Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Dodge Charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 07:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Im still betting they will deploy a new cleaner V8 with twins later in the year, it's just not like dodge to not have one.
Lol that is wishful thinking. They are absolutely not doing that.
Old 03-07-24, 08:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Yeah, we don't need fake exhaust sounds.

If driving an EV, embrace the quiet.
If driving ice, make it sound mean, for a muscle car if course.

My rx330 get a quiet exhaust. Lol
It can't pretend to be something that it's not. Haha
If I drove an EV I would own the silence.
Old 03-07-24, 08:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Stellantis will never develop a new V8. CAFE is here and they can't just keep buying credits from Tesla.

The twin turbo I6 is going to beat the hell out of the Hemi in performance.
Old 03-07-24, 08:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Lol that is wishful thinking. They are absolutely not doing that.
Maybe, back in the day they had the 4.7 as the next gen architecture and then out of nowhere they brought the hemi back. Plus Chrysler has done more insane decisions before....
Old 03-07-24, 08:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Stellantis will never develop a new V8. CAFE is here and they can't just keep buying credits from Tesla.

It just can't, the hemi is way better at making power. A TT hemi is a 1000WHP engine, they are far better when it comes to that but the new one will be better for OTS tuned and mid tier power/easy gains
Old 03-08-24, 04:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker223
Maybe, back in the day they had the 4.7 as the next gen architecture and then out of nowhere they brought the hemi back. Plus Chrysler has done more insane decisions before....
The Hemi and 4.7 coexisted though, and it was really a replacement for the 5.9L V8 and the 4.7L V8 was a replacement for the 5.2L V8.

The Stellantis CEO is hell bent on not paying Tesla for any credits and that’s the huge reason why any talk of new V8 development is off the table. They’re even building the Hurricane engines on the old Hemi production line. If they were working on a new V8 we’d know about it already.
Old 03-08-24, 05:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
The 2-door reminds of when '95 Camry had a 2-door version based on the 4-door and think Chrysler did it with the Sebring. Two doors on a 4-door body looks odd to me.
The Sebring was an even odder case. The Convertible and the Cirrus sedan (renamed Sebring sedan for the 2nd generation) were both based on the JA platform, while the coupe was built on the FJ platform introduced for the Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Old 03-08-24, 05:53 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

The Hemi and 4.7 coexisted though, and it was really a replacement for the 5.9L V8 and the 4.7L V8 was a replacement for the 5.2L V8.
Right. The "PowerTech" was Chrysler's modular engine platform. They introduced the 4.7L V8, and then shortly thereafter the 3.7L V6, which was just the 8 with two cylinders lopped off and a slightly longer stroke. If they were going to introduce another engine in that series, it likely would have been a 5.9-6.2L V10 (depending on which stroke length they selected), because a 4.9L V8 wouldn't have been differentiated enough to bother with.

So instead we got the 5.7L Hemi in 2003. But as you note, that wasn't a replacement, and the PowerTech continued on for another decade, finally being retired in 2013 after 15 years and 3 million units.
Old 03-08-24, 07:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

A twin turbo inline 6 is not that much more fuel efficient than a modern V8.

People buy these cars for their heritage, sound and value.

So now you have a much heavier, more complex and much more expensive car that most likely will provide similar performance with not much more efficiency.
Old 03-08-24, 07:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

Well isn’t that what the EV models are for to lower the fleet emissions for Stellantis. They should have came out with EV Chrysler version and left Dodge brand as ICE. They don’t understand the American market at all.
Old 03-08-24, 07:43 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually really like this new Charger. Although the elephantine size and weight is a bit concerning….

If this thing has nice interior colors, and nice enough luxury features I could consider it. As for the engine noise, give me real engine noise or give me the sweet silence of an ev motor. Fake noise is dumb and it would be promptly turned off permanently.
Old 03-08-24, 07:53 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
They should have came out with EV Chrysler version and left Dodge brand as ICE.
That would have been a way better idea.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I actually really like this new Charger. Although the elephantine size and weight is a bit concerning….
It's a mixed bag for me. I won't be too harsh on it until I see it in person. The 5,800+ weight is lol. This thing will be over 3 tons once most people sit in it.

Old 03-08-24, 10:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Well isn’t that what the EV models are for to lower the fleet emissions for Stellantis. They should have came out with EV Chrysler version and left Dodge brand as ICE. They don’t understand the American market at all.
They can’t just rely on EVs from another brand on the umbrella to meet their goals. That is a poor strategy. Giving Dodge owners a choice is smart, although I do question them leading with the EV vs. ICE. Dodge’s brand CEO is a 31 year Chrysler veteran, not some European that’s never touched foot on American soil.

A twin turbo inline 6 is not that much more fuel efficient than a modern V8.

People buy these cars for their heritage, sound and value.

So now you have a much heavier, more complex and much more expensive car that most likely will provide similar performance with not much more efficiency.
You don’t even know the pricing of the ICE variants to say it’s much more expensive. And the Hurricane I6 is more efficient with less emissions. That’s just a fact. This engine didn’t appear out of thin air just recently, it’s been under development since 2017.

The writing has been on the wall for ages that Dodge could not continue on its current path for much longer.
Old 03-08-24, 10:34 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
That would have been a way better idea.

It's a mixed bag for me. I won't be too harsh on it until I see it in person. The 5,800+ weight is lol. This thing will be over 3 tons once most people sit in it.
Way too heavy.

They need to trim it up.
Old 03-08-24, 10:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

They can’t just rely on EVs from another brand on the umbrella to meet their goals. That is a poor strategy. Giving Dodge owners a choice is smart, although I do question them leading with the EV vs. ICE. Dodge’s brand CEO is a 31 year Chrysler veteran, not some European that’s never touched foot on American soil.
They're leading with the EV because it was going to be EV only, they changed track and added the I6 option.

Quick Reply: 2024 Dodge Charger