Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best YouTube car reviewer

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If that's how you see him, fine. You're entitled to your view....but I'm going to disagree. I see him as somebody who (usually) tries to mix too much comedy/sarcasm with his reviews, and that, IMO, is not properly or accurately reviewing vehicles. Most people don't want to hear jokes when they are deciding on a new vehicle....they want to know just what they are getting. And that's where Alex Dykes comes in with his consistently excellent reviews.
One day I want to be so confident of my own opinion that I can totally ignore worldwide fame and popularity because it disagrees with my opinion lol

Seriously, I want to live 5 minutes in your brain.
Old 02-19-24, 07:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

With so much content available it's impossible to say who is the "best" reviewer out there. We each might have our favorite(s) but that's about as far as it goes. I like having so many choices to pick and choose from.
Old 02-19-24, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
With so much content available it's impossible to say who is the "best" reviewer out there. We each might have our favorite(s) but that's about as far as it goes. I like having so many choices to pick and choose from.
Totally agree.

My thing is, you cannot ignore popularity. For instance, people love to crap on Doug DeMuro, but he has far and away more subscribers than any other car YouTuber...can't say he's "not good". Clarkson is hugely successful and popular, can't say he's "not good". Can say you don't care for them or their style, but to say their style is "not good" is absurd. The millions of dollars their style has earned them doesn't lie.

"Clarkson does too much of this"...the sheer hubris to think one has any right to tell somebody as successful as Jeremy Clarkson what they are doing is wrong absolutely boggles my mind lol
Old 02-19-24, 08:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My thing is, you cannot ignore popularity. For instance, people love to crap on Doug DeMuro, but he has far and away more subscribers than any other car YouTuber...can't say he's "not good". Clarkson is hugely successful and popular, can't say he's "not good". Can say you don't care for them or their style, but to say their style is "not good" is absurd. The millions of dollars their style has earned them doesn't lie.
Agree. I find Doug a tad annoying, so I only watch him sometimes. But I absolutely acknowledge that his style resonates with a huge number of people. Largely "normies" who maybe I'd describe more as auto-interested than car enthusiasts--that's not a dig, just a comparison of the level of interest/dedication/obsession. And clearly there are a LOT more of them than there are of us. I've definitely had more people out in the general world (as opposed to in car enthusiast circles) tell me that Doug is their favorite reviewer than all other reviewers combined.

He's kind of like Gordon Ramsay in a way. Undeniably an expert in his genre, but most people who watch him are more interested in his personality and what that brings to the show than in the intricate details that are holed up in his brain. The smaller group of people who are interested in learning specific cooking techniques in great detail are looking elsewhere, because that's not what most of his shows are about.
Old 02-19-24, 08:48 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

LOL, here I am thinking I just watch the usual suspects (Throttle House, Jason Camissa, Chris Harris, Smoking Tire, etc etc), like everyone else, and Ive never heard of any of these people above. They all look boring and unrelatable AF to me. But this is super subjective and I'm happy yall enjoy watching them. I need to be at least mildly entertained when watching a car review video. Do something more than drone on about leather seat comfort and steering feel. Add some great videography, tell a story, be silly, tell some jokes etc.

If looking for tons of specs and info, I tune into various car related podcasts instead. I think that is a much better format to fill my inner geek as the reviewers can provide the finite details that they can't fit into a 15-30 min long review video.
Old 02-19-24, 11:16 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

One day I want to be so confident of my own opinion that I can totally ignore worldwide fame and popularity because it disagrees with my opinion lol

