Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Washington D.C. Auto Show January 19-28, 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have no interest in test driving a car around the convention center in DC traffic. I can go drive cars I want at dealerships.

Oh I agree it is not the same experience....I've said that several times before. But it is better than nothing.....and I am the type of person that can tell a lot about a vehicle, at least for typical day to day driving, from just a couple of minutes behind the wheel.

And, believe me....D.C. city streets will give you a good idea of how well the suspension and underpinnings are designed LOL.
Old 01-06-24, 03:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
by this logic they should be spending tons on print ads too.

and no, it's not about 'random youtubers' - there are obviously some more influential ones than others.

if you fly doug demuro, marquis brownlee, redline reviews guy, alex dykes, and a few others... you can get HUGE engagement.
Again it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Ofcourse digital reach is very important but going away from reaching out to consumers with physical products is a huge mistake.

Going back to Tesla - although they are not at Auto shows, they have Tesla stores everywhere and it’s extremely easy to get a long test drive with one. Go try that with most other automakers, half the cars are locked when you go to a random dealer. Getting a test drive is almost as painful as going to the dentist with most dealers.
Old 01-06-24, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Some things are not better - personally i much rather go to an event rather see it on my phone.
Nobody is saying not to do digital promotions or have influencers peddle your latest crap as the next best thing but there is definitely a loss to the consumer when they can’t go and physically look at the cars.

Also the shows were more of a family outing where ppl went there that weren’t into cars. It was just an event to attend like the circus.

All the cost cutting is evident whether it’s lack of show displays, cheap build quality, cheaper labor locations etc.
Thats your preference, but again it’s a business and if they can accomplish their objectives without the expense of participating in a show, then it makes sense to do that. You can find something else fun to do with your family, that’s not what carmakers participating in a car show is about.

It’s about selling cars not about giving you something to do. You compare it to a circus, guess what else people no longer go and see? The circus.

I love car shows, but I understand that what I love and what makes the most sense for their business aren’t the same.
Old 01-06-24, 04:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pontiac never had the huge presence in China that Buick does. And its U.S. sales were also plunging at the time.
got (bad) news for you... buick sales in china are falling faster than a skydiver without a chute. 2022 was 1/3 of (highest) volume in 2014.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Again it doesn’t have to be one or the other.
Ofcourse digital reach is very important but going away from reaching out to consumers with physical products is a huge mistake.
i'm sure you know better than the vast majority of auto makers bailing on these shows.

Going back to Tesla - although they are not at Auto shows, they have Tesla stores everywhere
my nearest tesla store is 90 mi. away. hardly convenient. but i'd still buy one if the features/timing were right. almost did this time but couldn't wait for the highland feature set to be released.
Old 01-06-24, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Legacy carmakers don’t have dealers everywhere?!
Old 01-06-24, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Legacy carmakers don’t have dealers everywhere?!
They don't?

Old 01-06-24, 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or you didn't understand my post lol
Old 01-06-24, 06:22 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

While corporate Stellantis isn't showing up, most of these shows are regional dealer association run anyhow. Local CDJR dealers could have stepped up to bring cars and pay for some signage, but they apparently felt it wasn't worth it. I don't blame them, they don't have much to talk about. Chrysler is down to the Pacifica, Challenger and the muscle cars are gone for now. Jeep doesn't have much new to speak about.

That said the DC show is fading a bit, I know the leadership and they're trying to convince the brands every year to come back and establish a minimum presence on the floor as it's still a big draw for consumers.

I'm still excited and will continue to host part of the VIP tours. Also love being able to take my daughter on the sneak preview night before the massive crowds.
Old 01-06-24, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or you didn't understand my post lol

It was a "Legacy" joke LOL.
Old 01-06-24, 08:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was a "Legacy" joke LOL.
Ah lol……….
Old 01-07-24, 07:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the D.C. show also had big lines for that display. Lots of people liked it....and I respect their opinion. But I thought it was more of a gimmick than anything else. I'd rather do the hands-on-test drives offered at the show.
You mean the ones where you make 4 rights around the convention center in city traffic? Me, personally, I'm not interested in that. There's lines for those too. I'd rather just have no test drive at all, and spend my time inside looking at the cars.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-07-24 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-07-24, 10:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You mean the ones where you make 4 rights around the convention center in city traffic? Me, personally, I'm not interested in that. There's lines for those too. I'd rather just have no test drive at all, and spend my time inside looking at the cars.
Exactly, doesn’t tell you much lol
Old 01-07-24, 10:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Not many brands at the DC Show. We had the same problem here at the one that took place on Miami Beach this past year. Real disappointment thought Lexus was there in force with their models.
Old 01-13-24, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you want to see the future of car shows, here it is. Note MB is at CES...

Old 01-13-24, 09:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

After pulling out of the Chicago Auto Show several years ago, I was surprised to see that BMW is listed as being in the 2024 show next month. Kind of surprising. No Audi or Mercedes though which has been the case for several years too. If it's accurate it shows 7 Series, 8 Series, i4, i7, iX as well as X1, X3, X5 and X7 as being on display.

Quick Reply: Washington D.C. Auto Show January 19-28, 2024