Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What quirks does your car have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 09:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
IMO theres a lot more potential for the car to be damaged loading it onto and off of a tow truck than using a jump box to start it.
Oh no, they're good. They bring boards and everything to not scrape the chin or rear.

There's a dedicated actual tow hook right next to the right foglight, you just pull this trim piece out, put it in neutral and viola.

I need an oil change anyway.
Old 02-06-24, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I just don’t understand preferring having a car towed to safely jump starting it
Old 02-06-24, 09:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don’t understand preferring having a car towed to safely jump starting it
I'm not even taking the slightest risk. These cars get fried all the time.
Old 02-06-24, 09:49 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

yes i'm definitely all in favor of having as few people as possible handling/driving my cars lol

@AJT123 why not just get a trickle charger? the CTEK is a known great option for that, harry metcalfe of harry's garage/evo magazine uses one of those for each of his cars
Old 02-06-24, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Exactly, charge it in your own garage…
Old 02-06-24, 10:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
@AJT123 why not just get a trickle charger? the CTEK is a known great option for that, harry metcalfe of harry's garage/evo magazine uses one of those for each of his cars
Yep, I've got the
FLA/AGM version FLA/AGM version
hooked up to my late father-in-law's car which rarely gets driven (especially in the winter) and the
Lion/LiFePO4 version Lion/LiFePO4 version
hooked up to my M3, which can go a few weeks at a time without leaving the garage (because there's no need) when the weather is crappy. Both are hard-wired to the battery, with a quick disconnect cable so it can be attached/detached in a matter of seconds. Also used the AGM one a few weeks ago on my son's car overnight (using the alligator clips), after he got a voltage warning driving short distances in temps well below zero.

CTEK battery maintainers are legit, highly recommended.
Old 02-06-24, 11:05 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
Yep, I've got the FLA/AGM version hooked up to my late father-in-law's car which rarely gets driven (especially in the winter) and the Lion/LiFePO4 version hooked up to my M3, which can go a few weeks at a time without leaving the garage (because there's no need) when the weather is crappy. Both are hard-wired to the battery, with a quick disconnect cable so it can be attached/detached in a matter of seconds. Also used the AGM one a few weeks ago on my son's car overnight (using the alligator clips), after he got a voltage warning driving short distances in temps well below zero.

CTEK battery maintainers are legit, highly recommended.
the lithium one seems sold out... well now i'm confused i didn't even know i had to consider these types of options for trickle chargers lol, i thought all car batteries were lead acid type

does your M3 have some newer tech in it that makes it recommended to use the lithium iron phosphate type?
Old 02-06-24, 11:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My GS battery recently died. I just did a slow charge on it until I could start it.

Old 02-06-24, 11:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

the lithium one seems sold out... well now i'm confused i didn't even know i had to consider these types of options for trickle chargers lol, i thought all car batteries were lead acid type

does your M3 have some newer tech in it that makes it recommended to use the lithium iron phosphate type?
It's not sold out, you just have to hit "All Buying Options" and it's available shipped from Amazon for $120.

Yes, my M3 has a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. The good news: it's about 32 lbs lighter than the battery in the prior model. The bad news: A replacement is $1800 from the dealer, though it's currently on sale at Turner for $1300. Hence the reason for the maintainer. If it extends the battery life by even a couple of months it's worthwhile.
Old 02-06-24, 11:45 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

It's not sold out, you just have to hit "All Buying Options" and it's available shipped from Amazon for $120.

Yes, my M3 has a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. The good news: it's about 32 lbs lighter than the battery in the prior model. The bad news: A replacement is $1800 from the dealer, though it's currently on sale at Turner for $1300. Hence the reason for the maintainer. If it extends the battery life by even a couple of months it's worthwhile.
WTF!! what a crazy expensive "regular" car battery... is lightness the only advantage?
Old 02-06-24, 11:59 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Oh, this is like a Doug Demuro Quirks and Features thread. lol

- My key fob that looks and feels like a bomb detonator when you press the lock button.
- Turn Signal/Blind Spot Cameras that display in the instrument cluster will forever be my favorite feature and cant live without it, especially living in the city.
- Headsup Display can be rotated on its side. I have ZERO idea why that is a thing, but its there.
- When a car in front drives away, a chime will sound letting you know to pay attention. lol. (its also active when parked which is dumb, but whatever)
- Door chimes that sound when cars, people or bikes are going by so you dont hit or get your door taken off. Also helpful here in the city when street parked.
- Instrument display that tells you what position the headlights, wipers are in. small detail since both are auto controlled, but leaves the guess work out of looking to far in case you adjust by accident.

Quirks I dont like...

- Phantom parking sensor activations. Something will randomly trigger the sensor intermittently. Thankfully not often, but it happens when coming to a stop or when stopped. a quick button press cancels the activation when not needed.
- Powertrain selector defaults to comfort or eco every time I start car. I wish i can default to custom where I have everything set to Sport (AWD split, suspension, steering, exhaust) except the transmission.
- No button for LKA to default on, only for Lane Departure. Departure is very abrupt if its ever activated, which i understand, but LKA is not intrusive at all. So if i ever get into a situation where LD is activated, i get a strong tug on the wheel then I turn on LKA.
- My wireless phone charger should be called a phone heater. They tried to solve the issue by building a fan into it and blow cold air directly onto the phone which works for a bit, but the phone STILL turns into hot lava. This seems to be an issue across every make with wireless phone chargers though.
Old 02-06-24, 12:02 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

WTF!! what a crazy expensive "regular" car battery... is lightness the only advantage?
Longevity should be also, but it's currently 8 months old, so a bit early to determine if that's truly the case.
Old 02-06-24, 01:26 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Longevity should be also, but it's currently 8 months old, so a bit early to determine if that's truly the case.
seems highly unnecessary, considering how long the rest of the BMW will last

it's still a 12V battery too, is it possible to just buy a "regular" battery as a replacement?
Old 02-06-24, 01:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My favorite quirk. They canceled it for budget reasons and apparently on high it shakes the car, but not in mine. It also gets people wet standing near it (who cares? If it's raining?) This is VASTLY superior to the regular way. They also canceled it because they had reports of people "mesmerized " with it and I can see why.
Old 02-06-24, 01:44 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

seems highly unnecessary, considering how long the rest of the BMW will last
Meh, traded my first one at 12 years and 158k miles in perfect working order. Cheapest car to maintain that anyone in my family has ever had. Still have the second one after 12 years and 120k miles, with no major issues outside of the diesel emissions nonsense. I'm fully expecting to have both that and the new one for >20 years.

it's still a 12V battery too, is it possible to just buy a "regular" battery as a replacement?
Haven't investigated that yet, but it may be possible. But my previous factory batteries have all lasted 6+ years, and this is both supposed to be better, and will be better cared for (always garaged, on a tender if not being driven). So I've got a while before crossing that bridge. And who knows, after 7-8 years, LiFePO4 batteries might be down to ~$400 so it won't even matter.

Quick Reply: What quirks does your car have?