Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hmmmm......(mechanics customer complaint video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 07:58 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

haven't corvettes used electronic door latches for like 20 years now? the C6 convertible i once drove had buttons to open the doors
Old 02-29-24, 10:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Touch to unlock = great!
Touch to OPEN = bad! unnecessary! waste of $$!

Champion tech you like; rail on tech you don't--then call others names. Classy.
Touch to open? Uh no........you still need to pull the door open on this. It doesn't just open itself lol! YOU ARE DOING THE EXACT SAME MOTION. That's why I am critical of this, if you can't see that you are doing the exact same thing as the end user then I can't explain it anymore.
Old 02-29-24, 10:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
Maybe that's true. I don't disagree that people who are unaware of their surroundings should do better. However, I think we both know that adding layers of safety on top of our own responsibility is a nice thing to have. You could argue someone like me who is too stupid to be able to control a high-horsepower RWD vehicle should not be driving it. Yet, because of traction control and stability control, I feel the confidence to be able to actually enjoy it and not be terrified to use the gas pedal when I need or want to. You could argue that people who are too stupid to know where the corners of their cars are shouldn't be reversing into parking spaces and potentially backing over something or hitting something, but a 360 camera just makes the whole process that much easier and precise. I could go on all day.

And the ironic thing is - maybe people who don't understand their door handles shouldn't be driving.
A 360 cam fundamentally changes how the car parks, it allows a lot less skill in parking and to park vehicles you have never driven before with ease......this however doesn't change a thing with how to open a door. You still grab the handle and pull it open or closed.

As far as the driving skill thing yeah, you should ideally know how the car acts and practice with it till you know. I took a week or so learning the W12 so I can 4 wheel drift it accurately enough to do a full roundabout with it at will, before that point I didn't push it hard or drive with the assists off. Stuff like auto braking and lane centering/warning I just always kept and keep off, they suck.
Old 02-29-24, 10:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
I actually kind of dig them. Just had a loaner RX with these handles. They were super easy to get used to, had a premium feel, and (at least from the inside), I thought the "backup/emergency" function appeared pretty obvious. One off cases happen, but if this becomes a trend, then yes, there will be some educating or revising that needs to take place.
Eh, I prefer a high end mechanical latch with a distinct feel. For cheap cars sure, just touchscreen and button up everything since that is the hype and is much cheaper to make. I prefer a metal handle with a good strike/release sound and smooth or crisp feel, but that costs more so I'm not surprised at all they are going to electronic. Simple little electronic laches like that are only a few dollars and ALL the cars can use the same controllers and internal parts with a 50 cent button on top inside to differentiate models/trims, it's not physical high end latches that they need to bidirectionally damp the handle, make it out of metal and form the door around it etc etc etc.....all things that take more money on top of needing physical steel cables that cost way more than a tiny gauge wire.

This is just cost cutting with a "feature" slapped on top combined with marketing. You can have the EXACT same effect with a physical handle and a disable system tied into the cameras and radars, both my A8s have a electronic override of the rear door controls that allow me to lock them out from my seat. You can easily just tie that in to the assists and have the existing system just lock out the doors when it sees "something" there and flash a warning with a tone etc.....this entire e-handle is purely to cut the costs down. It doesn't add anything ability wise, it just makes everything cheaper to produce.

I have nothing against systems that improve and expand what the car can do, soft close and power close systems are a great example since they allow you to very elegantly close doors and never have to re-strike if you didn't swing it hard enough. Matrix headlights, good ACC systems (cheap ones are just worse than manually driving) good sonar/camera systems, TVDs, carbon brakes, variable steering etc etc etc.

Those all actually change how you interact with the car for the better, this E-handle system doesn't do anything that wasn't already possible nor does it alter how you interact. It's just cost cutting.
Old 03-01-24, 05:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
haven't corvettes used electronic door latches for like 20 years now? the C6 convertible i once drove had buttons to open the doors
Exactly. Is it "unnecessary" tech? Probably - lots of tech is unnecessary. We have lots of members here that subscribe to "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
But unnecessary doesn't mean the sky is falling.
Old 03-01-24, 06:57 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Stuff like auto braking and lane centering/warning I just always kept and keep off, they suck.
I turned all that lane assist/LDA crap off on my rental Camry after it kept trying to steer me into the other lane. No thank you I am fully capable of steering the car myself.
Old 03-01-24, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Touch to open? Uh no........you still need to pull the door open on this. It doesn't just open itself lol! YOU ARE DOING THE EXACT SAME MOTION. That's why I am critical of this, if you can't see that you are doing the exact same thing as the end user then I can't explain it anymore.
I just don't see how it improves the process of opening the door in any way...
Old 03-01-24, 07:44 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

It does not improve the process of opening the door. It does allow Lexus to design a more streamlined door card with no obvious levers. It wouldn’t stop me from buying a 5RX, but the new 4 cyl. And the new touchscreen make it significantly less appealing to me.
Old 03-01-24, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Levers aren’t a big deal for me lol
Old 03-01-24, 09:18 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

The lever doesn’t bother me either. But I’m saying the Lexus designers want the interior to appear more minimalist and Tesla-like. I prefer the 4RX interior with traditional levers, ***** and RTI. But the exterior of the new RX looks way better…..
Old 03-01-24, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Wait. What's the point of the manual releases if you went to digital control? That sounds like you just have both for no reason now?
not at all. digital control provides convenience and refinement. manual releases are a backup if digital control fails.

Missed my point.....if there is STILL a physical release then why have a digital system at all? Totally pointless and just adds cost
audis have zillions of features many would call pointless and a waste of money, but you love 'em.

if you are too idiotic to look before you open a door then you shouldn't be driving.
i guess you never make mistakes.

Because it allows touch to unlock? Is that a trick question or are you being inane?
not nice.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
ehh i know the firefighter type... they'll look for any reason to smash a window or break out the other firefighter tools (jaws of life, etc...) that they all can't wait to use whenever possible lol
ha, so true.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
The lever doesn’t bother me either. But I’m saying the Lexus designers want the interior to appear more minimalist and Tesla-like.
no doubt.
Old 03-02-24, 06:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The point is to prevent accidentally opening the doors when it is unsafe to do so, such as when there is an oncoming vehicle or cyclist.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/e-latch-system/

There's potential here to also allow for electronically opening the doors as well, like we've seen in Teslas or BMW 7-series, etc. Maybe it's not fully realized here in the NX...
‘I have a feeling that the safety feature will one day become law or standard in many markets. I believe Hyundai has a similar feature as well. So I see why they have them. I really like the outside door pulls and how they open. Indifferent on the interior
Old 03-02-24, 12:42 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Going back to the video and the person who couldn't get out of her 5RX. Did she not take it for a test drive before purchasing and see that the door handles work differently?
Old 03-02-24, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There was a fault in the electronic door handles, she didn’t know how the emergency release handles worked nor did the firefighters that cut her out of it
Old 03-02-24, 01:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don’t see the big concern

Quick Reply: Hmmmm......(mechanics customer complaint video)