Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used Car Buying Advice - Lexus Retaining Too Much Value To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 01:06 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Bear in mind that an LS500 will need considerably more upkeep than an IS or ES, especially if you get one with air suspension. There's a reason why it depreciates like a German car.
This. I think that if one were looking for a reliable luxury cruiser, the final years of the LS460 would be a more prudent choice over the first years of the LS500. Also, to my eyes, the LS460 looks significantly better, especially in the updated version.
Old 01-31-24, 01:23 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to do it. The IS is already making me sweat with the tires, fuel grade, and mpg

But 703 was right about depreciation (probably for the reasons you both outlined)
Old 01-31-24, 01:28 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just curious if you considered something like an NX. Its basically a Lexus built on top of a Rav4. But if you're worried about things like tires, fuel, and MPG, the hybrid model might fit the bill better. Granted, its not a sedan.
Old 02-01-24, 05:13 AM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwong77
Just curious if you considered something like an NX. Its basically a Lexus built on top of a Rav4. But if you're worried about things like tires, fuel, and MPG, the hybrid model might fit the bill better. Granted, its not a sedan.
Not a big fan of the look

Would prefer the v6 of the 350 is or es
Old 02-01-24, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

If you want a Lexus with the least out of pocket cost for repairs and maintenance, get the ES. The IS is still very cheap to maintain.
Old 02-01-24, 12:30 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you want a Lexus with the least out of pocket cost for repairs and maintenance, get the ES. The IS is still very cheap to maintain.
I like the look of the newer ES's, much more comparable to the IS in my opinion of course

Been looking so long I'm now indecisive.

Paying a premium for what I perceive to be a better looking car might be in order. Will probably depend on what sort of deals I find
Old 02-01-24, 12:48 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand you want a Lexus but why? I owned an IS250. Even though it's a Lexus there was nothing special about it other than it being rwd. My HS250 serves the same purpose as my IS250 and GS350. A commuter car. If your budget is only 35k. There's no shame in purchasing a new Accord or Camry.
My coworker just showed me he's buyer sheet for a new Accord. He's happy SH...

Last edited by rogers2; 02-01-24 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 03:17 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rogers2
I understand you want a Lexus but why? I owned an IS250. Even though it's a Lexus there was nothing special about it other than it being rwd. My HS250 serves the same purpose as my IS250 and GS350. A commuter car. If your budget is only 35k. There's no shame in purchasing a new Accord or Camry.
Comfort, reliability, and a small status symbol

If I'm not going to use it as a status symbol, then keeping my functional but very low value vehicle would be fine. That's why I settled on Lexus. I want something that says "He knows what he's doing" while having a little pep to aggressively make a move. Chicagoland highways are relatively high speed. Not too much to tempt me into bad behavior though
Old 02-01-24, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EricM55
I like the look of the newer ES's, much more comparable to the IS in my opinion of course

Been looking so long I'm now indecisive.

Paying a premium for what I perceive to be a better looking car might be in order. Will probably depend on what sort of deals I find
The ES is nothing like the IS. If you want a sporty car at all, the IS will run circles around the ES. If you just want a nice classy Lexus that doesn't break the bank to own and rides pretty nice and is comfortable, the ES is great...I had 2.

Originally Posted by EricM55
Comfort, reliability, and a small status symbol

If I'm not going to use it as a status symbol, then keeping my functional but very low value vehicle would be fine. That's why I settled on Lexus. I want something that says "He knows what he's doing" while having a little pep to aggressively make a move. Chicagoland highways are relatively high speed. Not too much to tempt me into bad behavior though
Thats the value of these cars IMO long term. An old Camry or Accord doesn't make the same statement about you that an old Lexus does, even if they are the same vehicle. It just is what it is...like I said somebody will always want an old Lexus.
Old 02-01-24, 03:47 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand!! I thought that way until I owned a Lexus IS. I actually purchase the car for my son. You will see. I remember a Honda Accord passing me on the highway. My IS250 couldn't keep up.
I know you're not going to listen. But save your money until you can get a more expensive car if you want STATUS.
Because you can find reliable and comfort in other cars.
Just make sure you post pics when you purchase.

Last edited by rogers2; 02-05-24 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 04:08 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

I understand!! I thought that way until I owned a Lexus IS. I actually purchase the car for my son. You will see. I remember a Honda Accord passing me on the highway. My IS250 couldn't keep up.
I know you're not going to listen. But save your money until you can get a more expensive car if you want STATUS.
Because you can reliable and comfort in other cars.
I find this comment odd. Should I buy a super car because I could technically pay for it and not risk my retirement goals?

Obviously there are diminishing returns on going upscale on a status symbol. Like going from Rolex Submariner to a Patek Nautilus is not going signal status differences* to the vast majority of non watch enthusiasts.

You're wanting me to take this symbol much further than I wanted to hahahaha. I don't want to have a nicer car than executives I work with
Old 02-01-24, 04:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because you can reliable and comfort in other cars.
It depends on what you want out of the car. That Accord may pass you on the highway but it won't be anywhere near as rewarding to drive on a good road as an IS250. Plus you could have spent a little more on an IS350 and you wouldn't have that issue.

It doesn't sound like he wants or thinks people are going to turn heads in terms of "status", just that his car will look like it belongs in his work parking lot. Theres something to that.
Old 02-01-24, 04:44 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It depends on what you want out of the car. That Accord may pass you on the highway but it won't be anywhere near as rewarding to drive on a good road as an IS250. Plus you could have spent a little more on an IS350 and you wouldn't have that issue.

It doesn't sound like he wants or thinks people are going to turn heads in terms of "status", just that his car will look like it belongs in his work parking lot. Theres something to that.
Exactly. Some of that may be me not communicating well I want to blend in more than stand out when i mentioned the phrase "status symbol"
Old 02-01-24, 04:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

IS is too small inside for a sedan.
ES is not good if you enjoy driving.

Get a 4th Gen GS350 - just as sporty as an IS with much bigger and more luxurious interior. Look for Model year 2013 and newer.
Old 02-01-24, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Really good advice about the GS350...

Quick Reply: Used Car Buying Advice - Lexus Retaining Too Much Value To Buy?