Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

rusted Steel brake pipes(lines) leaking need advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 04:04 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Just make new lines with a forming tool, use 305 stainless if you never want to have to do it again.
Thanks for the suggestion,unfortunately city town mechanic,

doesnt have machine and tool, and the shop which have machine can work with aluminium or only copper brake lines nothing else, they have no other material or options unfortunately.
I found 1 company in europe, which can make stainless steel lines, but my car is 30years + old and left hand drive and they make for right hand drive cars only i emailed them, hopefully if they can make for my old rusty bucket stainless steel + teflon coating brake lines they will last at least 10 years hopefully.
Old 03-02-24, 04:34 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Whew, just whew…brake pipes…copper even!
Old 03-03-24, 02:30 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Whew, just whew…brake pipes…copper even!
I had no idea copper brake lines existed.

Seems it would work better for low pressure plumbing.
It's a very soft metal.
Old 03-03-24, 02:32 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Margate330
I had no idea copper brake lines existed.

Seems it would work better for low pressure plumbing.
It's a very soft metal.
There is a claim, copper brake lines and aluminium brake lines, are not good for pressure and not long lasting... but i got no experience from any of these... so just rumours in case someone replaced with some material , just choose the best one for me please.Should i try to stick with steel again?
Old 03-03-24, 04:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Post a picture of your rusted lines.
Old 03-03-24, 04:29 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Post a picture of your rusted lines.
this is all pictures i have, brake lines are above plastic shield, plastic cover. here are photos you can see the leak where wet is, also my master brake cylinder fluid is empty and when i fill it with fluid it goes empty for a day....

Old 03-03-24, 04:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

The break on those is near the rear right wheel, you can patch it with a 8 inch section or so. I've done dozens of cars like that....

Its extremely simple to form new brake lines for an application like that, no weird routing or difficult access.
Old 03-03-24, 04:40 PM
bladest
Instructor

The break on those is near the rear right wheel, you can patch it with a 8 inch section or so. I've done dozens of cars like that....

Its extremely simple to form new brake lines for an application like that, no weird routing or difficult access.
Unfortunately mechanics here in my country want to replace both pipes, with brand new ones made from aluminium, no option to patch , my car had tons of rust, for example all of the exhaust system, was eaten from the rust, most of the suspention was eaten from the rust,
brakes, brake disks,brake shields was also eaten by the rust and many other parts most of the things are replaced ,for example radiators for ac and water was replaced at least 2 times due to the rust, one of them was aluminium and also eaten from the sever corrosion...
In order, brake lines fully to be replaced mechanics told me engine need to drop off, also car have lpg installation - which is liquid gas and also brake master needs probably to be removed... in order to provide access.... and these bolts are 30 + years old. some of them can snap... and the rear brake lines are very very long...
Old 03-03-24, 04:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Then they are incompetent. Plain and simple. I could do line replacement on your car in a parking lot it's so easy.....

Brake lines have to be some sort of steel IMO, it's not a good idea to use a softer metal.
Old 03-03-24, 04:52 PM
bladest
Instructor

Then they are incompetent. Plain and simple. I could do line replacement on your car in a parking lot it's so easy.....

Brake lines have to be some sort of steel IMO, it's not a good idea to use a softer metal.
I agree with you they are incompetent , unfortunately not many people in my country likes to work on japanese cars, which are very ancient and old.... so not much of a choise... if you have a friend with shop, or someone who can do it in BGi will gladly PAY HIM! If you open here repair shop you can became a millioner most mechanics are terrible and very incompentent i remember 1 place changing my tyres brake all of my lug nuts screws so i had to replace them at my own expense.... Ok so i will begging the companies who make stainless steel somehow to make for my car otherwise i am screwed...
and i will need to write off the car if i dont find such material steel or stainless steel.
Old 03-03-24, 04:57 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 830 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
Ok so i will begging the companies who make stainless steel somehow to make for my car otherwise i am screwed...
and i will need to write off the car if i dont find such material steel or stainless steel.
Just buy new original equipment, they will outlast your car.
Old 03-03-24, 05:00 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gerf
Just buy new original equipment, they will outlast your car.
As i mentioned somewhere,
Original brake lines are no longer in production car is more than 30 years old, no longer in production , these parts brake lines was offered only as genuine no aftermarket option and they are sadly long time ago discontinued and no where to be found so i rely to people who can produce them, scrap yard long time ago put these cars for recycling so not much luck there as well..
Specially for this part.
my only hope is the stainless steel, producers to be able to make some product from abroad for my rusty bucket, otherwise its a write off,and i am still waiting for parts for my hail damaged Lexus...
may be in the end of the summer or autumn i will be able to drive it...
Old 03-03-24, 05:22 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 830 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
i am still waiting for parts for my hail damaged Lexus...may be in the end of the summer or autumn i will be able to drive it...
So, you have something to look forward to.
Old 03-03-24, 05:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

What year and type of car? I'm severely temped to form a set of lines and ship them to you lol!

It's really not hard to do. Surely there has to be someone around you who knows how to form brake lines?
Old 03-03-24, 05:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

What year and type of car? I'm severely temped to form a set of lines and ship them to you lol!
Good luck. This person posts dozens of threads with no resolution to anything only an endless round and round of impossible situations.

Quick Reply: rusted Steel brake pipes(lines) leaking need advice?