No fun allowed.
Old 02-19-24, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, if you lived inside of me, you would quickly learn that fame and popularity mean nothing to me. Never did...never will.
Old 02-19-24, 12:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Well, if you lived inside of me, you would quickly learn that fame and popularity mean nothing to me. Never did...never will.
Well said, me either. lol
Old 02-19-24, 12:05 PM
somethingfornothing
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's how you see him, fine. You're entitled to your view....but I'm going to disagree. I see him as somebody who (usually) tries to mix too much comedy/sarcasm with his reviews, and that, IMO, is not properly or accurately reviewing vehicles. Most people don't want to hear jokes when they are deciding on a new vehicle....they want to know just what they are getting. And that's where Alex Dykes comes in with his consistently excellent reviews.
At the end of the day, it's entertainment. We like our videos that mix in humor and hearing jokes, etc. Youtube isn't the main driver for us deciding what car we want. For that, we'll go to the dealer and look at the car in person, drive it, analyze it, etc.
Old 02-19-24, 12:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
He's kind of like Gordon Ramsay in a way. Undeniably an expert in his genre, but most people who watch him are more interested in his personality and what that brings to the show than in the intricate details that are holed up in his brain. The smaller group of people who are interested in learning specific cooking techniques in great detail are looking elsewhere, because that's not what most of his shows are about.
Great way of describing it.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
No fun allowed.
Exactly lol, serious business.

So the fact that someone is hugely successful at doing something means nothing to you? They are still subject to your judgement of how they do what it is they are hugely successful at doing?

Like I said, sheer hubris.

Jeremy Clarkson is undeniably one of the most successful auto reviewers of all time. Its like people who hate Taylor Swift and say her music is terrible. This shows how absurd that statement is:

You don't have to like it, but rejecting the success is intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-19-24 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-19-24, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by somethingfornothing
At the end of the day, it's entertainment. We like our videos that mix in humor and hearing jokes, etc. Youtube isn't the main driver for us deciding what car we want. For that, we'll go to the dealer and look at the car in person, drive it, analyze it, etc.
I agree that nothing beats a personal test-drive....I myself have done hundreds of them over the years, in everything from a diminutive Smart-for-Two to a massive Ford Excursion. But many people really don't have much in the way of driving skills....or the ability to evaluate a vehicle. They depend on reviewers, auto-magazines, Consumer Reports, and, in some cases, even us here in Car Chat.
Old 02-19-24, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But many people really don't have much in the way of driving skills....or the ability to evaluate a vehicle.
LOL, any adult is able to drive a car and decide whether or not they like the car or not.
Old 02-19-24, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So the fact that someone is hugely successful at doing something means nothing to you? They are still subject to your judgement of how they do what it is they are hugely successful at doing?

Like I said, sheer hubris.
No, that is not Hubris, Hubris is pride and vanity. To be unconcerned with fame and notoriety is the exact opposite of hubris.

Perhaps the best example of Hubris I can think of, among auto-reviewers, was the former Brock Yates of Car & Driver magazine. He was like a strutting peacock, and would diss almost anyone or anything he didn't like...although he was actually not that bad of a reviewer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-24 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-19-24, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, that is not Hubris, Hubris is pride and vanity. To be unconcerned with fame and notoriety is the exact opposite of hubris.
If the word arrogance makes you happier...use that. The hubris is your belief that your opinion about Clarkson is more valid than his obvious incredible success. You don't like Jeremy Clarkson, that does not make him a bad car reviewer. In fact he is the most successful and widely watched car reviewer of all time.

Perhaps the best example of Hubris I can think of, among auto-reviewers, was the former Brock Yates of Car & Driver magazine. He was like a strutting peacock, and would diss almost anyone or anything he didn't like...although he was actually not that bad of a reviewer.
Again, Brock Yates was the Editor in Chief of Car & Driver Magazine. He did not become that by accident, he was a GIANT in his field and earned the right to write what he wanted. What is wrong with a reviewer "dissing" what they don't like? The whole point of a review is whether or not the person who is reviewing the item likes it or not. Your own reviews are full of your own biases and likes and dislikes (your tirades against low profile tires, drab color choices, modern infotainment systems and screens are great examples).

A review is always a subjective opinion of someone who supposedly is in a position to be able to critique an item on its merits.

What you want is someone to spend 40 minutes discussing all the features and trim of a vehicle...thats not a review...thats a presentation. A review by its very nature is always subjective.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-19-24 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-19-24, 01:56 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I would put Clarkson on the same level as Anthony Bourdain rather than Gordon Ramsay... I think that's how much of an impact he's had as a presenter.

Quick Reply: Best YouTube car reviewer