Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SUV sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 01:21 AM
Kelvin2020
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Lexus sold about 320k units
BMW sold about 330k units, excluding the mini brand
MB sold about 340k units, excluding the van unit

I would say it is quite impressive for them. BMW and MB are constantly pushing out the latest and greatest trying to generate sales and interest. Lexus just goes about its merry way with its "mediocre outdated" products and sells what it sells. This is for the better part of the year with huge dealer mark ups and supply constraints. Me thinks Toyota/Lexus might be slightly smarter than that hive mind we have going on here.
MB only sold around 280k this year (excluding the Van)

Old 01-13-24, 04:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Mercedes sales have been way down from their potential the past couple of years. Both years they’ve had production issues effecting their most popular models. They really haven’t gotten their act together since the pandemic in regards to that. Add into the fact that they have no EVs in high volume price points yet besides the half assed EQB and it makes things worse.

Profit margin and ATP are as healthy as ever though.

EDIT: It’s also not going to get any better in 2024. Bosch is having major issues supplying the 48v battery in the new E-class, causing its launch date to be heavily delayed.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-13-24 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-13-24, 05:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I would say it is quite impressive for them. BMW and MB are constantly pushing out the latest and greatest trying to generate sales and interest. Lexus just goes about its merry way with its "mediocre outdated" products and sells what it sells. This is for the better part of the year with huge dealer mark ups and supply constraints. Me thinks Toyota/Lexus might be slightly smarter than that hive mind we have going on here.
The different strategies for Lexus, MB and BMW each seem to be working.
Old 01-13-24, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

As I have said before, as an enthusiast do I want to buy a car that they sell a ton of because its mainstream and cheap, or do I want a car that pushes the envelope and is truly excellent in some way? I just don't see how as an enthusiast I should be excited that Lexus sells a ton of cars because they are much cheaper than the German competition. The innovation and fresh products and cutting edge technology and performance has value to me. I can give a lot of that up, but I can't give up the design and presentation of the car AND that stuff. Something that is cheaper and also lesser is not a better value.

Remember that Lexus WAS #1 in sales for several years and that was when they were building cars that competed with the Germans, their ATPs are also WAY lower than MB and BMW, so from a profit perspective their gross profit on those sales is way lower, and they have considerably eroded the value of their brand. Is that smarter?
Old 01-23-24, 01:28 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

How many of those Mercedes & bmw's are leased vs purchased? I'd say more then half is not more......
Old 01-23-24, 03:24 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
How many of those Mercedes & bmw's are leased vs purchased? I'd say more then half is not more......
Doesn't make the slightest difference. Each car, whether leased, financed or cash, only counts as a single sale on each manufacturer's scoreboard.

BMW in particular have turned this into an art form. They have a very effective strategy designed around getting the same cars and customers back every three years, driving repeat business and ensuring a constant supply of lease-return CPO vehicles. They make it easy to buy, easy to buy another after that, and their sales numbers reflect that. To a greater extent than anyone else their model is sell the same car at least twice while getting the customer into a new one, rinse and repeat.
Old 01-23-24, 04:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As I have said before, as an enthusiast do I want to buy a car that they sell a ton of because its mainstream and cheap, or do I want a car that pushes the envelope and is truly excellent in some way? I just don't see how as an enthusiast I should be excited that Lexus sells a ton of cars because they are much cheaper than the German competition. The innovation and fresh products and cutting edge technology and performance has value to me. I can give a lot of that up, but I can't give up the design and presentation of the car AND that stuff. Something that is cheaper and also lesser is not a better value.

Remember that Lexus WAS #1 in sales for several years and that was when they were building cars that competed with the Germans, their ATPs are also WAY lower than MB and BMW, so from a profit perspective their gross profit on those sales is way lower, and they have considerably eroded the value of their brand. Is that smarter?
So do you care about sales or not?

I am not so sure Lexus is not super profitable, i would not make things up on profitability at TMC is very profitable and can't be because of Yaris.
Old 01-23-24, 04:38 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
I say over 50% but just a guess.
Old 01-23-24, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I am not so sure Lexus is not super profitable, i would not make things up on profitability at TMC is very profitable and can't be because of Yaris.
I don’t care about sales no, I would like to see them make fewer better cars.

My point about sales figures is when they were making higher end cars they were also #1, the two don’t have to be exclusive.

Originally Posted by Margate330
I say over 50% but just a guess.
It’s over 50% for all of them including Lexus, doesn’t matter.
Old 01-23-24, 09:37 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Lexus strategy is not competing with German brands anymore. It’s just positioning itself as a premium brand. OK in everything but not exceptional, apart from best in class Hybrid drivetrain borrowed from Toyota. So if you look at it, it’s just a different exterior skin and interior skin and different equipment quality compared its Toyota counterparts. This is a very profitable business model from an R&D perspective. No longer will Lexus repeat R&D on the likes of the LS400 or LFA.
Old 01-24-24, 09:45 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I personally do not care about sales, nor do I care about profitability. I am not a TMC shareholder, but I have owned several Lexii in the past, and can say that the most important things for me were which car fit my needs and desires at the time. The things that you mention should really only be the concern of the C-Suite at TMC, not us the customers.
Old 01-24-24, 12:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I personally do not care about sales, nor do I care about profitability. I am not a TMC shareholder, but I have owned several Lexii in the past, and can say that the most important things for me were which car fit my needs and desires at the time. The things that you mention should really only be the concern of the C-Suite at TMC, not us the customers.
i was replying to user post about profitability and sales.
Old 01-25-24, 03:46 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Lexus strategy is not competing with German brands anymore. It’s just positioning itself as a premium brand. OK in everything but not exceptional, apart from best in class Hybrid drivetrain borrowed from Toyota. So if you look at it, it’s just a different exterior skin and interior skin and different equipment quality compared its Toyota counterparts. This is a very profitable business model from an R&D perspective. No longer will Lexus repeat R&D on the likes of the LS400 or LFA.
What's strange is that even when they have the technology to make a "premium" driving experience, they default to Toyota FWD anyway. Case in point...

Range, charging, and other weak EV attributes aside, Lexus had the perfect opportunity to create a proper RWD-biased driving experience. Instead, as Alex pointed out, for some utterly bonkers decision they put the more powerful motor at the front, making it effectively a FWD-biased car... despite the fact that EV motors don't have to work around a driveshaft or engine.

It's like they WANT to be known as Toyota+ as the brand identity.

Last edited by Motorola; 01-25-24 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-25-24, 05:09 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

pretty much just a highlander with an RX interior.

case in point Lexus no longer put much effort or money in R&D.

friends use to say i drive a dressed up Toyota, but now they are actually on point with all the modern mainstream Lexuses.