Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus ranks below BMW for reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 03:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm actually a little confused about the GMC....

When you go to start it up it starts just like a normal truck should and even shakes from the huge V8, just a bonus.

But then it's like there's a different setup for the start stop. It fires up instantly, not the same thing as when you start it at first when you leave.

I wonder what that's about. It's easily defeatable with a glorious physical button. It is seamless sometimes, but overall no.
Just engine management. The computer can monitor crankshaft and camshaft position and plan accordingly in a start/stop situation. Can’t do that when the car has been turned off and is turning back on.
Old 02-28-24, 03:34 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consumer Reports most reliable cars 2000 to 2023:

Old 02-28-24, 03:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've driven several cars with stop/start. I get the principal. When I'm driving to work in either my Tundra or GS, and am sitting at one of the several long lights, I just sit there and watch my trip mileage tick down lower and lower. It's obvious that it would save me fuel if I had it (and used it).

My father in-laws Durango has it and it's terrible. I turn it off when I drive it because I find it slow and intrusive. I can sort of defeat it by lessening my pressure on the brake pedal before just before the stoplight turns green, prompting the engine to come back on, but overall, it's terrible. Other cars are much quicker at restarting and I find them to be less annoying. I could get used to those.

My Highlander is a hybrid, and while the engine does often turn off at stop lights, I don't consider it to be an experience like the regular stop/start systems, as I can start moving under electric alone and not have to wait for the engine to restart. I don't have an issue with that at all.
Old 02-28-24, 03:49 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Ugh yeah the WK2 Grand Cherokee and the Durango stuck out to me as having very slow stop/start systems. I used to get them as rentals all the time.
Old 02-28-24, 05:27 PM
Aegean
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Toyota and Lexus reliability took a hit in the COVID years while BMW improved two models (3 and X5). Nevertheless, these are outliers and soon the law of averages will bring things back to previous status. BMW ownership without any type of extended warranty will likely continue to be more expensive than Lexus.

For example, my 2013 Lexus ES300h had a $58 repair in 11 years while my brother.s 2013 BMW 535 has a replacement engine, a new transfer case, turbos, several other repairs and leaks.
Old 02-28-24, 05:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

While I consider the euro brand to be fun and great cars, I have to give it to the Japanese cars for reliability.

Until I see more info, I think Lexus is the more reliable car in the long run for people who can't fix their own cars.

Especially over the 100k miles mark.

Yeah, for a new car who cares about reliability, it's under warranty anyway.
Old 02-28-24, 05:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aegean
Toyota and Lexus reliability took a hit in the COVID years while BMW improved two models (3 and X5). Nevertheless, these are outliers and soon the law of averages will bring things back to previous status. BMW ownership without any type of extended warranty will likely continue to be more expensive than Lexus.

For example, my 2013 Lexus ES300h had a $58 repair in 11 years while my brother.s 2013 BMW 535 has a replacement engine, a new transfer case, turbos, several other repairs and leaks.
You can’t discount that BMW has gotten better in areas outside of the 3-series and X5 though. The B58 I6 turbo engine that replaced the one in your brother’s 535i, for example, has proven to be very reliable. Same for its B48 I4 sibling. Both of those engines are found across BMW’s lineup and have done wonders for reliability ratings.
Old 02-28-24, 08:10 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Lexus ranks below BMW for reliability
Nice to know one single data point overwhelms decades of past (and I'm sure, future) studies, surveys, and personal anecdotes from literally thousands of Toyota/Lexus and BMW customers
Old 02-28-24, 09:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Nice to know one single data point overwhelms decades of past (and I'm sure, future) studies, surveys, and personal anecdotes from literally thousands of Toyota/Lexus and BMW customers
The measure is not reliability alone, that is one part of it. Its an overall score that uses road test scores, owner satisfaction, and reliability as a part of it.

I can tell you after 22 years of owning Lexus vehicles and now having a Mercedes, it would be hard for me to go back to Lexus. Sure the reliability long term is a bigger question mark but overall the product is much better,
Old 02-28-24, 09:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm actually a little confused about the GMC....

When you go to start it up it starts just like a normal truck should and even shakes from the huge V8, just a bonus.

But then it's like there's a different setup for the start stop. It fires up instantly, not the same thing as when you start it at first when you leave.

I wonder what that's about. It's easily defeatable with a glorious physical button. It is seamless sometimes, but overall no.
Two reasons, first is that initial start is aggressive to light off the cats quickly and because everything is cold and it takes a minute or two for pistons etc to thermally stabilize. Second is they intentionally engineer that in because people like it...

When it's warm the first list of reasons doesn't apply and the engine will already be fully smoothed out, the only thing that's restarting is oil pressure.
Old 02-29-24, 07:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The measure is not reliability alone, that is one part of it. Its an overall score that uses road test scores, owner satisfaction, and reliability as a part of it.

I can tell you after 22 years of owning Lexus vehicles and now having a Mercedes, it would be hard for me to go back to Lexus. Sure the reliability long term is a bigger question mark but overall the product is much better,
The thread title is a little misleading since the chart that's posted covers those other areas too. Just looking at Reliability only Lexus is doing fine vs. other brands.
Old 02-29-24, 09:14 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Because there’s nothing good about the current offerings, maybe apart from the GX.
Old 02-29-24, 09:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Because there’s nothing good about the current offerings, maybe apart from the GX.
LC and RCF
Old 02-29-24, 10:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Once again, the Consumer Reports ranking is not reliability. It's an amalgamative category called "Best Cars". It includes not just reliability, but owner satisfaction and CR's own subjective views on the cars.

My wife and I are on our second BMW. We had a 2021 330i, and now we have a 2023 X3. Both have been fabulous vehicles, and largely reliable. However, while my Lexus cars have had literally zero faults apart from the occasional noise (that ended up being a non-issue in each case), the BMWs have not been faultless. Our 330i's power kick-to-open trunk mechanism stopped working after about 3 months of ownership. (We got it replaced under warranty, and it never had any further problems.) Our X3's sunroof started making a terrible tapping noise about 4-5 months into ownership. (We also got that fixed under warranty.) Also, Android Auto has been pretty flaky on both cars. Sometimes we have to manually reconnect the phone for no apparent reason, which also sometimes doesn't work. So, in those cases, we have to reboot the car's infotainment system (not the same as turning the car off and back on again). The Lexus infotainment system has never had any issues connecting to my phone.

I am just one guy, though, and honestly, I'd buy another BMW. They are very nice cars to drive, which outweighs the slight issues from time to time.
Old 02-29-24, 10:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Two reasons, first is that initial start is aggressive to light off the cats quickly and because everything is cold and it takes a minute or two for pistons etc to thermally stabilize. Second is they intentionally engineer that in because people like it...

When it's warm the first list of reasons doesn't apply and the engine will already be fully smoothed out, the only thing that's restarting is oil pressure.
Neat! It's not like this in all vehicles bc my BIL's Nautilus, hit the start button and it (2.0t) instantly buzzed on like it was a "start/stop" start.

It has crossed my mind that it's like that way on purpose, the Denali cold starting. At least they have engineers who know what people like. I also have to point out that everybody knows half of the engineers of this stupid stuff like start/stop are shaking their heads along with us. They don't honestly think people want cars that shut off at lights....

Quick Reply: Lexus ranks below BMW for reliability