Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used Car Buying Advice - Lexus Retaining Too Much Value To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 04:24 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Ha! We're in the same area and considering the same cars . My wife's '08 LS is starting to show its' age, and the repairs are starting to creep up (201k on the odometer). Ideally, I'd like to find a relatively new (2018+) GS, but these are not easy to come by and the prices reflect that. The ES is the next logical option - kind of boring, but they're slowly growing on me (not sure about wife, though). I test drove a '21 TLX and it was pretty nice - a '21 SH-AWD CPO can be had for around $30k. V6 it is not, but the 2.0T works fairly well. I'll probably add an RDX to the shopping list - basically same drive train & interior, in a different package.
Oh no we're competitors now for that GS

Maybe we'll meet eachother on a lot
Old 02-07-24, 04:50 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Reliability ratings o the g80 are not good.

I'll stick to Japanese
Old 02-07-24, 09:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by EricM55

I'll stick to Japanese
I know several people who have older ones and none have had issues. Don't pigeonhole yourself, I can tell you for certain there is car life beyond Toyota lol
Old 02-07-24, 09:21 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I know several people who have older ones and none have had issues. Don't pigeonhole yourself, I can tell you for certain there is car life beyond Toyota lol
yeah honda, subaru, nissan hahahahaah
Old 02-07-24, 11:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Nissan is just Japanese Chrysler.......their post-2000 output is not holding up that well.
Old 02-08-24, 09:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I'll stick to Japanese
Whose ratings? The most recent model with enough data for CR to publish--MY2019--is listed at better than average. All of the sub-categories are much better than average except for HVAC and infotainment. That at least implies that the complaints are more of the "how do I use this?" variety than the "this thing breaks all the time" variety.

Like Steve, I've known several folks who've had VERY good experiences with Genesis products. My parents actually had the G80s predecessor, the Hyundai Genesis, and it was utterly trouble-free for well over 100k miles. They liked it so much, they replaced it with another Hyundai, this time a Santa Fe Limited because they wanted something smaller.
Old 02-08-24, 09:16 AM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Nissan is just Japanese Chrysler.......their post-2000 output is not holding up that well.
I agree with this. They were the only good looking japanese cars when I was growing up though

Old 02-08-24, 09:23 AM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by geko29
Whose ratings? The most recent model with enough data for CR to publish--MY2019--is listed at better than average. All of the sub-categories are much better than average except for HVAC and infotainment. That at least implies that the complaints are more of the "how do I use this?" variety than the "this thing breaks all the time" variety.

Like Steve, I've known several folks who've had VERY good experiences with Genesis products. My parents actually had the G80s predecessor, the Hyundai Genesis, and it was utterly trouble-free for well over 100k miles. They liked it so much, they replaced it with another Hyundai, this time a Santa Fe Limited because they wanted something smaller.
Looks like the 2017 and 2018 had some issues, the 2019+ seem to be better regarded

That 5.9 i should not have mentioned, linking to a site named "iseecars" which i have never heard of. So not that bad

Consumer reports expects a 2024 g80 to be about average in reliability though. Certainly not rock solid cars.
Old 02-08-24, 02:38 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Consumer reports expects a 2024 g80 to be about average in reliability though. Certainly not rock solid cars.
Consumer Reports doesn't have any available data on the new G80, it's just their "predictions" not consumer feedback. However, the new 2021+ G80 is a different car from the ones you're looking at and requires more maintenance, since like the LS500 it uses turbo engines. The G80 also is more akin in its size and driving dynamic to the LS than the GS, it's the largest car in this entire segment and around the same size as some of the SWB full-size luxury sedans.

The main complaint with Genesis has not been the cars, but the dealership network/lack of independent ones. Most Genesis dealerships nowadays are merely Hyundai dealerships that also work on Genesis vehicles, so you obviously you don't get the customer service of a luxury brand like Lexus and you also have to fight to get a place in line with the more voluminous Hyundai customers.
Old 02-08-24, 02:56 PM
EricM55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Motorola
Consumer Reports doesn't have any available data on the new G80, it's just their "predictions" not consumer feedback. However, the new 2021+ G80 is a different car from the ones you're looking at and requires more maintenance, since like the LS500 it uses turbo engines. The G80 also is more akin in its size and driving dynamic to the LS than the GS, it's the largest car in this entire segment and around the same size as some of the SWB full-size luxury sedans.

The main complaint with Genesis has not been the cars, but the dealership network/lack of independent ones. Most Genesis dealerships nowadays are merely Hyundai dealerships that also work on Genesis vehicles, so you obviously you don't get the customer service of a luxury brand like Lexus and you also have to fight to get a place in line with the more voluminous Hyundai customers.
Yea it's taking make and model data form previous years and giving you a projection.

Not something I would plan to ride around in for 150k miles. But i agree the feature set on paper new the Koreans cars are hard to beat on a per dollar basis. That seems to be true in all segments.

Old 02-08-24, 05:51 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Yea it's taking make and model data form previous years and giving you a projection.

Not something I would plan to ride around in for 150k miles. But i agree the feature set on paper new the Koreans cars are hard to beat on a per dollar basis. That seems to be true in all segments.
Previous year's data is irrelevant because it's a completely different car. Platforms are different, powertrains are different, tech is different. So effectively they're just making a guess.

Any car can go to 150K miles if you perform due diligence with maintenance, but it will be much more expensive for a car with a turbo over time. See prior comments about the frequency of spark plug replacements. Also beware of RWD GS F-Sport models which also have much more expensive than usual brake costs.
Old 02-23-24, 05:59 PM
somethingfornothing
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, the best value for a Lexus is a 4th gen ES. 6-8 grand and you can have a nice solid, very smooth, quiet, safe, relatively good looking, luxurious car with decent power and gas mileage and an example for just over 100k miles. These still have a ton of life left as it's not uncommon to see these at the 450-500k range with the original engine/transmission. You also still get heated/cooled seats, power sunshade, ML stereo, nav (might as well use your phone at this point), power everything, auto windows, etc.

As others have mentioned, there is reason older Lexus models go for a lot. We're finding out as these cars get to be 15-20 years old, or even older, that they still have plenty of life left.