Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 09:33 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 02-13-24, 10:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Then ya didn’t drive them hard enough

Every engine consumes oil. Most would never know as it uses so little it would be extremely difficult to detect. Drive your Mercedes very very hard at the peak of its limits, you’ll see more oil use. Or any car for that matter …
I don't know how much harder you can drive than multiple (three) track days in a year at Road Atlanta. The AMG GT in question never asked for more oil in between its yearly changes. Same for the Porsche 911 that replaced it except during break in. Sure, some oil had to have been consumed but not enough to need to be topped up.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-13-24 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-13-24, 10:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Every engine consumes oil. Most would never know as it uses so little it would be extremely difficult to detect. Drive your Mercedes very very hard at the peak of its limits, you’ll see more oil use. Or any car for that matter …
It doesn't consume enough oil to notice, then to me it doesn't consume any oil. Oil consumption isn't a common thing I see posted about in the MB forums I read...
Old 02-13-24, 10:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

I have said that before. All engines use some oil. Most German cars are tuned for performance, so oil consumption with be more significant.
It's way more a "specific engine" thing than it is a "German" thing. For the purposes of this post (and really, life in general ), "consuming oil" means consuming enough that its absence is noticed, either by volume during the normal oil change, or by having to add oil in between changes.

The M57 3.0L TT I6 Diesel in my 335d is not known for consuming oil (other than from the fuel tank, of course! ). Mine is stage 1 tuned (29-30psi of boost) and in fact does not after >120k miles, even with a ~13k OCI.

By contrast, the CREC 3.0L supercharged V6 in my wife's Q7 is known for consuming oil. Ours is stock (12psi of boost), and consumes a quart about every 1800 miles if memory serves (I have records, but they're in the car). Enough that I could almost get away with never changing the oil, and just doing the filter every 10k.

The S58 in my M3 is not known for consuming oil. I therefore don't anticipate that mine will, either at stock boost pressure (18.9psi for my base, 24.7psi for Competition models), or the stage 1 (28-29psi?) I will eventually go to. But of course, it's far too early to know for sure.

Last edited by geko29; 02-13-24 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-13-24, 10:27 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

my benz will typically go through like 0.75 - 1 quart per 5000 miles, usually around the 3500 mile mark on the fresh oil it'll pop up this message (but in quarts lol)

i also don't fill it to the brim at changes, full capacity is 9 quarts but i'll put in like 8.5 just to be safe since it's better to be slightly underfilled than overfilled... i'll add another half quart when the message pops up and i'm good for the next 2000 miles until i do a change

but it's also forced induction so by design those engines will go through slightly more oil anyway
Old 02-13-24, 10:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Then ya didn’t drive them hard enough

Harder driving actually massively helps if you can do it early (as in when new) because it allows proper set at the rings etc.

Turbo cars when driven hard do indeed use more but again that's because they are literally intentional oil leaks by design.
Old 02-13-24, 10:41 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
*screams in flashbacks of 4.7*

Uh yeah....awesomeness.....certainly that and not gun in mouth cataclysmic failures and difficulty of repair. Total compression loss, liner failure, turbo failure, chain failure, crank sprocket random failure of teeth, coolant leaks....

Just get the newer 4.0 or the BMW option if you want less issues, yes I'm recommending the 4.4 over it. At least that one can be worked on relatively easily. If you want the least issues and best access get an Audi 4.0
well ya know there's always a few 'teething issues' when a new product launches lol

i will say that my dad's car *knock on wood* has been very solid mechanically and it's a 2015 E63 with the 5.5 version of that engine, he picked it up new and apart from the occasional noises that seem to come and go it's been a great engine... deep resonating bass sounds come out of that factory exhaust and with 5.5 liters there's either a lot of torque available or A LOT of torque available with full boost at <2500 rpm

the 7 speed MCT also has like the quickest, smoothest upshifts for any non-DCT trans i've used... also does these lovely blipped double declutch downshifts, that trans feels like a 20 year leap forward from my torque converter 5 speed haha
Old 02-13-24, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It doesn't consume enough oil to notice, then to me it doesn't consume any oil. Oil consumption isn't a common thing I see posted about in the MB forums I read...
I doubt your car will even tell you add oil if you had consumed .9 of a litre. Likely have to use even more.

