Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 11:26 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I doubt your car will even tell you add oil if you had consumed .9 of a litre. Likely have to use even more.

I had used German cars because for the most part, the German branded cars are usually designed and promoted for spirited type driving..or performance styling of driving. . in contrast, a CT hybrid or UX hybrid or a Lexus ES aren't really tuned for performance, and the demographic likely are much more of a relaxed type of driver...

That would be correct. What would your definition be of driving hard?

I was just kidding around with the not driving it hard enough comment I made.
Mine not only will tell me less than that but it also knows when I'm on a longer trip so it waits longer unless I start getting aggressive and it then tells me to add more. Early warn is .4 L if you are driving really hard

I consider hard driving to be nearing tire grip on turns whenever possible and launching at least every other light/stop sign, 100+ whenever possible and maybe a V-max run mixed in somewhere. Track use is also very hard driving and will kill tires since unlike backroads you don't ever need to lift/back off. Oil also gets hot if you don't have coolers for it and you will kill an engine if you don't have correct weight even if temps are "okay"
Old 02-13-24, 11:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Does is say exactly how many litres you have?
I know you're asking about MB, but Audi does for sure. This is what the display looks like:

The gauge only shows the "last liter/quart". In our 3.0T's case, that means "Min" is 6.2qt, and "Max" is 7.2qt. Last I checked mine, it was just below half, which means it's lost just over half a quart since I last added one, and is currently at approximately 6.6 qt.
Old 02-13-24, 11:30 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yes! lots of electronic torque limiting in 1st and even a little in 2nd gear, but by 3rd though that car is seriously hauling ***

i've read that an ECU + TCU tune helps but even still it won't really "launch"... now my friend's 2020 golf R, that thing launches!
Yeah and that bothered the hell out of me lol! I also don't really like the fact it uses a "special" trans like that for parts reasons vs a ZF8....I also figured if there is limiting it's probably because it can't take it.

The Audi will launch so hard that you can burn all 4 in 2nd gear back when it had old summer tires in the cold lol! That trans just gives it all, with the TCU tune it becomes outright violent
Old 02-13-24, 11:38 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, nor does it matter. I know that it does register a quart when a quart is added, so if it were down a quart or a half quart it would register. Nobody is saying that some oil is not used, just not enough oil for you to notice or to need to add oil.
i bet it does, but it just takes some knowhow to find it

my E-class also "doesn't" but if you press the trip/reset stalk 3 times with the key in position 1 before starting the car it brings up the service menu:

this also lets you activate other hidden features like "dyno mode" where you can actually fully disable the ESP and ABS
Old 02-13-24, 12:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Mine not only will tell me less than that but it also knows when I'm on a longer trip so it waits longer unless I start getting aggressive and it then tells me to add more. Early warn is .4 L if you are driving really hard
You have so many cars. lol. What model are you referring to.

Originally Posted by geko29
I know you're asking about MB, but Audi does for sure. This is what the display looks like:

The gauge only shows the "last liter/quart". In our 3.0T's case, that means "Min" is 6.2qt, and "Max" is 7.2qt. Last I checked mine, it was just below half, which means it's lost just over half a quart since I last added one, and is currently at approximately 6.6 qt.
That is cool that it shows you this, I wish Toyota would move to this style of system, What Audi and engine is this?

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, nor does it matter. l.
I think it does matter. I wonder what the threshold is for the system to set a measurement, I bet it is more than 1 litre out when the system measures low or missing oil.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-13-24 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-13-24, 12:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You have so many cars. lol. What model are you referring to.

That is cool that it shows you this, I wish Toyota would move to this style of system, What Audi and engine is this?
All of my Germans show that info, so does my dads rover.

That's a 3.0 Audi, they had displays like that back in 2007ish timeline. Very common thing for German cars that Lexus never really got on board with
Old 02-13-24, 12:31 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

This is the CREC, 3.0L Supercharged V6. But the display is the same on all Audis, just the definitions of Min and Max change depending on the sump capacity.

