Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

toyota cheated on diesel, like vw

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Default toyota cheated on diesel, like vw

Toyota chief apologizes for cheating on testing at group company _ again

TOKYO (AP) — Toyota chief Koji Sato apologized Monday to customers, suppliers and dealers for flawed testing at a group company, following a series of similar problems in recent years.

The apology came a day before Chairman Akio Toyoda is to announce a “global vision” for the Toyota Motor Corp. group.

The latest woes at Japan’s top automaker involve testing required for Japanese government approval at Toyota Industries Corp., which makes diesel engines.

False results were found for certification testing and other sampling inspections for engines which claimed the products met standards when they actually didn’t, according to Toyota.

“We will do our utmost to resume production as soon as possible,” Sato said at a hastily called news conference late Monday at Toyota’s Tokyo office.

“Management was not able to fully comprehend and keep track of the details of what was happening on the ground,” he said.

Skirting of required tests surfaced last year at Daihatsu Motor Corp., which makes small cars and is 100% owned by Toyota. That cheating, which came to light because of a whistleblower, spanned decades.

In 2022, Hino Motors, a truck maker that’s also part of the Toyota group, said it had systematically falsified emissions data dating back as far as 2003.

https://apnews.com/article/toyota-ch...43208d69a0c86e
Old 01-29-24, 12:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

well, like VW... I very much doubt it was like VW.

But yes, Toyota has huge problems right now in Japan on all of the certification testing.
Old 01-29-24, 12:37 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great - have Toyota fix the ****ty electrify America charging network VW was forced to put in after their scandal, and that should make them whole.
Old 01-29-24, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

ABC - haha
Old 01-29-24, 01:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,235 Likes on 919 Posts

I mean who cares? If they got more power and less total use of fuel out of marginally worse tailpipe emissions it's better overall. Production and worldwide shipping of products makes everything else look comically low impact
Old 01-29-24, 01:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,531 Posts

The apology came a day before Chairman Akio Toyoda is to announce a “global vision” for the Toyota Motor Corp. group.

“We will do our utmost to resume production as soon as possible,” Sato said at a hastily called news conference late Monday at Toyota’s Tokyo office.

“Management was not able to fully comprehend and keep track of the details of what was happening on the ground,” he said.
20 years of cheating and management didn't know? Yea right, management knew exactly what was happening and turned a blind eye.
Originally Posted by Striker223
I mean who cares? If they got more power and less total use of fuel out of marginally worse tailpipe emissions it's better overall. Production and worldwide shipping of products makes everything else look comically low impact
Toyota didn't cheat because not doing so would make emissions marginally worse. If true there would be no reason to cheat.
Old 01-29-24, 03:07 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
20 years of cheating and management didn't know? Yea right, management knew exactly what was happening and turned a blind eye.
too soon?

we, no, THE WORLD deserves that level of apology lmao
Old 01-29-24, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't condone cheating, but, as I see it, there are simply too many regulations being forced on the auto industry today. The temptation to short-cut around them is enormous.
Old 01-29-24, 04:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
LOL!

Wow those are world class crocodile tears, damn.
Old 01-29-24, 05:33 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Perfect timing for Akio to leave and have Koji Sato take all the public humiliation even though all these controversies took place during his tenure.
Old 01-29-24, 05:34 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
LOL!

Wow those are world class crocodile tears, damn.
yea he'd spent public money on his vacations i think, happened around 2014 and it went low key viral for a few days lol
Old 01-29-24, 06:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

too soon?

https://youtu.be/2YHkZg6LInY?t=18

love it. I’d like to see Elon do that after X looses all its advertisers.
Old 01-29-24, 10:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

too soon?

https://youtu.be/2YHkZg6LInY?t=18

yea he'd spent public money on his vacations i think, happened around 2014 and it went low key viral for a few days lol

If you think that politician is wild on camera, look up R. Budd Dwyer, the former Treasurer of Pennsylvania.

I won't post any videos of the incident here.
Old 01-30-24, 12:04 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If you think that politician is wild on camera, look up R. Budd Dwyer, the former Treasurer of Pennsylvania.

I won't post any videos of the incident here.
the name sounded familiar before i looked it up, yea he killed himself during a live press conference!

nonomura only ("only") got 3 years in the can, dwyer had much more serious charges... racketeering really isn't something you want tied to your name lol
Old 01-30-24, 02:57 PM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Perfect timing for Akio to leave and have Koji Sato take all the public humiliation even though all these controversies took place during his tenure.
Actually, I suspect that the two recent scandals (Daihatsu falsifying crash tests results and Toyota Industries diesel engine certification) could be due to Toyota's recent management change.
These activities has been going on for years under Akio's leadership, and it's hard to believe that Toyota management didn't know. Now that Koji Sato replaced Akio (together with other management changes in which younger generation of executives replaced old guard), he maybe cleaning up the "skeletons in the closet" that Akio hid for decades. Let's remember that Akio was a classic case of nepotism, a rich kid who liked to play race diver (Morizo), and most likely wasn't interested in running the company. He doesn't have an engineering degree and doesn't understand much about technology, only cares about profits and driving fun cars. There also have been changes in Japanese government, requiring more transparency and governance from large corporation.
It could very well be that Koji is trying clean the house and get rid of all the corruption that festered under Akio.

Quick Reply: toyota cheated on diesel, like vw