Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

florida close to banning cruising in left lane...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 07:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts
Default florida close to banning cruising in left lane...

if final approval is approved, left lanes would be only for passing, hov, or turning. not sure how that will work on a lot of heavily congested highways... only the rightmost lanes are to be used?

According to the bill’s text, the proposed statute would prohibit drivers from using the furthermost lane on roads with two or more lanes at speeds of 65 mph or more.Drivers would be allowed to use the lane to pass other vehicles or when told to do so by a traffic control device. Left turn or high occupancy lanes would also not be covered by this law, passing the restriction to the lane to their immediate right.

Maintenance and emergency vehicles would also be exempt from this law.

The bill was referred to the Senate Rules Commission. If passed by the Senate and signed by the governor, the law would take effect at the beginning of 2025.
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/fl...ouse-approval/
Old 02-19-24, 07:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Thank god. All states need to do this
Old 02-19-24, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This rule, IMO, would only make sense on lightly-traveled roads with little traffic. With heavy traffic that is typical in and around big cities, it will only make a bad situation worse by forcing many drivers who would normally be cruising the left lane into the center and right lanes, increasing already bad congestion in those two lanes....and leaving the left lane almost useless.
Old 02-19-24, 09:26 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,005 Likes on 800 Posts

I'm not sure how much that fix anything here in Florida except for sparce sections that are over 3 lanes wide.

Now... if they ban people passing in the right hand slow lane, right on!

Extra bonus if they make truckers use the right hand lane only, except for passing, double right on!

Last edited by Margate330; 02-19-24 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-19-24, 09:29 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 197 Posts

That’s how it is in Italy and I hope how they drive there doesn't happen in Fl - they straddle the lanes. A quarter of the car will be into the inside lane, presumable to trick cameras or to say they were not driving in the lane, or maybe to move over quickly if they see the polizia. They have other nasty habits that drive me nuts when I was there on holiday last August.
Old 02-20-24, 03:26 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't believe the new law will have much effect at all. Law enforcement would have to prove- probably by camera- that you were just driving the left lane without intent to pass, and this would be only on roads with a speed limit of 65 or more, which leaves out most interstates passing through large populated areas in Florida:
The bill, HB317, would forbid any vehicle from continuous operation in the far left-hand lane of roadways with a posted speed of at least 65 mph. Exceptions would include overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing to turn left.
Old 02-20-24, 04:14 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This rule, IMO, would only make sense on lightly-traveled roads with little traffic. With heavy traffic that is typical in and around big cities, it will only make a bad situation worse by forcing many drivers who would normally be cruising the left lane into the center and right lanes, increasing already bad congestion in those two lanes....and leaving the left lane almost useless.
It's what the rule is here in the UK. In theory one is to stick to the innermost lane, and only use outer lanes for overtaking. As far as heavy traffic goes it makes no difference, as people obviously use all three lanes. Overtaking on the inside is illegal too.

Where it makes most sense is on medium density roads, where people are travelling at a little under the speed limit, at similar speeds, and yet hogging all three lanes. That said, despite the rule, lane discipine is poor in the UK, with people hogging the miiddle and outer lanes, even if traffic is light and the inner is clear. It's much better in places like France and Germany, where people move to the outer lane to overtake, and straight back over when they're done. Makes a lot sense, especially in Germany, where a car could be coming up in the outer lane at 180mph.
Old 02-20-24, 05:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

the problem in florida is with so many visitors here, most drivers won't know what the laws are anyway.
Old 02-20-24, 05:07 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't think your interpretation is correct. If you're in the left lane, as long as you're passing other cars you're abiding by the rule.

If you observe traffic, imo it will have a noticeably reduction in traffic if enforced. It's common in florida to be on the turnpike which is 2 lanes in one direction for long stretches and 2 cars are driving side by side for miles going under the speed limit with no one in sight infront of them. Can't blame the right lane driver but if I see that occurring I usually speed up / slow down so others can pass even though I am "in the right". On i95 people have to weave in and out of pretty much all lanes to get around slow drivers. It can be 5 lanes, often drivers have to pass on the inner most right lane because the other 4 lanes are people cruising at or under the speed limit. This weaving in and out of lanes causes others to brake for the "weaver" and resulting in a chain effect, which ends up being a big contributor to traffic build up.

I experience it atleast 2 times per week where I am in the left most lane, passing cars at around 80 mph and someone from the center lane doing 60 mph with NO ONE in front of them switches to the left lane.

Anyhow, I know even if passed this won't be enforced. I see so many traffic infractions done infront of florida police officers and they dont care. I am pretty sure Florida already has a law for the left lane is for passing as well so not sure how this one is any different.
Old 02-20-24, 05:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of states have this law. Pointless if they don't enforce it.
Old 02-20-24, 05:35 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
Driving in other states on the east coast is such a pleasure. I am not even exaggerating when I say, as soon as you pass the state line from Florida to Georgia the driving experience completely changes.

I remember the last time I was returning from new york, smooth, easy drive all the way. As soon as I saw the sign "Welcome to Florida" I got cut off right by the sign lol.
Old 02-20-24, 06:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

FL has some crazy drivers, so I think they're just trying to make laws to find more reasons to stop people. I drove the turnpike last year from Ocala to Pompano Beach. I must have seen 20 something cars going 15 under the speed limit in any random lane. That, plus all the debris that was scattered around, like the extension ladder sitting sprawled out in the middle of the road.

There's a law in IL, where you can get a ticket for impeding traffic in the left lane. If traffic flow is moving at say 70MPH in a 55 zone, and you're travelling at 55 in the left lane, you can get a ticket. I'm not sure how much they enforce that, but it's there. There's also a law forbidding semi's from driving in the left lane on a 3 lane highway. They ignore that all the time, though.
Old 02-20-24, 06:47 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Absolutely true. CA has a law stating the left lane is a passing lane, but it is not enforced so left lane bandits are commonplace. I have driven cross country four times. American drivers just seem to like driving in the left lane and don’t mind holding up traffic.
Old 02-20-24, 07:16 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
FL has some crazy drivers, so I think they're just trying to make laws to find more reasons to stop people. I drove the turnpike last year from Ocala to Pompano Beach. I must have seen 20 something cars going 15 under the speed limit in any random lane. That, plus all the debris that was scattered around, like the extension ladder sitting sprawled out in the middle of the road.

There's a law in IL, where you can get a ticket for impeding traffic in the left lane. If traffic flow is moving at say 70MPH in a 55 zone, and you're travelling at 55 in the left lane, you can get a ticket. I'm not sure how much they enforce that, but it's there. There's also a law forbidding semi's from driving in the left lane on a 3 lane highway. They ignore that all the time, though.
You know what I have noticed a lot recently, people driving uhauls in the left lane doing 55-60.
Old 02-20-24, 07:17 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

What is this woke non-sense in an anti-woke state? Im surprised they require a drivers license. This is going too far.
Mod hammer in 3,2,1...

Quick Reply: florida close to banning cruising in left lane...