Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Choice of hybrids vs ICE is dependent on price points

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 06:31 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Choice of hybrids vs ICE is dependent on price points

I was interested in percent adoption of the electrified versions of different models, and used allocation sales data for the NX, RX, and TX for 2024. The NX is the least expensive, and the TX the most expensive base. The result was not really surprising, but interesting anyways.

It seems that above a certain price point, the increasingly expensive base, and the 3- row TX the most expensive.

The assumption is that this reticence is due to increasing total price (as you go from NX to RX to TX), and not due to the fact there is some demographic difference between the buyers.

Below is the data:

NX 49%
NX HEV 43%
NX PHEV 8%

RX 66%
RX HEV 29%
RX PHEV 5%

TX 86%
TX HEV 13%
TX PHEV 1%

Last edited by asj2024; 03-03-24 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 06:34 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Toyota hybrid sales limitations (especially PHEV's) are more due to lack of inventory than demand.
Old 03-03-24, 07:14 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by Motorola
Toyota hybrid sales limitations (especially PHEV's) are more due to lack of inventory than demand.
Yeah, that was true for a bit, probably especially beginning of year, but the differences between the NX, RX, and TX are interesting, given that the TX is the most expensive and the NX the least.

Anecdotally, I have read people who despise the electrified options and would never buy one, so there's that, but I can't imagine that is dependent on buying power.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-03-24 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 07:23 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Yeah, that was true for a bit, probably especially beginning of year, but the differences between the NX, RX, and TX are interesting, given that the TX is the most expensive and the NX the least.

Anecdotally, I have read people who despise the electrified options and would never buy one, so there's that, but I can't imagine that is dependent on buying power.
Toyota hybrid sales have went up significantly recently so I can't imagine that the anecdotes apply to the actual buying public. Many Toyota hybrids are still being sold well above sticker.
Old 03-03-24, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I was interested in percent adoption of the electrified versions of different models, and used allocation sales data for the NX, RX, and TX for 2024. The NX is the least expensive, and the TX the most expensive base. The result was not really surprising, but interesting anyways.

It seems that above a certain price point, the increasingly expensive base, and the 3- row TX the most expensive.

The assumption is that this reticence is due to increasing total price (as you go from NX to RX to TX), and not due to the fact there is some demographic difference between the buyers.

Below is the data:

NX 49%
NX HEV 43%
NX PHEV 8%

RX 66%
RX HEV 29%
RX PHEV 5%

TX 86%
TX HEV 13%
TX PHEV 1%
What are you exactly referring to?

Anecdotally, I have read people who despise the electrified options and would never buy one, so there's that, but I can't imagine that is dependent on buying power
The added complexity to some is not worth the addition of hybrid components. I see that argument quite well
Old 03-03-24, 09:06 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by Motorola
Toyota hybrid sales have went up significantly recently so I can't imagine that the anecdotes apply to the actual buying public. Many Toyota hybrids are still being sold well above sticker.
Probably would apply more to car enthusiasts...especially the ones who hated the V6 starting to go away.

And I know the RX 450h+ is at MSRP or above most times (after being out for 6 months or so), although some dealerships in CA (the ones with tons of inventory) have marked them down. I've also seen markups of $8k or more lol
Old 03-03-24, 09:11 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
What are you exactly referring to?
The base prices of the NX, RX, and TX go from least expensive to most expensive, and so too do the HEV and PHEV versions of each.

In the case of the PHEV for example, the RX I believe is $10k more than the NX, and the TX is $7k or 8k more than the RX 450h+

If you look at the adoption rate of the PHEVs, they correlate well (inversely) with the price increase.

PHEV adoption is highest in NX at 8% (with $60k starting price), then it drops to 5% for the RX (with $70.5k starting price), and then only 1% for the TX, which starts at $78k.

Same relationship seems to hold for the HEV versions of each.

