Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Jeep in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 04:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think you see them everywhere because you like them, as we've discussed before there is a psychological construct at play here. There are probable more here than I see because I don't like them and they don't grab my attention like they do you.
So you still don't believe me? LOL. Exactly what I mean. Did you not read what I said? Normal day today and within literally two minutes to get to the light to the main road I passed two '13-'15 LX570s like mine. They're very popular here.

You have absolutely used what you see in your area though as an argument that the data we have discussed about sales is wrong, that lots of people buy big engines because the ones you see are the big engine even when we have the take rates right in front of us
Like the Yukon? They sell wayyyy more Denalis than regular which has the 6.2. I've said I *think* the best engine is part of the appeal.

I may have said it's crazy, etc etc. but I don't ignore sales numbers. You claim nobody wanted the 2.0t Accord and I said I see a lot. Not that sales numbers are wrong. Then you tell me that because the take rate was low they took it away, which may be true. But it used to not be. Every car had an optional V6 and the take rates were low then, too.
Old 02-21-24, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
So you still don't believe me? LOL. Exactly what I mean. Did you not read what I said? Normal day today and within literally two minutes to get to the light to the main road I passed two '13-'15 LX570s like mine. They're very popular here.
I believe you that they are very popular there, but I know that the red car effect is in play here too. Psychology is science.

Like the Yukon? They sell wayyyy more Denalis than regular which has the 6.2. I've said I *think* the best engine is part of the appeal.
Trucks are a different story, but the Accord for instance, they dropped the 2.0T because the take rate was really low. Really low take rate for the V6 Camry...etc.

Also, did you know that the take rate for the Denali in the Yukon is 54%? So no they don't selll WAAAAAAY more, about half of them are Denalis.

You claim nobody wanted the 2.0t Accord and I said I see a lot. Not that sales numbers are wrong. Then you tell me that because the take rate was low they took it away, which may be true. But it used to not be. Every car had an optional V6 and the take rates were low then, too.
Not may be true, it is true. This is the perfect example, you seeing a lot of them where you live means nothing, what matters is what the actual take rate nationally is.
Old 02-21-24, 04:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I believe you that they are very popular there, but I know that the red car effect is in play here too. Psychology is science.
OK...

Trucks are a different story, but the Accord for instance, they dropped the 2.0T because the take rate was really low. Really low take rate for the V6 Camry...etc..
Take rate was always low for the better engines years ago, that's all I've ever said. Fuel economy standards have changed all that. If CAFE didn't ruin cars the top-line 2024 Accord would have more than 204 horsepower. What you and I don't agree on is that everyone is fine with that, not the sales numbers.

Also, did you know that the take rate for the Denali in the Yukon is 54%? So no they don't selll WAAAAAAY more, about half of them are Denalis.
2 out of 3 Yukons sold are Denalis according to MT.

Not may be true, it is true. This is the perfect example, you seeing a lot of them where you live means nothing, what matters is what the actual take rate nationally is.
All I said was that take rate was always low for the better engines? What does this statement have to do with anything?
Old 02-21-24, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Take rate was always low for the better engines years ago, that's all I've ever said. Fuel economy standards have changed all that. If CAFE didn't ruin cars the top-line 2024 Accord would have more than 204 horsepower. What you and I don't agree on is that everyone is fine with that, not the sales numbers.
Years ago was years ago, peoples wants are different now. Its not just CAFE standards, when the bigger engines were available people didn't buy them. If people "weren't fine with that" then they would have bought the bigger engines when they were around. The #1 and #2 things buyers want today are safety and fuel efficiency.

You know whats not on there? Engine power. Only 13% of people rate "propulsion type" as important to them.

2 out of 3 Yukons sold are Denalis according to MT.
Yukon XLs...the Yukon the take rate is 54%. 63% for the XL. Big luxury SUV is a totally different buyer than a family sedan

All I said was that take rate was always low for the better engines? What does this statement have to do with anything?
Times change, what was important to buyers 10 years ago is not whats important to them today.
Old 02-21-24, 04:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Years ago was years ago, peoples wants are different now. Its not just CAFE standards, when the bigger engines were available people didn't buy them. If people "weren't fine with that" then they would have bought the bigger engines when they were around.

The #1 and #2 things buyers want today are safety and fuel efficiency.

Times change, what was important to buyers 10 years ago is not whats important to them today.
Again you miss my point. What was the problem of at least offering a better engine??? I don't care if you tell me people want efficiency and safety. There are still car people like us, just like back then. Just because they didn't overwhelm with sales doesn't mean they weren't desirable.

