Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hmmmm......(mechanics customer complaint video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 09:08 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘Is this current set up in the Tesla? Never knew Viper had electric door latches
Yes it is the current setup in my refreshed ‘22 Tesla Plaid.
Old 03-03-24, 09:54 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I will guess the OP's video just scratches the surface of what the owners of their cars do.

I wish more mechanics would take videos of the funny(and not so funny) stuff they see. Lol

I had a neighbor when I was in high school but a car new and drove it over 70k until the engine seized.

What killed the engine?
He never did an oil change or checked the oil, EVER! Haha
Old 03-03-24, 09:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yes it is the current setup in my refreshed ‘22 Tesla Plaid.
That is a unique place to put them in the back of your Tesla. I am assuming they are placed there to prevent a child from mechanically overriding a child safety door lock that is engaged, unlike the front. I pretty sure all four doors unlock in the event of a crash…total loss of electrical power would be the nightmare scenario
Old 03-03-24, 10:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I will guess the OP's video just scratches the surface of what the owners of their cars do.

I wish more mechanics would take videos of the funny(and not so funny) stuff they see. Lol

I had a neighbor when I was in high school but a car new and drove it over 70k until the engine seized.

What killed the engine?
He never did an oil change or checked the oil, EVER! Haha
Subscribe to that "Just Rolled In" you tube channel, there are a ton of them. Hilarious.
Old 03-03-24, 10:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Subscribe to that "Just Rolled In" you tube channel, there are a ton of them. Hilarious.
that must be based off the just rolled into the shop subreddit, been subscribed to that one for years haha... actually just recently saw this post which may even be useful to you

@Striker223 what's going on here, mr. VW/audi group gruppe
Old 03-04-24, 06:46 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That’s weird because VW doesn’t actually make batteries. Most of them are made by Varta. But this is a topic that probably needs to be moved to the general car chat….

Last edited by Carfan94; 03-04-24 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-04-24, 10:53 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Yeah these manual door levers are hiddem, not obvious. You also have passengers in your cars who are not familiar with their operation...just a dumb idea,
100% agree. One of the most stupid designs I have seen. It’s going to cost lives not save them.

Safety systems should save the passengers in the car as a priority, other users of the road should be secondary.

Old 03-04-24, 01:28 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

According to Lexus, they developed the e-latch systems for two reasons -- 1) to integrate them with a safety system to prevent Lexus owners from hitting vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists while opening doors, and 2) because the ergonomics of opening the e-latches (touch and pulling the handle, thumb press and opening the doors) are easier for folks with reduced motor skills (hand, wrist, and arm issues).

I wrote about it last year -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...-door-handles/

That being said, I can understand how folks would miss the manual backups, especially when stressed. I can't unsee the little logo (it's a 2x and an arrow) on the buttons that indicate that they are also handles... but most people I've driven in a Lexus NX, RX, or TX press loaner don't get it at first.
Old 03-04-24, 01:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

People could take a tiny bit of responsibility for their own safety.
Old 03-04-24, 01:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I had a friend stop by my house this past weekend to pick something up from us. She came in and said "did you see my new car?" So excited, I love it! I went out there and she had traded her Buick Enclave for an RX500h F Sport Performance. "It's so fun!" I looked again at her door handles, again confirmed there's a label showing you can pull them, and I asked her about them. I said "what do you do if the latch doesn't work?" Her response, "oh, there's a backup, you just pull it. Do you see the sticker?" She's not tech savvy, nor particularly young.
Old 03-04-24, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carfan94
That’s weird because VW doesn’t actually make batteries. Most of them are made by Varta. But this is a topic that probably needs to be moved to the general car chat….
No car company makes batteries. They all come from a few manufacturers.

Originally Posted by MPalmer
According to Lexus, they developed the e-latch systems for two reasons -- 1) to integrate them with a safety system to prevent Lexus owners from hitting vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists while opening doors, and 2) because the ergonomics of opening the e-latches (touch and pulling the handle, thumb press and opening the doors) are easier for folks with reduced motor skills (hand, wrist, and arm issues).

I wrote about it last year -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...-door-handles/

That being said, I can understand how folks would miss the manual backups, especially when stressed. I can't unsee the little logo (it's a 2x and an arrow) on the buttons that indicate that they are also handles... but most people I've driven in a Lexus NX, RX, or TX press loaner don't get it at first.
This is just marketing speak...they developed them because thats whats cool and in.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
People could take a tiny bit of responsibility for their own safety.
Or carmakers could design control interfaces based on what works the best not what is the most fashionable.

I shouldn't have to ask how to get out of the vehicle in an emergency, it should be plainly obvious.
Old 03-04-24, 03:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
for the safety features to work. You need the digital latches
Not true at all. You can have normal latches with electronic locking override like I have on two of my cars.
Old 03-04-24, 03:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that must be based off the just rolled into the shop subreddit, been subscribed to that one for years haha... actually just recently saw this post which may even be useful to you

@Striker223 what's going on here, mr. VW/audi group gruppe
It's Varta group batteries, they supply for everyone over there and it's probably just a miss-label issue
Old 03-04-24, 04:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I shouldn't have to ask how to get out of the vehicle in an emergency, it should be plainly obvious.
Have you tried these latches yet? Because to me, it was incredibly obvious.
Old 03-04-24, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Have you tried these latches yet? Because to me, it was incredibly obvious.
Oh yeah, I've driven all kinds of cars with them, but have you tried to get out of one with the battery dead after a crash or something like that? How about in a car thats sinking in a lake? Or thats on fire? Its fine to say you should familiarize yourself with the emergency release levers in your own car, but what about a passenger? Or a child?

Quick Reply: Hmmmm......(mechanics customer complaint video)