Saying that, one factor that might complicate this is the introduction date of each. The TX came in later, but am not sure, and the NX I believe includes new sales of 2023 versions, so the PHEV version of the NX has been out there longest.
Old 03-03-24, 09:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The base prices of the NX, RX, and TX go from least expensive to most expensive, and so too do the HEV and PHEV versions of each.

In the case of the PHEV for example, the RX I believe is $10k more than the NX, and the TX is $7k or 8k more than the RX 450h+

If you look at the adoption rate of the PHEVs, they correlate well (inversely) with the price increase.

PHEV adoption is highest in NX at 8% (with $60k starting price), then it drops to 5% for the RX (with $70.5k starting price), and then only 1% for the TX, which starts at $78k.

Same relationship seems to hold for the HEV versions of each.

I think I see what you are saying. Buyers are less willing to buy the PHEV models in the TX as the price is significantly much much higher. So they downsize to the RX?
Old 03-03-24, 09:26 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I am considering a Porsche Cayenne S and there is an option to get a PHEV hybrid that only costs approximately $5k on top of the regular S but if you lease you get a $7,500 tax credit that more than covers the extra cost so I would get the PHEV, it is more efficient and performs a little better.
Old 03-03-24, 09:32 AM
asj2024
Advanced

I think I see what you are saying. Buyers are less willing to buy the PHEV models in the TX as the price is significantly much much higher. So they downsize to the RX?
Most TX buyers I assume need the third row (big family with kids), so they would not pick the RX, they would just pick the ICE version of the TX to save money.

On the other hand, NX buyers are not as reluctant to splurge money to get the HEV/PHEV versions due to the total price being not so high in absolute terms.

I just realized though, that in the RX, the HEV version is very close in price to the ICE version (around $2k...$50k vs $52k), so why the BIG difference in adoption (66% vs 29%)? This might be an indication at least some people are still leery of hybrids, as the drivetrains are different.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-03-24 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 09:39 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by patgilm
I am considering a Porsche Cayenne S and there is an option to get a PHEV hybrid that only costs approximately $5k on top of the regular S but if you lease you get a $7,500 tax credit that more than covers the extra cost so I would get the PHEV, it is more efficient and performs a little better.
That would be good, just need to make sure no penalties for early payoffs. I kinda regret not looking into that option more in my haste to get the color combo I wanted (the model is selling well at MSRP with some markups). I don't regret the car though. Awesome beautiful thing that I'm sure will last a long while.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-03-24 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 10:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most TX buyers I assume need the third row (big family with kids), so they would not pick the RX, they would just pick the ICE version of the TX to save money.t.
True

I just realized though, that in the RX, the HEV version is very close in price to the ICE version (around $2k...$50k vs $52k), so why the BIG difference in adoption (66% vs 29%)? This might be an indication at least some people are still leery of hybrids, as the drivetrains are different.
The regular gas and the HEV are two completely different experiences. There is also a 12MPG difference. Most people would prefer the sport aspirations of a turbo in the RX where the RX hybrid lacks. Cheaper MSRP usually wins

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-03-24 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 10:55 AM
asj2024
Advanced

True
The regular gas and the HEV are two completely different experiences. There is also a 12MPG difference. Most people would prefer the sport aspirations of a turbo in the RX where the RX hybrid lacks. Cheaper MSRP usually wins
The fun begins when you tell them the hybrid can take regular gas, but the ICE one cannot and has to use premium gas

Old 03-03-24, 10:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The fun begins when you tell them the hybrid can take regular gas, but the ICE one cannot and has to use premium gas
technically. The spec is premium fuel for all models in the RX range,
Old 03-03-24, 05:08 PM
asj2024
Advanced

technically. The spec is premium fuel for all models in the RX range,
Yep, minimum is 87 for hybrids other than the 500h, but recommended is 91 for optimum engine performance.

But you'd be surprised how many people are wondering about sticking in 87 even in the non hybrids given half the chance, maybe especially those who may be only leasing.

Quick Reply: Choice of hybrids vs ICE is dependent on price points