Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best YouTube car reviewer

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 04:04 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

as much as i love clarkson, i love him with most with may and hammond reviewing cars. they are legends!

to be back on topic, today i love throttle house and TFL. i'm slowly starting to watch marques brownlee's new auto channel (auto focus). have you guys seen forrestautoreviews? he's the best shorts reviewer in my opinion.
Old 02-19-24, 08:16 PM
AM123
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Car Care Nut Reviews

What do you guys think about CCN reviews?
Old 02-20-24, 12:15 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Jeremy Clarkson is undeniably one of the most successful auto reviewers of all time. Its like people who hate Taylor Swift and say her music is terrible. This shows how absurd that statement is:
it also needs to be considered whether it's clarkson doing his own project vs clarkson shooting a top gear / grand tour segment where he's effectively tasked with playing an exaggerated tv character version of himself... in that regard he's more like a larry david in curb haha

early years, pre global celebrity clarkson also wasn't nearly as brazen and unconventional, and in addition to the tv shows he's always written a serious paper column with information one could actually find useful and conclusive
Old 02-20-24, 12:41 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Agree. I find Doug a tad annoying, so I only watch him sometimes. But I absolutely acknowledge that his style resonates with a huge number of people. Largely "normies" who maybe I'd describe more as auto-interested than car enthusiasts--that's not a dig, just a comparison of the level of interest/dedication/obsession. And clearly there are a LOT more of them than there are of us. I've definitely had more people out in the general world (as opposed to in car enthusiast circles) tell me that Doug is their favorite reviewer than all other reviewers combined.

He's kind of like Gordon Ramsay in a way. Undeniably an expert in his genre, but most people who watch him are more interested in his personality and what that brings to the show than in the intricate details that are holed up in his brain. The smaller group of people who are interested in learning specific cooking techniques in great detail are looking elsewhere, because that's not what most of his shows are about.
I am also not a Doug fan in his reviews, as I find he sensationalize things he is sometimes wrong about. However, Doug as a business person, I do like a lot. He understood the need to diversify once his YouTube channel hit critical mass.

I think the main thing here is, everyone is entitled to their own opinions on what essentially is entertainment. And sometimes these opinions can shift, case in point, I once really enjoyed Savagegeese, but eventually grew bored of their reviews and humor.
Old 02-20-24, 01:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

My only thing with Doug is that I just don't care for his voice. I think in terms of his content, however, he's fine.

I haven't seen much of Savagegeese's reviews, other than the ones he did for the G30 and G60 BMW's. He didn't seem super interested but I need to watch more to form an opinion.

Old 02-20-24, 01:42 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I haven't seen much of Savagegeese's reviews, other than the ones he did for the G30 and G60 BMW's. He didn't seem super interested but I need to watch more to form an opinion.
I feel like Mark has been in a little bit of a funk lately, since the SUPER in-depth content he loves to do (and I and other fans love to watch) is a monumental amount of work, and doesn't pay back the cost/time. Go check out things like his 5-part series on the Miata or his "love letter" to the LFA to get an idea of what I'm talking about. You won't find stuff like that pretty much anywhere else, and I think it hurts him a bit that it isn't economically viable.
Old 02-20-24, 02:01 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I feel like Mark has been in a little bit of a funk lately, since the SUPER in-depth content he loves to do (and I and other fans love to watch) is a monumental amount of work, and doesn't pay back the cost/time. Go check out things like his 5-part series on the Miata or his "love letter" to the LFA to get an idea of what I'm talking about. You won't find stuff like that pretty much anywhere else, and I think it hurts him a bit that it isn't economically viable.
I think this helps to explain what it is that turns me off from their reviews. There's just too much of a "I hate the world", disgruntled-ness to most of their content. At least with Doug, he's pretty upbeat for the most part, even if he can be factually wrong at times.

Again, this is only my opinion, everyone else is entitle to theirs.
Old 02-20-24, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Agreed, he's very cynical and bitter.
Old 02-20-24, 02:21 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Agreed that Mark seems to be experiencing something of a burnout in the past few years with the Savagegeese videos, which is why he's been delegating more of the presentation to Jack in recent years. I get the impression that he's not remotely interested in most of the cars he reviews because he's an old-school enthusiast, but reviewing crossovers is what pays the bills, and that kills him inside.

He also seems to avoid collaborations, which probably is a sign that he's not as well-connected or perhaps even disliked by other motoring journalists, but that's just my speculation.

Last edited by Motorola; 02-20-24 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-20-24, 02:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I don't spend a lot of time watching reviews on YouTube, so my view is limited.

I like Straight Pipes, Topher, TFL, Meyn, Redline, and a few others. I don't have an issue with Demuro. It's just entertainment.
Old 02-20-24, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
My only thing with Doug is that I just don't care for his voice. I think in terms of his content, however, he's fine.
Yes....Doug's voice is not as grating as Scotty Kilmer's, but IMO, that typical drawn-out "TTTTHHHHIIIISSSS" is the new XXXXX vehicle" introduction is a little overdone.
Old 02-20-24, 03:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes....Doug's voice is not as grating as Scotty Kilmer's, but IMO, that typical drawn-out "TTTTHHHHIIIISSSS" is the new XXXXX vehicle" introduction is a little overdone.
My worst nightmare is a cross-country road trip with Doug and Scotty in the car.

I'd probably end it before I got out of the county.
Old 03-10-24, 07:58 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Scott Smith is back in action. Very much a guilty pleasure to watch his videos.

Old 03-11-24, 08:51 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

For car reviews, I prefer Redline , Alex on Autos and Savagegeese . I know this is not quite possible but is a major consideration is the topic of reliability of a vehicle.
For example... I have a close friend who just bought a GV70 Genesis. He loves it, I saw it and was very impressed. I also was in the market for a new SUV and the more I dug the more I found significant concerns with what I consider Hyundai reliability issues.(I ended up buying a Lexus)
Neither of the reviewers listed above comment on reliability for a particular model (although Savagegeese does generally praise Toyota reliability)
Reliability should be reviewed or mentioned, but I get it, its not a concrete topic for new models unless you have a history for that particular iteration with some years behind it.
Also, I just googled MMarshal and could not find any youtubes.... anyone got a link?
Old 03-11-24, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
For car reviews, I prefer Redline , Alex on Autos and Savagegeese . I know this is not quite possible but is a major consideration is the topic of reliability of a vehicle.
For example... I have a close friend who just bought a GV70 Genesis. He loves it, I saw it and was very impressed. I also was in the market for a new SUV and the more I dug the more I found significant concerns with what I consider Hyundai reliability issues.(I ended up buying a Lexus)
Neither of the reviewers listed above comment on reliability for a particular model (although Savagegeese does generally praise Toyota reliability)
Reliability should be reviewed or mentioned, but I get it, its not a concrete topic for new models unless you have a history for that particular iteration with some years behind it.
Also, I just googled MMarshal and could not find any youtubes.... anyone got a link?
Hard to comment about reliability when its something that a reviewer can't know since they don't own the car or test long term. There are plenty of sources for that information.

I personally have learned to basically ignore reliability as a factor. All modern cars today are basically reliable, if you're going to own a car 10+ years its more of a factor...but as a car enthusiast there is just so much more to like about a car than just reliability. For instance, Lexus has nothing that competes with the GV70...

Quick Reply: Best YouTube car reviewer