Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Washington D.C. Auto Show January 19-28, 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Another poor decision by the bean counters at these automakers.
They rather pay some random Youtuber and fly them out to an event rather than spend some $$$ on a Show display.

The years of cool concept cars and wowing the public are long gone…
All of them are copying the Tesla way of doing business which is be as cheap as possible!
But it’s working, how can you say it’s a poor decision?

Like it or not times change and how companies reach consumers changes.
Old 01-06-24, 10:33 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been to every Philly Auto Show since the 80's as a kid. Even made the 2020 one which took place two weeks prior to the world changing.
This year's show is so weak yet more expensive, I think I'm sitting it out. Most of my favorite brands won't be there.
Old 01-06-24, 10:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Another poor decision by the bean counters at these automakers.
They rather pay some random Youtuber and fly them out to an event rather than spend some $$$ on a Show display.

The years of cool concept cars and wowing the public are long gone…
All of them are copying the Tesla way of doing business which is be as cheap as possible!
by this logic they should be spending tons on print ads too.

and no, it's not about 'random youtubers' - there are obviously some more influential ones than others.

if you fly doug demuro, marquis brownlee, redline reviews guy, alex dykes, and a few others... you can get HUGE engagement.
Old 01-06-24, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s like in my business. Ask the guys sending mailer cards how they’re doing lol
Old 01-06-24, 12:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Very few brands…wow. I’ll probably pass this year for the first time ever.
Philly Autoshow starts next week. Automakers NOT participating:
-BMW
-Mercedes
-Audi
-Porsche
-Volvo
-Mini
-Caddy
-Lincoln
-Acura
-Jag/Land Rover
-Hyundai/Genesis
-Mitsubishi (but I'm not sure they have been there in the past 15 years)
-Stelantis (which means no Jeep "off road track" ride)

I haven't been to the Philly show since pre-pandemic, and if this is what it's going to be, I may never be back
Originally Posted by TheRas900
I've been to every Philly Auto Show since the 80's as a kid. Even made the 2020 one which took place two weeks prior to the world changing.
This year's show is so weak yet more expensive, I think I'm sitting it out. Most of my favorite brands won't be there.
Yup. Someone in my neighborhood was giving out free tix, and I won't even bother.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-07-24 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-06-24, 01:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And those Jeep displays were fun, it’s a shame you never got to experience one. The whole point of a car show is to draw attention to your cars, so by your logic the whole thing is a “gimmick”
Yeah, - that's the thing that kept me from ever doing the Jeep track - the enormous line. It's a hugely popular attraction.
Old 01-06-24, 02:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yeah, - that's the thing that kept me from ever doing the Jeep track - the enormous line. It's a hugely popular attraction.
When Land Rover did it a few years ago I got invited by the GM of LR of Tysons and brought a bunch of friends after hours and we did it with no line. It was awesome.
Old 01-06-24, 02:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm retired and back when I was going to the Chicago show I'd go on a Tuesday morning when there wasn't much of a crowd. I could usually see what I wanted to see, hit a couple of the manufacturer's attractions and be on the way home after a quick slice of Connies pizza by 1 or 2. I haven't been to the show for a quite a while though.
Old 01-06-24, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

Yes, the D.C. show also had big lines for that display. Lots of people liked it....and I respect their opinion. But I thought it was more of a gimmick than anything else. I'd rather do the hands-on-test drives offered at the show.
Old 01-06-24, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can test drive a car whenever you want at a dealership, how often do you have the opportunity to ride along in a vehicle on a course like that.

Also forgot to add about the LR thing we went to, they let us drive them while regular attendees had to ride.
Old 01-06-24, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Also forgot to add about the LR thing we went to, they let us drive them while regular attendees had to ride.
I agree, that is a better set-up...unless you have careless or irresponsible drivers.

I don't remember LR having a test-drive circuit around the D.C. city streets like several other brands typically did....most often Subaru, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, and Toyota. if they had one, it must have been inside.....when I was not at the show.
Old 01-06-24, 03:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buick isn't dead in the U.S. yet LOL. They will at least have a presence at the show .....which is more than I can say for a number of other automakers today.
Out of curiosity and based on your comment, I looked up the 2009 Detroit Auto show attendees and that included a presence from Pontiac including the G8 and solstice. That show started January 11-25th, and on April 27 GM announced that Pontiac would be dropped.
Old 01-06-24, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Out of curiosity and based on your comment, I looked up the 2009 Detroit Auto show attendees and that included a presence from Pontiac including the G8 and solstice. That show started January 11-25th, and on April 27 GM announced that Pontiac would be dropped.

Pontiac never had the huge presence in China that Buick does. And its U.S. sales were also plunging at the time. I agree the G8 was a very nice product....if you remember, I did an MM-Review on a G8 GT. So was the Holden-derived GTO....which I did not do a formal write-up on. Unfortunately, neither one sold at the time....the public thought they were styled like rental-cars.

GM officials discussed dropping Buick at the time instead of Pontiac....but Buick won out, probably because of the Chinese market. Buick, at the time, was also much stronger here at home than it is now, with a line of sedans that were very popular with not only older drivers but those of any age who liked a comfortable ride.

Your comment, Dave, however, is not without merit....even today, lots of folks are still complaining that Pontiac should gave been kept instead of Buick. I am not one of them.....but there are plenty out there, and I respect their view.
Old 01-06-24, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, that is a better set-up...unless you have careless or irresponsible drivers.

I don't remember LR having a test-drive circuit around the D.C. city streets like several other brands typically did....most often Subaru, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, and Toyota. if they had one, it must have been inside.....when I was not at the show.
LR had an off road course inside the show like Jeep used to. You rode along like Jeep, you could only drive at the after hours event or was invited to. I explained that.

I have no interest in test driving a car around the convention center in DC traffic. I can go drive cars I want at dealerships.
Old 01-06-24, 03:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

But it’s working, how can you say it’s a poor decision?

Like it or not times change and how companies reach consumers changes.
Some things are not better - personally i much rather go to an event rather see it on my phone.
Nobody is saying not to do digital promotions or have influencers peddle your latest crap as the next best thing but there is definitely a loss to the consumer when they can’t go and physically look at the cars.

Also the shows were more of a family outing where ppl went there that weren’t into cars. It was just an event to attend like the circus.

All the cost cutting is evident whether it’s lack of show displays, cheap build quality, cheaper labor locations etc.

Quick Reply: Washington D.C. Auto Show January 19-28, 2024