Originally Posted by geko29
It's way more a "specific engine" thing than it is a "German" thing. For the purposes of this post (and really, life in general ), "consuming oil" means consuming enough that its absence is noticed, either by volume during the normal oil change, or by having to add oil in between changes.

The M57 3.0L TT I6 Diesel in my 335d is not known for consuming oil (other than from the fuel tank, of course! ). Mine is stage 1 tuned (29-30psi of boost) and in fact does not after >120k miles, even with a ~13k OCI.

By contrast, the CREC 3.0L supercharged V6 in my wife's Q7 is known for consuming oil. Ours is stock (12psi of boost), and consumes a quart about every 1800 miles if memory serves (I have records, but they're in the car). Enough that I could almost get away with never changing the oil, and just doing the filter every 10k.

The S58 in my M3 is not known for consuming oil. I therefore don't anticipate that mine will, either at stock boost pressure (18.9psi for my base, 24.7psi for Competition models), or the stage 1 (28-29psi?) I will eventually go to. But of course, it's far too early to know for sure.
I had used German cars because for the most part, the German branded cars are usually designed and promoted for spirited type driving..or performance styling of driving. . in contrast, a CT hybrid or UX hybrid or a Lexus ES aren't really tuned for performance, and the demographic likely are much more of a relaxed type of driver...

Turbo cars when driven hard do indeed use more but again that's because they are literally intentional oil leaks by design.
That would be correct. What would your definition be of driving hard?

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't know how much harder you can drive than multiple (three) track days in a year at Road Atlanta. The AMG GT in question never asked for more oil in between its yearly changes. Same for the Porsche 911 that replaced it except during break in. Sure, some oil had to have been consumed but not enough to need to be topped up.
I was just kidding around with the not driving it hard enough comment I made.
Old 02-13-24, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt your car will even tell you add oil if you had consumed .9 of a litre. Likely have to use even more.
I can tell by checking the oil level
Old 02-13-24, 11:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I can tell by checking the oil level
And what does it say when you check the oil?
Old 02-13-24, 11:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well ya know there's always a few 'teething issues' when a new product launches lol

i will say that my dad's car *knock on wood* has been very solid mechanically and it's a 2015 E63 with the 5.5 version of that engine, he picked it up new and apart from the occasional noises that seem to come and go it's been a great engine... deep resonating bass sounds come out of that factory exhaust and with 5.5 liters there's either a lot of torque available or A LOT of torque available with full boost at <2500 rpm

the 7 speed MCT also has like the quickest, smoothest upshifts for any non-DCT trans i've used... also does these lovely blipped double declutch downshifts, that trans feels like a 20 year leap forward from my torque converter 5 speed haha
That version from what I've seen is much better, I almost bought an S63 but the test drive didn't inspire confidence in the trans for me. I didn't like how it limits power on a spooled launch stock and I was intending from the outset to turbo swap and tune whatever I bought.

I ended up with the 4.0 Audi
Old 02-13-24, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And what does it say when you check the oil?
That its at the same level as when the oil was last changed.
Old 02-13-24, 11:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That its at the same level as when the oil was last changed.
Does is say exactly how many litres you have?
Old 02-13-24, 11:22 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

That version from what I've seen is much better, I almost bought an S63 but the test drive didn't inspire confidence in the trans for me. I didn't like how it limits power on a spooled launch stock and I was intending from the outset to turbo swap and tune whatever I bought.
yes! lots of electronic torque limiting in 1st and even a little in 2nd gear, but by 3rd though that car is seriously hauling ***

i've read that an ECU + TCU tune helps but even still it won't really "launch"... now my friend's 2020 golf R, that thing launches!
Old 02-13-24, 11:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Does is say exactly how many litres you have?
No, nor does it matter. I know that it does register a quart when a quart is added, so if it were down a quart or a half quart it would register. Nobody is saying that some oil is not used, just not enough oil for you to notice or to need to add oil.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1