Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally.....Looks like a mid-sized truck from Stellantis is coming.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-24, 01:15 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

The Maverick sells because there is a definite market for it. Back in the day we had a Mazda B2000(Rebadged Ford) which provided us with all the 'pickup' we needed. Nowadays, unless you have a business that actually needs this type of vehicle, a full-sized, and possibly even the new 'mid-sized' pickups are just too large. Ours was good enough for running around town, carrying dogs, and doing the home repair/home depot runs as needed. These small pickups work great for most homeowners who do the typical home projects, and providing a smaller footprint for every day around-town driving.
Old 01-15-24, 01:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
In this case you can tell because the Rampage shares a platform with the Jeep Compass which is a compact crossover, similar to how the Maverick shares a platform with the Escape and the Santa Cruz shares a platform with the Tucson.

The Ridgeline is a mid-size BOF truck that shares a platform with Honda's midsize crossovers.

I have no doubt that if RAM were to start selling a mid-size RAM branded pickup in the US, it would be adapted from the Jeep Gladiator's platform(likely with an independent front suspension rather than the Jeep's solid front axle).
Agreed, except the Ridgeline is unibody like Honda's other crossovers.
Old 01-15-24, 01:47 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Whoops, that was a typo on my part. I typed mid-size and my brain basically autocompleted it with BOF.

Old 01-15-24, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Whoops, that was a typo on my part. I typed mid-size and my brain basically autocompleted it with BOF.
​​​​​​​The Ridgeline is actually quite unusual in that regard. It uses a crossover-type unibody on top of an underlying structure that is (more or less) like a BOF, with built-in cross-supports. Not the cheapest structure to make, but generally effective.
Old 01-15-24, 05:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Ridgeline is actually quite unusual in that regard. It uses a crossover-type unibody on top of an underlying structure that is (more or less) like a BOF, with built-in cross-supports. Not the cheapest structure to make, but generally effective.
My old Jeep did it first, they are the ones who did the heavy rail unibody to speed up and cheap production costs vs BOF
Old 01-29-24, 02:00 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm actually impressed that this monster is called "midsize".
Old 01-29-24, 06:06 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
I'm actually impressed that this monster is called "midsize".
It's not, it's in the compact pickup segment, as it's about the same size as the Ford Maverick. It's 2" shorter overall and has 4" less wheelbase than the Maverick, but is about 1.5" taller and wider.

So noticeably smaller than a midsize pickup like the Ranger, and will be hilariously tiny parked next to the Ram 1500. Here's Ford's family for comparison:

Old 01-29-24, 06:54 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I still want a maverick but they are far to expensive for what you get.
Old 01-29-24, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I still want a maverick but they are far to expensive for what you get.
It's rather difficult to make that argument when Mavericks start at only 23K....and when they first came out, they started at 19-20K.
Old 01-29-24, 03:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's rather difficult to make that argument when Mavericks start at only 23K....and when they first came out, they started at 19-20K.
23k if someone somehow gets one at correct spec and MSRP......

Even then I can buy a diesel 2500 for $17k and have an insanely higher capability so it a a very hard sell for me as a tool. Would be amazing 90% of the time but that last 10% where I need to tow disqualifies it as worth it.

I would totally pick one up used for 5k though and daily it so my total cost of ownership makes sense
Old 01-29-24, 06:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
23k if someone somehow gets one at correct spec and MSRP......

Even then I can buy a diesel 2500 for $17k and have an insanely higher capability so it a a very hard sell for me as a tool. Would be amazing 90% of the time but that last 10% where I need to tow disqualifies it as worth it.

I would totally pick one up used for 5k though and daily it so my total cost of ownership makes sense
We're not the target of this car.

The target is somebody who doesn't haul heavy or large items, doesn't need/care about BOF, but does have just enough weekend projects or hobbies that it makes sense to have a small bed, and they don't want to own 2 vehicles.

These things are selling well for a reason. IMO it single-handedly killed the Ford Ranger.
Old 01-29-24, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's not, it's in the compact pickup segment, as it's about the same size as the Ford Maverick. It's 2" shorter overall and has 4" less wheelbase than the Maverick, but is about 1.5" taller and wider.

So noticeably smaller than a midsize pickup like the Ranger, and will be hilariously tiny parked next to the Ram 1500. Here's Ford's family for comparison:

great pic. cannot believe how massive the f150 looks
Old 01-29-24, 08:53 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

We're not the target of this car.

The target is somebody who doesn't haul heavy or large items, doesn't need/care about BOF, but does have just enough weekend projects or hobbies that it makes sense to have a small bed, and they don't want to own 2 vehicles.

These things are selling well for a reason. IMO it single-handedly killed the Ford Ranger.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the ranger to be honest lol! True, for people who never need to really move anything large/heavy but still do many projects this is very good vs a CUV
Old 01-30-24, 06:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

My cousin who has a Rogue is considering a Maverick. That’s the target customer.
Old 01-30-24, 07:00 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My cousin who has a Rogue is considering a Maverick. That’s the target customer.
Similarly, I have a friend that moved from an Escape to a Maverick just recently.

Quick Reply: Finally.....Looks like a mid-sized truck from Stellantis is coming.