Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Top Brand Oil Are You Using In Your Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 09:27 AM
Gen2NX
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What Top Brand Oil Are You Using In Your Engine ?

I’m a good 3,000 miles from an oil change and looking at this 6 Gal box of synthetic oil . It’s a very good company with an excellent reputation for making quality petroleum products .
But before I buy it , I thought I would check in for some opinions from the Oil gurus here . So what your 2 cents ?

Old 03-03-24, 09:30 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Anything that meets spec works fine, I short change at 5k miles.

Whatever is on sale and meets, only exception are the Audis.
Old 03-03-24, 09:32 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I think all modern synthetic oils are excellent. There's a negligible difference between them.

I usually use Mobil 1 5W-30.

Last edited by LH1; 03-03-24 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 09:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

It's fine. Not high-end boutique stuff, not crap. If that package type works well for you, I'd have no qualms about using it. If not, it's about the same price as Penzoil Platinum in 5-quart jugs ($23.78 ea, or $19/gallon) at Walmart.
Old 03-03-24, 11:30 AM
Gen2NX
Driver

The only thing hold me back right now from the purchase is the fact that . I can’t find if it’s a ILSAC GF-6a grade oil . So I just sent them a text for the answer. But I do use their 20W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil in all my bikes, and I do buy it in the same box .
Old 03-03-24, 12:32 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I don't see 6a, just 6:

Meets / Exceeds: GM dexos1™ Gen 2, API SP, SN Plus, SN, SM, SL, ILSAC GF-6
https://www.lucasoil.com/pdf/PDS_Syn...-Motor-Oil.pdf
Old 03-03-24, 12:44 PM
Gen2NX
Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
Thanks for that link. It definitely was helpful . So now I just have to find out the difference of the. 6 ,6A , and the 6B .
edit : I found this

Last edited by Gen2NX; 03-03-24 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-03-24, 02:29 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

pennzoil platinum for me... it's the best balance of price vs actual performance, with respect to properties of lubricity, high temperature degradation, and cold temperature viscosity

just to be clear there is absolutely a "best" oil out there and it's AMSOIL, and this isn't an opinion it's the clear most quantifiably high performing oil out there bar none... however it's like 3x the price of the next best product and tbh it's just not worth it for the majority of applications
Old 03-03-24, 02:56 PM
Gen2NX
Driver

Originally Posted by Stroock639
pennzoil platinum for me... it's the best balance of price vs actual performance, with respect to properties of lubricity, high temperature degradation, and cold temperature viscosity

just to be clear there is absolutely a "best" oil out there and it's AMSOIL, and this isn't an opinion it's the clear most quantifiably high performing oil out there bar none... however it's like 3x the price of the next best product and tbh it's just not worth it for the majority of applications
I also find no need to spend top dollar for the best of the best . When there’s more than 5 top shelf brands that will work extremely well for much less . I leave the Amsoil to someone like Jay Leno’s to buy .
Old 03-03-24, 04:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

Oh yeah, I forgot about that lol! Yeah my truck uses their oil due to the engine it has now, as you said there is indeed an objective best but it's very expensive.
Old 03-03-24, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't do my own oil changes any more for several reasons, but did them myself (and for my mom) for decades. The dealership, today, uses GM-Brand full and semi-synthetic oil (or, maybe, whatever they can buy up in bulk at a lower pricer that meets warranty requirements)...but, when I did my own, I always liked Castrol GTX petroleum-based oil. Never had any problems with it.

I'm not sure about today, but I noticed that, for many years, the majority of NASCAR racing-teams used (mostly) one of three oil-brands...Valvoline, Castrol GTX, and Pennzoil....which gives an idea of how good they were.

Years ago, in the early 1980s, the Arco company marketed a brand of oil that had tiny microscopic dark graphite particles in it that (supposedly gave better lubrication from the graphite). I tried it a couple of times, but found that it can be a mess to use, difficult to drain all of the graphite-particles out of the engine and crankcase during a change, and, although I don't know this to be a fact, also heard that the graphite particles could prematurely clog up the oil filter element. I went back to regular Castrol GTX after that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-24 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-03-24, 05:06 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately most oil companies are scam,
they sale hydro cracking oil, for full syntetic,

the only good oils are ,
motul 300v,
penrite oil,

amsoil signature series, red line royal purple,

if people are on budget and are driving very old and normal car they can go with oem oils , they are cheap and quality enough if you replace them every 3000-miles and if you dont drive like a maniac they are still good..
Old 03-03-24, 05:16 PM
Gen2NX
Driver

Originally Posted by bladest
Unfortunately most oil companies are scam,
they sale hydro cracking oil, for full syntetic,

the only good oils are ,
motul 300v,
penrite oil,

amsoil signature series, red line royal purple,

if people are on budget and are driving very old and normal car they can go with oem oils , they are cheap and quality enough if you replace them every 3000-miles and if you dont drive like a maniac they are still good..
I’m fairly sure that royal purple is owned by Lucas as a sub brand .
Old 03-03-24, 05:18 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 830 Likes on 613 Posts

I thought Amsoil couldn't be worth the price before I tried it but now I use it for my car and truck, don't have any oil analysis or anything but it just seems to make my vehicles run smoother and quieter. Pennzoil ultra was pretty good but I won't use Mobil1 again, probably have to give it away.

Old 03-03-24, 05:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Amsoil is king for winter weather I've tried probably 10 different oils it has the best cold start performance. Royal Purple motor oil is the worst I've ever tried. Junk.

Quick Reply: What Top Brand Oil Are You Using In Your Engine ?