Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you like the new CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 12:40 PM
BoNgBlAzE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like the new CTS-V?

I think the car looks very promising. I love the looks and especially the drivetrain. 6 speed manual + LS6 v8 rated at 400 hp. Magazines have had it running around tracks faster than the M3 and the M5. All for 50k. How does the new GS400 plan to compete with it?
Old 11-12-03, 04:54 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I personally love the CTS-V. Great engine, great transmission, great handling, and great braking. A true peformance sedan. Some are opposed to the looks but I like the new grille and wheels. The new GS shouldn't have as much power as the CTS, and probably not a 6 speed, but AWD and V8 is a very desirable combination in a sedan. I don't think they serve the same purpose but both should be awesome cars!

James
Old 11-12-03, 05:39 PM
LexFather

I think it is awesome too. I actually like the looks much better. Really awesome performance. And it should be able to be modded easily. Caddy gets much kudos for producing this car. But that interior is dang near as bad as an Altima. I could not believe it when I sat in one. For 35k it was really stretching it but for 50k, that interior is horrible. The Camry/Accord interior is of way better quality.

It's about the total package to me.
How does the new GS400 plan to compete with it?
Maybe indirectly (price) but not directly. For one, the CTS-V is off a 30-35k car so it never was meant to be GS 430 competition. Also this is a SPECIAL EDITION vehicle, the GS 430 is no where near it stock.

CTS-V vs M3 vs S4 vs Volvo S60R and maybe less so the E55, M5, RS6.

Stellar move for Caddy.

Old 11-12-03, 06:23 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Do you like the new CTS-V?

I like it alot, props to Caddy on this car (almost makes up for the Escalade.... almost )

Originally posted by BoNgBlAzE
How does the new GS400 plan to compete with it?
Luxury, class, style, refinement, and reliability to boot. Not to mention an interior that'll make you cream your pants

I wouldn't think that the GS and the CTS-V are competitors - interesting that you made that comparison

Last edited by Davtown; 11-12-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-12-03, 08:51 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it's a very valiant effort by GM, but I personally do not like it!

That front fascia and chisled angular headlights just does not jive, makes me wonder, is Chris Bangle of BMW also moonlighting at GM also??? The interior, although made of a higher qulaity plastics, still looks cheap. Design is so important!

I guess, for me, it's difficult to measure quality and refinement using a Lexus ruler against non-Lexus brands. Is that so very wrong?

Cheers,

Sheldon.
Old 11-13-03, 04:11 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'm with the majority here. Great effort by GM, esp when you consider the image of the division from which it comes!! I'm still not a big fan of the folded paper design look but don't know that I'd go so far as call it another (Chris) Bungle.

What IS it with mfgrs and interiors, though?? Using higher quality, soft touch plastics can't add that much to the mfgrs cost and yet makes such a huge difference in our perception of the quality of the whole vehicle. Not many seem to get it right but T/L always has!! My first Toyota (Celica GT) in 1974 had better plastics and better assembly quality than ANYTHING domestic even then. Maybe that's not a fair comparison since those were definitely the dark days for the American auto industry; on the other hand, they made their own bed.

But maybe, just maybe, the General is waking up..........
Old 11-13-03, 12:26 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, I do agree with the majority that this is probably the best effort yet by GM, HOWEVER, given the size of GM's pockets and marketing muscle the final product that rolls off of the assembly in Detroit is less than acceptable in today's competitive auto world.

GM has had decades to get it right, and they still don't have it! The Japanese (particularly~ Toyota) has been using the correct 'mold' to produce excellent ergonomics, materials, build quality and reliable hardware to encourage and increase loyalty and repeat customers. In other words, the Japanese has the right 'drug' in the auto world to keep us hooked

GM needs some fresh young blood to give the company a fair chance in the auto market. Their cars looks bloated or disguised in layers of ribbed plastic mouldings, the interior is cheap ( and that extends to the Corvette as well ) and busy with allot of stitching and lines.........the cars are not reliable and does not hold it's value, but costs too much. (guess the value speaks for itself )

Remember, those dark days for GM were also infancy days for other manufacturers as well, so if Toyota took the time, money & resources to research and produce quality products why hasn't GM done so by now?

Anyway, the CTS-V is a great effort but not good enough in my books
Old 11-13-03, 01:33 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Nothin says it like a big honkin' V8 and a 6 speed in a package that can also handle pretty well. I hated the style when I 1st saw it but now it's growing on me. It would be a great fun car but will probabaly not hold it's value like many US cars. I wish them great success however as it's the right thing to help revitalize Caddy's image. Would I cross shop to a GS4? You bet. Would I buy it instead? Not sure but I'd give it a shot.

Murph
Old 11-13-03, 02:29 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the CTS-V drivetrain. You cant go wrong with a high HP v-8 and a 6 spd. However, the styling is a bit too stealth fighter, and the interior is sub par, with one exception....the CTS (and most Caddys) have very comfortable seats. As far as value retention, the only domestic that retains value fairly well, and if you keep it long enough actually increases, is the Corvette. It's not perfect, but it's a very affordable sports car when compared to the likes of NSX, Viper, Ford GT, etc.
Old 11-15-03, 05:00 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rock it!
Old 11-15-03, 11:18 AM
BoNgBlAzE

I guess if you want an awesome interior then spend 30k more and get a M5. Its really not that bad though. It is performance oriented and there is no sedan made for anywhere near the price of 50k that can touch it in that aspect. There is also a great number of modifications for the LS6 engine and there will be many more in the future. I cant afford the car being 18 in college but if I was in the market for a 50k car it would surely be a great consideration.