This can be done on any car with an oil level sensor (which usually, but not always, means it doesn't have a dipstick). Here's what it looks like on my 335d (M57 3.0L TT I6 Diesel), which I haven't looked at in years since it doesn't consume oil:

and here's what it looks like on my M3 (S58 3.0L TT I6):

This is what Steve's S560 should look like:

Last edited by geko29; 02-13-24 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-13-24, 12:35 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

is there no way to show the car from the rear 3/4 view? lol
Old 02-13-24, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This is the CREC, 3.0L Supercharged V6. But the display is the same on all Audis, just the definitions of Min and Max change depending on the sump capacity.

This can be done on any car with an oil level sensor (which usually, but not always, means it doesn't have a dipstick). Here's what it looks like on my 335d (M57 3.0L TT I6 Diesel), which I haven't looked at in years since it doesn't consume oil:

Pretty cool stuff.

So in both of these pics...you are out "some" oil? am I correct. When would the system tell you to add a top up?
Old 02-13-24, 12:43 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

is there no way to show the car from the rear 3/4 view? lol
Of course there is, though I'm not sure why I'd want to.
Old 02-13-24, 12:48 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Pretty cool stuff.

So in both of these pics...you are out "some" oil? am I correct. When would the system tell you to add a top up?
Yes. Neither of these are actually my car, just examples I found from the same model (I purposefully sought out ones that were neither totally full, nor asking for oil). I'll have to check the spec to be certain, but I am 95% sure that the space between Min and Max is 1 quart/liter just like in the Audi, and they will warn you at Min, or 1 quart below full. If that's correct, then the first picture is about 3/4 quart low, while the second is about 1/8 low.
Old 02-13-24, 12:49 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Of course there is, though I'm not sure why I'd want to.
so you don't see the beaver teeth of course! (usually) that's the best part about being inside the car, amazing driving experience and you don't see the front bumper lol

tbh it wouldn't be so offensive to me if the previous gen didn't look so good... the original M4 is one of the best designs they ever did
Old 02-13-24, 01:00 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

so you don't see the beaver teeth of course! (usually) that's the best part about being inside the car, amazing driving experience and you don't see the front bumper lol

tbh it wouldn't be so offensive to me if the previous gen didn't look so good... the original M4 is one of the best designs they ever did
I love the aggressiveness of it, so much so that I refuse to run a front plate--even though it's required in IL--because it ruins the aesthetic. It's actually my second-favorite part of the exterior, first being the wide hips--which was one of the deciding factors in favor of the M3 vs. the M4. It also gets a TON of positive attention in the real world, which I honestly was not expecting given the level of e-hate it gets online (including your good-natured ribbing ). I don't like the mesh outer grills in the screenshot, much prefer (and mine has) the optional carbon fiber ducts there.

The F8x was gorgeous as well, as were the E9x and E46 before it.
Old 02-13-24, 01:40 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

I love the aggressiveness of it, so much so that I refuse to run a front plate--even though it's required in IL--because it ruins the aesthetic. It's actually my second-favorite part of the exterior, first being the wide hips--which was one of the deciding factors in favor of the M3 vs. the M4. It also gets a TON of positive attention in the real world, which I honestly was not expecting given the level of e-hate it gets online (including your good-natured ribbing ). I don't like the mesh outer grills in the screenshot, much prefer (and mine has) the optional carbon fiber ducts there.

i've seen a bunch of the "beaver teeth grille" in person and i still haven't come around to it, same with the new 7 series... it's like how i'll like literally everything about a particular lexus apart from the spindle grille! and that's even including the LC, i just think there needs to be something breaking up the front bumper so it's not all just a big grille
Old 02-13-24, 03:31 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I hadn’t run a front plate on any car between 1993 and 2019 and it is required in CA. I received 2 citations for speeding over that span. One officer didn’t say anything about the front plate. The other officer asked if I was aware that I don’t have a front plate and that it is required. I said understood and he said ok. That was it. No ticket.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1