Also Yukon sales average $83-86k, that's Denali pricing.
Old 02-21-24, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Again you miss my point. What was the problem of at least offering a better engine??? I don't care if you tell me people want efficiency and safety. There are still car people like us, just like back then. Just because they didn't overwhelm with sales doesn't mean they weren't desirable.
Because its a business and they make what sells. It didn't make economic sense to offer that engine. Its completely understandable why Honda dropped the 2.0T, they don't make cars people who will never buy them want them to make.

\Also Yukon sales average $83-86k, that's Denali pricing.
54% of them are Denalis. Like it or not, those are the numbers. 63% of Yukon XLs.
Old 02-21-24, 05:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Because its a business and they make what sells. It didn't make economic sense to offer that engine.
Then why ever offer optional better engines at all, ever? These days are we all just all mindless vessels that want to be shoved into whatever is thrown at us?

54% of them are Denalis. Like it or not, those are the numbers. 63% of Yukon XLs.
What's your source? Mine is what I read in Motor Trend and GM directly. $83000-$86,000 is Denali money and that's the average price Yukons go for.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/10...nt-in-q3-2023/
Old 02-21-24, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then why ever offer optional better engines at all, ever? These days are we all just all mindless vessels that want to be shoved into whatever is thrown at us?
Because people buy them. If they don't buy them, they won't offer them.

People are not "mindless vessels" because they don't buy what you like. Vehicle manufacturers (like manufacturers of everything else) analyze what their customers buy and want and tailor their offerings to match.

What's your source? Mine is what I read in Motor Trend and GM directly. $83000-$86,000 is Denali money and that's the average price Yukons go for.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/10...nt-in-q3-2023/
GM press release reported by TheDrive

The most successful Denali models are the Yukon XL
with a Denali take rate of 63 percent, the standard Yukon at 54 percent

https://www.thedrive.com/article/176...ld-are-denalis
Old 02-21-24, 05:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Also Yukon sales average $83-86k, that's Denali pricing.
There are fixed costs to keeping a particular engine offering available in a car. If you don't sell enough of them to not only break even, but also make a profit on the overall offering of that engine, then there's no sense in offering it.

The majority of people who are buying cars like the Accord or Camry simply do not care about engines. Most of them can't tell you what engine their car has in it. It's not like the Mustang where people seek out the GT to get the V8. If being fast is important to you, you're almost certainly not shopping for an Accord at all.

This forum, or any car forum, for that matter, are not representative of the overall buying public. We're enthusiasts. We care about things like horsepower, acceleration, torque, etc.

Most people I know IRL just care about having the car be reliable, safe, and comfortable. Maybe the aesthetics as well in some cases.

Old 02-21-24, 05:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I asked my wife what kind of engine her car had, a 4 cyl, 6 cyl or 8 cyl and she said 4. It’s a 6 obviously. She has no idea nor does she care
Old 02-21-24, 07:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Gladiators and high spec wranglers here still have markups.
In the grand scheme of things, 128 days of average time on lot means that markups are anecdotal.

It is just stats.

Also, nationl average being 71 day on lot, let the discounts begin!
Old 02-21-24, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Bronco sales also dropped in 2023, though not nearly as much as the Wrangler. Wherever the Wrangler's sales went, they didn't go to Ford.

One thing, though, that certainly won't hurt.....Ford is now tossing in an extra $500-1000 rebate (depending on the area) to Jeep Owners who trade.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/01/20...t-jeep-owners/
Old 02-21-24, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
In the grand scheme of things, 128 days of average time on lot means that markups are anecdotal.

It is just stats.

Maybe I’m wrong about the markups, it’s been a while since I have been to a Jeep dealer
Old 02-21-24, 08:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,005 Likes on 800 Posts

I asked my wife what kind of engine her car had, a 4 cyl, 6 cyl or 8 cyl and she said 4. It’s a 6 obviously. She has no idea nor does she care
Typical women drivers... haha
It's not just a cliche'.

My wife has no idea how many cylinders.

Ask your wife the engine displacement in liters and see what she says and report back? haha

Originally Posted by spwolf

It is just stats.

128 days seems like they would be giving DEEP discounts, maybe they are t0o buried into them $$$ and they can't, just ideas...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing, though, that certainly won't hurt.....Ford is now tossing in an extra $500-1000 rebate (depending on the area) to Jeep Owners who trade.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/01/20...t-jeep-owners/
for $500-$100 off, that will ay for me a free tire shine package from the scammy dealer addons, whoopee. lol
Old 02-22-24, 07:25 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Gladiators have had healthy discounts in the last few months in my area.

Quick Reply: Is Jeep in trouble?