Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

florida close to banning cruising in left lane...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Watch the video I posted from Arizona. What the cop should do is stop the driver who is impeding the flow of traffic in the left lane because that is what improves roadway safety. Listen to what he says about why its not okay to drive in the left lane just because you are doing the speed limit. Again, we've talked about this...he's a Sheriff and you aren't...he knows what he's talking about...lets listen to him instead of pretending our opinions have value in the face of his training and experience.

I am for traffic enforcement that improves safety. Stopping drivers for speeding when they are doing a safe 85th percentile speed does not improve roadway safety, this does.
Yes, I watched the video before I made my last comment, and listened to the Sheriff. What he actually said in the video was correct....but was only part of the truth. What I said was also correct.....He did not point out the fact that the left-lane laws may contradict speed-limit laws, depending on who is going how fast or slow. That is not pretending that my opinion (or yours) has any more value than his, but stating a fact.
Old 02-20-24, 03:39 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I watched the video before I made my last comment, and listened to the Sheriff. What he actually said in the video was correct....but was only part of the truth. What I said was also correct.....He did not point out the fact that the left-lane laws may contradict speed-limit laws, depending on who is going how fast or slow. That is not pretending that my opinion (or yours) has any more value than his, but stating a fact.
If you see other Sheriff Lamb videos, he does explain it to drivers. He has a deputy who also has a YouTube channel. I like that they are educating people. Law enforcement knows people are going to speed. Sheriff Lamb does discuss the dangers of impeding traffic. Some people seem to cruise in the left lane to enforce the speed limit. It is not their job though and doing so is ill advised.

There are a lot of very aggressive drivers here in SoCal. On the way to Kernville, I was on 60 East in the HOV lane with two passengers in the car going 78 in a 65. Aggressive Altima Boy entered the HOV illegally across a bunch of painted lines and got right on my ***. I could not exit the HOV legally so I maintained my speed. I am not going more than 13 over or exiting illegally for some jackass because I know I will be the one who gets a ticket, not the jackass. As soon as it was legal to exit the HOV lane, I did so. I got the bird from both people in the 2.5L Altima and the guy drove like a menace after that. This is what you are potentially dealing with though and it’s much better to avoid it.

As an aside, the 2.5L Altima driver is probably in the <600 FICO department.
Old 02-20-24, 03:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the other issue, drivers no longer yield the left lane when you flash them, it infuriates them.
I feel your pain.
Old 02-20-24, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Again....he's a sheriff and you're not. So I don't see how you have any basis from which to say what he said was not the whole truth lol. When you get elected sheriff of a county somewhere then we'll talk.

He actually did point that out, and explained to the people who he stopped that the left lane law had nothing to do with the speed limit. Driving the speed limit is not an excuse to drive in the left lane when not passing.
Old 02-20-24, 03:51 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

just got back from a week-long vacation in FL and noticed how folks out there drive very differently than in CA. it's very obvious us californians are very poor (i.e. selfish) at driving, so i'm now more aware of my actions to not contribute to the stigma that CA drivers are terrible.

to the topic at hand, i've always been aware the left is for passing only. that's how it is in europe as stated already.
Old 02-20-24, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Again....he's a sheriff and you're not. So I don't see how you have any basis from which to say what he said was not the whole truth lol. When you get elected sheriff of a county somewhere then we'll talk.
Just because you personally don't see it does not make my comment invalid or untrue. If you want people to respect your comments, then respect theirs.

