Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SUV sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 05:21 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,115 Likes on 722 Posts
Default Lexus SUV sales

Car and Driver has and article stating "Lexus trucks were up 34 percent to an impressive total of 252,861 units. That’s nearly four times as many sales as Lexus cars racked up". Another article reflecting hybrids represent 34% of total sales. This is up from 10% just a few years ago.
Old 01-05-24, 10:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

it's not that impressive. lexus has 3 sedans with only the ES commanding good sales volumes because it's a unique value/luxury offering.
the rest of the lineup is cuv/suv's except tiny lc500 numbers.

lexus sales have been pretty flat over recent years and they appear to be way up for '23 because they had bad supply chain issues in '22.

source: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/lexus-us-sales-figures/
Old 01-08-24, 07:15 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Exactly.

Lexus gave up on sedans. No GS, aging ES, irrelevant LS. IS hasn’t changed in over 10 years apart from some reskin.

No real Fs.

Meh.

At least Toyota has some interesting RWD/AWD sedans like the Crown and Crown Sport.
Old 01-08-24, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lexus sales have been pretty flat over recent years and they appear to be way up for '23 because they had bad supply chain issues in '22.
I agree with Bit on this one. Much of the "increase" is simply getting back to normal (or near-normal) after the pandemic and supply-disruptions of the last few years.
Old 01-08-24, 07:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Is Lexus going to become like Ford and stop making sedans?
Old 01-08-24, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Last year's ES (2023) sales were just under 40K. That's probably enough to keep at least the ES in production for the time being.....but we'll see.
Old 01-08-24, 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
i doubt it, but i also don't see them doing another IS. the ES soldiers commands decent numbers, and i'm sure profits too.
Old 01-08-24, 08:43 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

IMO the GX is going to be a huge seller for them. I expect sales to increase alot more next year overall for the brand. If there isn't a supply issue (likely will be) I think the GX will outsell the NX and TX.
Old 01-09-24, 07:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Lexus killed their sedans starting with the design of current LS.

I think ES and IS still sell in decent #s.
Lexus is irrelevant brand at this point like Acura, both are ages behind the Germans.

The new GX is probably the best product i have seen from the brand in awhile and the only other highlight is the NA V8 models LC500, IS500 and RCF - which have another year or 2 left, then it will be all hybrids.
Old 01-09-24, 12:22 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lexus killed their sedans starting with the design of current LS.

I think ES and IS still sell in decent #s.
Lexus is irrelevant brand at this point like Acura, both are ages behind the Germans.

The new GX is probably the best product i have seen from the brand in awhile and the only other highlight is the NA V8 models LC500, IS500 and RCF - which have another year or 2 left, then it will be all hybrids.
I agree. The GX will do really well and is a great looking vehicle from what I can tell so far. The LC500 is a beautiful car. Other than those two, I don't align to the brand anymore which is a shame.
Old 01-09-24, 01:08 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I agree. The GX will do really well and is a great looking vehicle from what I can tell so far. The LC500 is a beautiful car. Other than those two, I don't align to the brand anymore which is a shame.
Yeah I understand. I do personally like the LX600 and IS500 as well. I know the competitors for the LX600 are objectively better but I do like the styling. The is500 I think is currently the best looking sedan and the v8 is a bonus.

I do agree the GX and LC are their 2 best products and imo very competitive in their class.
Old 01-09-24, 02:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i doubt it, but i also don't see them doing another IS. the ES soldiers commands decent numbers, and i'm sure profits too.
I thought I read somewhere a next gen IS is coming, but it'll be an EV so basically a new product line.

Old 01-10-24, 03:35 PM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 788 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I thought I read somewhere a next gen IS is coming, but it'll be an EV so basically a new product line.
Yeah, i'm not sure if they'll go full EV and stick to a hybrid setup instead, which would make alot of sense for the IS being a small sedan.

Nobody wants sedans anywhere. Up here in Ontario, my Lexus dealer told me they sell 15 SUV's for every 1 sedan they sell. That's crazy. Whatever sedans they do have sit in inventory for a long time.
Old 01-11-24, 10:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with Bit on this one. Much of the "increase" is simply getting back to normal (or near-normal) after the pandemic and supply-disruptions of the last few years.
Lexus sold about 320k units
BMW sold about 330k units, excluding the mini brand
MB sold about 340k units, excluding the van unit

I would say it is quite impressive for them. BMW and MB are constantly pushing out the latest and greatest trying to generate sales and interest. Lexus just goes about its merry way with its "mediocre outdated" products and sells what it sells. This is for the better part of the year with huge dealer mark ups and supply constraints. Me thinks Toyota/Lexus might be slightly smarter than that hive mind we have going on here.
Old 01-11-24, 01:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I would say it is quite impressive for them. BMW and MB are constantly pushing out the latest and greatest trying to generate sales and interest. Lexus just goes about its merry way with its "mediocre outdated" products and sells what it sells. This is for the better part of the year with huge dealer mark ups and supply constraints. Me thinks Toyota/Lexus might be slightly smarter than that hive mind we have going on here.
ha... i expect ATP (avg transaction prices) for lexus have been a lot lower than mb/bmw but i sense that is changing now with updated and new models. how that will affect the horse race remains to be seen.

Quick Reply: Lexus SUV sales