced induction, but because it's a level of complexity that Toyota isn't as experienced with combined with what seems to be a loosened approach to quality control.
Give me an example where it’s a level complexity that Toyota can’t match?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-24 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-11-24, 09:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

We got the most snow in 30 years here about a month ago, I just absolutely annihilated everything with the LX.

I drove through so much crap and pounded it so hard I got crap up in the belt---an idler was squeaking mildly one morning. I figured it would just go away on its own after some driving, and driving through rain and it has lol.

Now let's say this were the new tt one with 6 figure mileage making a noise? Whew, I'd be nervous. Nothing the 5.7, short of me hearing a rod knocking, would raise my eyebrow.

If Ford is smart they'll never discontinue the Coyote.
Old 02-11-24, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a description from a mechanic online describing their turbo intercooler setup on that engine:

Congratulations to Lexus for making a complicated setup that make early/mid 2000’s Audis look less like a nightmare.
[size=33px]Air [/size][size=33px]filters at the front of the engine bay on both sides that go down under the engine to the turbos then goes to two air to water intercoolers then forward to two throttle bodies at the front of the engine then down into the intake manifold. Who wants to work on it first?
[/size]
Old 02-11-24, 09:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is a description from a mechanic online describing their turbo intercooler setup on that engine:
Apparently that engine is one of the most advanced engines ever made. Anyways, it’s not something I’d worry about. Yeah, the idea of a turbo or both failing sucks, but I’d expect this engine to far outlast a German or American engine. And be far more reliable too
Old 02-11-24, 09:28 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

We got the most snow in 30 years here about a month ago, I just absolutely annihilated everything with the LX.

I drove through so much crap and pounded it so hard I got crap up in the belt---an idler was squeaking mildly one morning. I figured it would just go away on its own after some driving, and driving through rain and it has lol.

Now let's say this were the new tt one with 6 figure mileage making a noise? Whew, I'd be nervous. Nothing the 5.7, short of me hearing a rod knocking, would raise my eyebrow.

If Ford is smart they'll never discontinue the Coyote.
My bet with Ford is that the F-150 will have the Coyote for as long as the Mustang makes sense to sell.

I believe less than 25% of F-150's sold are V8's. They make the engine for the mustang and probably gain a little bit of economies of sale by producing enough of them to sell some F-150's to guys who won't buy a V6. But if the Mustang were to be discontinued or go electric, I think the Coyote would be discontinued entirely.

I love my Coyote. I'll keep this truck until it dies, hopefully.
Old 02-11-24, 09:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Apparently that engine is one of the most advanced engines ever made. Anyways, it’s not something I’d worry about. Yeah, the idea of a turbo or both failing sucks, but I’d expect this engine to far outlast a German or American engine. And be far more reliable too
I completely disagree. I would rather have something well engineered and that setup is just not well engineered. This is one area where the Germans have Toyota bested, they just have a ton of experience designing these kinds of engines and it shows in their execution.

It may not be an issue, but if it is that’s a 5 figure repair. Turbos after 100k miles are not at all an unusual replacement…and the turbo in my car will cost less than half what it will cost in that car.

One of the most advanced engines ever made? Says who?
Old 02-11-24, 09:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It's been forever since I've been to Lexus, the SA I know would tell me.
Old 02-11-24, 09:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I completely disagree. I would rather have something well engineered and that setup is just not well engineered. This is one area where the Germans have Toyota bested, they just have a ton of experience designing these kinds of engines and it shows in their execution.

It may not be an issue, but if it is that’s a 5 figure repair. Turbos after 100k miles are not at all an unusual replacement…and the turbo in my car will cost less than half what it will cost in that car.
How is it not as well engineered?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1