On a different note, since there are a lot of comments here about who are the "best" and "worst" drivers in various states (such as timmy0tool's, above), from what I have seen, although I have not driven in all 50 states, where I HAVE driven, mostly East of the Mississippi, I haven't really seen much difference in driver-quality from one state to another. It's not like drivers are all saints in one state and maniacs just across the border in another. In general, most drivers, regardless of where you are, are safe and sensible. I've seen a few exceptions here and there, like big semi-truckers going way over the limit and getting pulled over by State Troopers on the Ohio Turnpike, and people discourteous on the NJ Turnpike, but most drivers are generally courteous and sensible. As I have stated before, though, as far as individual vehicles go, in general, Ford Mustang V8 drivers and those in 3-series BMWs do tend to be more aggressive than average, but even those two vehicles have (mostly) safe drivers....you can't necessarily stereotype them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-24 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-20-24, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because you personally don't see it does not make my comment invalid or untrue. If you want people to respect your comments, then respect theirs.
He's a Sheriff. I believe him. A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion.
Old 02-20-24, 04:07 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
As an aside, the 2.5L Altima driver is probably in the <600 FICO department.
Redundant description is redundant.
Old 02-20-24, 04:36 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Redundant description is redundant.
Fair enough. This dude bought the whole Altima driver package. Hopefully, he didn’t pay extra for the broken windshield lol.
Old 02-21-24, 02:34 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I fully understand the intent of this law (and actually agree with part of it), but one potential problem is that it contradicts other traffic laws that state that the left lane is for the speed limit....NOT for speeding. So, If you have someone in the left lane who is obeying the law and doing the limit, and is holding up impatient or overzealous drivers behind him, then what does the cop do...enforce the speed-limit rule (which he or she may already be doing with radar or laser), or pull the driver over who is at the head of the line holding things up? Frankly, if I was a cop, I wouldn't want to be in that position.....and that was a situation that the sheriff in the video failed to take into account.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a contradiction in other traffic laws. Speed and lane discipline are two separate things. All lanes have to adhere to the speed limit. However, even if you're driving at the speed limit, common courtesy and lane discipline dictates that you're supposed to drive in the furthest lane to the right in which you can maintain your speed, and only use the left lane for overtaking. The practical exception to this is when traffic is heavy enough for all lanes to be used to maintain traffic flow, although generally the left lane traffic will be passing that on the right.

As for what a cop mightt do in your scenario, I guess it depends on what mood he's in. In theory he could book both, but in practice would have to pick one.
Old 02-21-24, 04:20 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't know where you are driving, but up and down the I-95 corridor, I can't think of anywhere that drivers have left lane discipline. Certainly not Virginia and north.

Returning from NY??? You must be kidding if you believe driving in NY is "smooth & easy".
I mean compared to Florida,new York I had issues more with the quality of roads than the drivers themselves lol. The best stretch for me was north and south carolina.

Edit: Didn't do much driving in NY apart from arriving at my destination and leaving. Used the subway for travelling while I was there.

Last edited by Blaze876; 02-21-24 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-21-24, 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BillUK
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a contradiction in other traffic laws. Speed and lane discipline are two separate things. All lanes have to adhere to the speed limit. However, even if you're driving at the speed limit, common courtesy and lane discipline dictates that you're supposed to drive in the furthest lane to the right in which you can maintain your speed, and only use the left lane for overtaking. The practical exception to this is when traffic is heavy enough for all lanes to be used to maintain traffic flow, although generally the left lane traffic will be passing that on the right.

As for what a cop mightt do in your scenario, I guess it depends on what mood he's in. In theory he could book both, but in practice would have to pick one.
Cop could pick both.

Reality is the majority of traffic cops understand that the speed limit is not the backbone of the roads safety. Hence why most cops won’t stop you unless you are driving faster than the average speed on the roadway. If it’s a 65 and the average speed is 75 and you’re doing 75-80, you’re not likely to be stopped even if you pass a cop. If the average speed is 65 and you’re doing 80, you’re going to get stopped. Cops use their judgement to decide when to stop people driving over the speed limit, and they choose not to stop the majority of those drivers because they are still driving safely.

What is dangerous is differentials in speed, it’s people driving faster than the other drivers around them or driving slower. That’s why the left lane campers are dangerous.
Old 02-21-24, 09:59 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Also just don't be a speed limit stickler.... Nobody enjoys that.

If you're going the speed limit in the right lane and someone passes you in the left lane, obviously exceeding the speed limit, only a weirdo would be upset by that.

What is upsetting is when someone in front of you has decided to insert themselves into your speed decision by blocking you from passing.
Old 02-21-24, 10:09 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,005 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Also just don't be a speed limit stickler.... Nobody enjoys that.

If you're going the speed limit in the right lane and someone passes you in the left lane, obviously exceeding the speed limit, only a weirdo would be upset by that.

What is upsetting is when someone in front of you has decided to insert themselves into your speed decision by blocking you from passing.
Interesting, I never thought of that!

No friggin wonder why people use the middle lane and set the cruise at exact speed limit and won't budge.

You really thinking they are trying to control people's speed on purpose?

If so, wow that's wild, hmmm
Old 02-21-24, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
You really thinking they are trying to control people's speed on purpose?

If so, wow that's wild, hmmm
There is an element of that for sure

Quick Reply: florida close to banning cruising in left lane...